Call myself System Admin, What a joke

iyengar

Adept
Guys,

Problem statement: Computer with no display.

Background: I had recently upgraded by system. from Core2Duo to i3 and below is my system spec
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 6th Gen LGA 1151 Processor with Cooler Master Hyper 212X - Premium Air CPU cooler
M/B: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 Socket LGA 1151 Motherboard (Black)
RAM: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz C16 Red Kit for X99 Chipset
GPU: Sapphire Radeon NITRO RX 460 4GB GDDR5 HDMI/DVI-D/DP OC (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card
PSU: Corsair HX750W
Tower: Cooler Master: HAF 912
Monitor: BenQ GL2450
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Dx with Logitech Z-5500 5.1 connected
Others: 250 GB dedicated SATA HDD for OS and 3 other SATA HDDs, USB DVD R/W optical drive

My ineffective works to make it work
1. Had bought HDMI cable from US and tried switching it on. - No display here (doubted cable)
2. Purchased DVI cable (Male2Male) - No display here (doubted cable)
3. Purchased new BAFO HDMI cable - No display here (doubted cable)
4. Purchased Amazon Basics DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - No display here (doubted cable)
5. The following are purchased from Amazon and yet to be tested
5.1 Rts™ High Quality Hdmi To Vga Converter Adapter Cable
5.2 ENSURE Basics High Speed Gold Plated 24+1 DVI-D Dual Link Male to Male Digital Analog Monitor Video Cable
5.3 AmazonBasics DVI to HDMI Adapter Cable, 3 Feet

I don't know, and feel desperate and have no clue what to do or how to fix. I really need your advice and help please

Regards
Iyengar

If you have another compatible ram lying around, you can try booting up with that. It can also be bad ram ( or ram not properly inserted in the mobo) or bad onboard video, in that case you can try with your graphics card to get display as well.

Check 6 pin power to graphics card and see if the card is seated properly in the slot. Also how did you give the gpu or monitor the benefit of doubt? All you did was buy 4-5 hdmi cables and wasted time. You could have used hdmi cables that are known to work properly with tv or stb etc and found out if the gpu was at fault. I'm sure most of the cables you bought work fine. Its probably outdated bios or or some other software issue in windows. You could try installing the gpu and instead of attaching the monitor, attach a led tv to the pc via hdmi cable. If you can see video it could mean the monitor is not compatible with the gpu.

If you have another compatible ram lying around, you can try booting up with that. It can also be bad ram ( or ram not properly inserted in the mobo) or bad onboard video, in that case you can try with your graphics card to get display as well.

I'm not sure if i'm reading it right. My system works perfectly without GPU (with VGA cable) No issues what so ever. However, My system doesn't show display (only) with GPU inserted. Keyboard responds with num lock / caps lock buttons. GPU has DIV-I, HDMI, Display Port and my monitor has VGA, DVI-I, HGMI ports. IF this info helps for your assessment.

Check 6 pin power to graphics card and see if the card is seated properly in the slot. Also how did you give the gpu or monitor the benefit of doubt? All you did was buy 4-5 hdmi cables and wasted time. You could have used hdmi cables that are known to work properly with tv or stb etc and found out if the gpu was at fault. I'm sure most of the cables you bought work fine. Its probably outdated bios or or some other software issue in windows. You could try installing the gpu and instead of attaching the monitor, attach a led tv to the pc via hdmi cable. If you can see video it could mean the monitor is not compatible with the gpu.

Did that test. Took it to Systems shop and it switched on with display intact in small screen size (15 / 16 " monitor maybe)

My Monitor is just 24" 2014 version and my friends say, it would work flawless.

did you try disabling the on board video in BIOS?, even though it must switch to PCI-E graphics automatically, its one item to check..

Did that test. Took it to Systems shop and it switched on with display intact in small screen size (15 / 16 " monitor maybe)

My Monitor is just 24" 2014 version and my friends say, it would work flawless.
did you take your monitor too and check it individually?

did you try disabling the on board video in BIOS?, even though it must switch to PCI-E graphics automatically, its one item to check..
That's bit risky considering, I need to remove battery to reset the settings each time I fail. As i said, this thing worked with different monitor with VGA to DVI adapter in smaller monitor[DOUBLEPOST=1483083229][/DOUBLEPOST]
did you take your monitor too and check it individually?
I'm afraid "No". Since carrying this RIG 10 kms away in SP Road Bangalore to check if the fault is from CARD or System, or Cable or monitor.

In one sentence, except monitor and cables, the rig works.

does your monitor have some physical setting to select the display ports or does it auto select hdmi/vga/dvi port?
Did you test hdmi cables with tv?

does your monitor have some physical setting to select the display ports or does it auto select hdmi/vga/dvi port?
Did you test hdmi cables with tv?
Benq has option (more like button) called Auto should pick up the display from which ever port my cables are plugged in. This time... it just says no signal detected.

Fortunately or otherwise I have only CRT and no way to test HDMI cables functionality. Talk about "bad luck"

Benq has option (more like button) called Auto should pick up the display from which ever port my cables are plugged in. This time... it just says no signal detected.

Fortunately or otherwise I have only CRT and no way to test HDMI cables functionality. Talk about "bad luck"
Auto is ok. Why not give a try of switching it manually? If that is not working, you will have to test your monitor first.

I was using the very same monitor before I switched to the high end just a month ago. I can tell you it wont take the connectivity automatically sometimes

Don't you have neighbors who have a led tv? Just ask them to test the hdmi cables. Or you can ask your work colleagues or even test the HDMI cables with a computer at office. Just ask your superior first. Once we know for sure cables are not at fault we can turn the attention to other things down the line. If you still think cable is at fault, get a Blue Rigger hdmi cable from Amazon. Around 350 for a 3ft cable and supports a lot of devices.

Auto is ok. Why not give a try of switching it manually? If that is not working, you will have to test your monitor first.

I was using the very same monitor before I switched to the high end just a month ago. I can tell you it wont take the connectivity automatically sometimes
I did not have to change before, when I had card or not.. It was working automatically. I'm super frustrated that I'm not able to fix the issue.

Don't you have neighbors who have a led tv? Just ask them to test the hdmi cables. Or you can ask your work colleagues or even test the HDMI cables with a computer at office. Just ask your superior first. Once we know for sure cables are not at fault we can turn the attention to other things down the line. If you still think cable is at fault, get a Blue Rigger hdmi cable from Amazon. Around 350 for a 3ft cable and supports a lot of devices.
I will try testing the HDMI cables, but the one I bought day before yesterday is branded. I somewhat have confidence that i might be a good cable.

I recently bought the BenQ 2460, and have the PC connected to D-sub while PS3 connected with HDMI. Although it does have the auto detect option, if I have been using the PC and next time I turn on the PS3, I get the no signal message. Then after I manually select the input, the display comes up.

I recently bought the BenQ 2460, and have the PC connected to D-sub while PS3 connected with HDMI. Although it does have the auto detect option, if I have been using the PC and next time I turn on the PS3, I get the no signal message. Then after I manually select the input, the display comes up.
Thanks man, I'm not sure of Input button. However, I have buttons such as "Auto", "Menu", Brightness, Contrast, Enter, Power button.

Believe Me, with HDMI cable i have pressed all the buttons in vain.

I'm dead sure, I am not able to pin point the issue.

Back