Calling back home

YashBhatt

Insanely Idiotic
Adept
Hi guys,
This is a question for people living overseas and call india either using a VOIP service or some sort of calling cards, app etc.
Would like to know the best and the most affordable way to call India, any suggestions would be appreciated

Where are you based of?

Skype has quite good offers to calling in India however you would need unlimited local dialing for that option to be effective.

I am in US and use Dial91 service. It is prepaid as in I always recharge for $10 and forget about it. When the minutes fall below 100, I recharge again. I don't know if this is cheapest or not but works for me. I have unlimited US local calling in my cell phone plan so I it is ok since I can dial a local number and it connects to India number. Very satisfied with the voice quality.
Our usage is not much though, most usage is through FaceTime so my $10 also runs for like 3-4 Months.

Direct dialing without any calling card ? Or Direct dialing with some credit in google account ? Sorry I have never used hangouts app or dialer so i am not much aware about it.

Well, it lets you dial either a landline or mobile number using the 'Hangouts Dailer' app for Android/iOS
Charges you around 2¢ from Canada and 1¢ from U.S per minute. So basically you have to buy minutes just like a calling card but this is a VOIP service

Checked out Dial91, for $10 it gives you around 29 more minutes than Raza
How has your experience been with Dial91 ?

Well, it lets you dial either a landline or mobile number using the 'Hangouts Dailer' app for Android/iOS
Charges you around 2¢ from Canada and 1¢ from U.S per minute. So basically you have to buy minutes just like a calling card but this is a VOIP service

Checked out Dial91, for $10 it gives you around 29 more minutes than Raza
How has your experience been with Dial91 ?

I never used Raza but I keep seeing its ad on TV channels here (Indian TV channels). Dial 91 has been really good for me. Voice quality is very good and no dropped calls.
I am ok with VOIP service as long as voice quality does not suck as I have wifi at home and outside I have data but usually we don't make India calls when outside the house.

I have t-mobile 15USD unlimited India calling.

hate all the calling card services and voip. horrible voice qlty and some kinda delay. AND no direct dialing.I am lazy as one can be...

I have t-mobile 15USD unlimited India calling.

hate all the calling card services and voip. horrible voice qlty and some kinda delay. AND no direct dialing.I am lazy as one can be...

Not tried in US, but Rebtel has direct dialing. As in you get a corresponding local country number and you only dial that it connects to the India number. I used it in China and it worked very well. I have never faced any delay or voice quality issues with Dial 91.

Delay meaning.. When I talk, the other side goes mute kinda thing. They cannot talk simultaneous with me. like having an argument with those things are irritating. :). Used Rynga, Indiacalling something, Dial91. Then stopped.

Moved to lycamobile which gives direct dialing to India, now in T-Mobile.

there are infinite cheaper options to call india. but almost all of them have poor voice quality. after trying lots of them, i settled with Reliance and Rebtel.

My friend has a tmobile 120$ family plan and he added me to that. it turns out to be around 10$ a month for unlimited calling to many countries and unlimited calling in north america etc... good 4g data too.

^^^

Yup. I am my primary. 10 people in there. its like 50 + 30 for the first and second...then 10 each. This is the base plan. Divide by 10. Then add the extra features you like. I added UL 4G data and this calling. 45USD extra.

Tried Rebel yesterday, works pretty good with the local access number
I'm currently on Bell and they don't have any lucrative plans for calling back home :dead:

Back