Camera advice need please

Karweob

Recruit
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding a suitable replacement for my wife's aging Canon 5D mk1 that she inherited from her dad. The camera works fully and she has 2 lenses, a 28 - 100mm lense and a 400mm telephoto lens.
She has recently started taking photograph lessons to better understand all the settings on the camera, however is finding that she struggles with the size and weight of the camera and it lacks a number of modern features (through the viewfinder only, no movable screen etc).
My question is, what would be a decent replacement body, that can use the lenses she has. I realise that in its day, the 5D was a professional grade camera and seriously expensive... our budget won't get anywhere near the price of a 6D so it needs to be cheaper. I have been looking at the Nikon Coolpix B700 but not really knowing much about cameras, plus I want this to be a present for my wife.
Recommendations gratefully received!
Thanks.

Last edited:
In basics, try to understand camera from sensor point of view; larger than sensor area, better details your photo will have. Refer to below image for better understanding.

Canon 5D MK1 you posses, have full frame sensor. Where as Nikon B700 you have in mind is 1/2.3" sensor - look near smallest sensor size near left bottom corner. This is serious downgrade in terms of camera body and not recommended at all. Also to note quite many phones are coming with better sensor size than it. E.g. Huawei P30 Pro has 1/1.7" sensor.

To add further, when you buy camera which have interchangeable lenses, you move to different ecosystem as well. Like Canon uses EF lens mount for full frame camera (e.g. Canon 5D/6D), EF-S mount for APS-C camera and EF-M mount for mirrorless cameras. Hence here camera gets divided in main body and lenses.

At first, I would suggest you to assess what type of photography your spouse is comfortable with ? Focal length of current lenses is what she wants ?

General suggestion is to move to mirrorless camera for your situation. They are lighter in weight and overall size. But you have to consider lenses as well. Your current lenses can only fit to Canon Mirrorless camera only via an adapter. If you move to other ecosystem like say Sony, you can not use your current lenses.

Back