Android Can a (unresponsive) touch screen prob be really rectified ...

PoBoy

Skilled
... by a service centre? At a reasonable cost, of course.

My Moto X Style suddenly stopped registering screen taps in the centre of the phone. Is it worth taking it to a Motorola Service Centre?

Or, should I think of getting a new phone?

Screenshot of Moto Device Help -> Hardware test -> Touchscreen test :

Screenshot_20180806-115803.png

The centre 5 square rectangle in the middle all across the screen is the dead spot.

Look at the iFixit videos for this, see whether you can replace digitizer or full replacment is needed. Then, see cost of the same via ebay/aliexpress/local person. Next, check costs with ASSC for same.

Screen are anyways costly and even if just the digitizer goes bad service center will replace everything from display, digitizer to fingerprint, volume, power and lock keys. They say this comes as a set and cannot individually be applied.

Strange thing is if the volume, lock or power key goes bad they replace it on the spot wonder why dont they then replace everything which comes in the kit-display, digitizer,fingerprint, volume, power and lock keys.

Now when everything comes as a set itself then from where do theu procure only the physical keys?

This is how they fool customers globally.

hmm. I have same phone and same problem. Moto X style, touchscreen doesn't work ONLY in the area where the navigation keys are. This started in the monsoon. I am managing by installing a soft navigation keys app.
Plan is to try disassemble it and reseat the digitizer and other components. Can't find a screwdriver set whose T6 screwdriver bit is not broken.

People tell me I need a camera, not a phone. :)
Use the camera more than anything else.
Phone usage is v lite. Mainly WhatsApp, calls, messages, browsing.

Stock Android preferred.
At 17499 A2 seems to be a good buy.

If anyone here does get it, please confirm it has a Sony IMX486 + IMX376.
Price here in India seems a bit low, just wondering. It's €279 (approximately Rs 22,500) in EU.

Last edited:
Replace digitiser from local shop . This is done in a machine by seperating the digitiser from the LCD panel . Then rubbing the glue off the LCD via denatured alcohol . Then a new digitiser is put on the screen with liquid glue . This method is good as the LCD is the original one and not a cheap after market one . Only the digitiser is replaced .
Cheers !

Visit Alfa market outside andheri station towards west side. take a right from the chowk signal.
Else if borivali is near then head to Indraprastha Shopping Center and inside you will find all mobile repair shops on ground floor who will repair on the spot.

thanks. i live at mumbai east. any suggestions?
there are some small road side mobile repair stalls at sion, but i don't think you are referring to those type of shops.

In todays world there are shops everywhere. But finding the reliable one is a big pain.
Choice is upto you. I gave you the ref. where I have visited many times and referred by my friends who got it all fixed.

Maxbhi is a good source to find mobile replacement parts at good price! It has Digitizer for Moto X style.
Changing a dead or broken Digitizer is not a difficult task. Screen is heated using heat-gun so that glue between digitizer and LCD is melt, digitizer is removed, remaining glue is wiped out, new digitizer is placed and done. But the real problem is finding a good quality digitizer. Market is filled with cheap quality Chinese digitizer which may last only few months. Those are made with cheap plastic which breaks easily. Another problem is multitouch. These may be only 2 point multitouch instead of 5 or 10 point. One more thing. Getting your phone repaired from service center also doesn't mean that you will get the original one. Sometimes they also use the same Chinese and charge 4 to 5 times lol. Best course is to get a dead phone which has the original screen and get the digitizer changed.

If any one knows a reliable mobile repair shop any where, please mention. East, South Mumbai preferred.
I can buy a digitizer with/without screen (above post) and get them to change.

Is this https://www.maxbhi.com/touch-screen-digitizer-for-motorola-moto-x-style-32gb-white.html
really better than https://www.maxbhi.com/touch-screen-for-motorola-moto-x-style-32gb-black.html
One is 1000 other 4000 (orig prices). 700 vs 1500 now. But 1500 is white.[DOUBLEPOST=1533791536][/DOUBLEPOST]
Visit Alfa market outside andheri station towards west side. take a right from the chowk signal.
You are referring to the Irla Alfa, right ?

Last edited:
I don't think there will be any difference, except color. Better mail them to confirm. But before buying from Maxbhi, You should first check the local market. Digitizer has only 2 minutes warranty in local market. They will connect it, let you test it for a minute,gets the payment and done. So how will Maxbhi offer the warranty should be cehecked first by asking them. Maxbhi should be your last resort.

Why do they have a different digitizer for 16gb https://www.maxbhi.com/touch-screen-for-motorola-moto-x-style-16gb-black.html ?

Also, what constitutes the upper screen part ? Does that exclude soft navigation keys part ?

Please note: This part is a Touch Screen Digitizer Only! and is used with an existing LCD Screen. Touch Screen is useful only if you have a broken upper screen of you phone and the display is working fine. If your phone display is broken and you dont know which part you need then buy the complete "LCD with Touch Screen (folder)"

Usually Digitizer is same for different ram models for a particular phone. It changes only when screen resolution is different.

Mobile screen has two layers, Digitizer and LCD. Digitizer inputs the User's touch to mobile while LCD show the content to user. Both layers are glued together to act as a Mobile Screen. Sometimes Digitizer(Upper Layer ) is broken/ dead and LCD(Inner Layer) remains intact and fully working . In that case, Only Digitizer needs to be changed.
So Digitizer constitutes the upper screen part. And soft navigation keys are the part of Digitizer.

if the above post was addressed to me, no. I'm still using my Moto X Style (along with a Samsung GS3 as backup).
The middle 1cm of the Moto X Style is dead. I'm using it mainly as a camera.
Can't afford a good camera phone.

Back