Storage Solutions Can Hard drives keep up with growing Internet Speeds?

hash

Adept
Hi,

I've started working now and at my workplace we the first 2 weeks is full of "Tech Training".

And my tutor claimed this statement "In my old company we used to download Windows Vista from the Microsoft server and I've seen Internet speeds touch upto 40 GB/s,it's hardly takes 3 minutes" .

I had no objection to that statement until I started thinking how the heck can a Hard drive write 40 GB/s on to the platter ? or even SSD's on RAID ? .Some people on TE also have some screen shots of SPEEDTEST.NET which touch insane speed's! And the internet speeds are growing day by day will the hard drives be capable of keeping up with internet speeds?

it may be 40gbps... but that itself is quite insane and not available. 40mbps is believable.

he says it took around 3 minutes so assuming win vista iso to be 2.32 GB in size, (2.32*1024*8)/(3*60) ~= 100 Mbps

_

For a second here i thought the topic had to do with not having large enough HDD's to store all that ..umm...data that came over ten times faster than you expected it to :ashamed:

yeah, 40Gbits is like 4-5 Giga Bytes per second. No isp gives that speed.

Also i think the os + router will negotiate the speed with the server from which its downloading. If the speed exceeds the bandwidth then the server sending will drop the speeds down till which ever speed the router can handle at best i think. os will negotiate speed with router at speeds which it can keep up with. so even if you get a 100GByte connection, you dont need to worry about hdd not being able to keep up since the Os will do all the work and most probably with that type of speed the bandwidth won't be utilised fully.

^^^was that in india? don't think so! i am on a 256kbps unlimited connection and could do with a speed bump!

Bottlenecking a SATA II bus? Impossible even on lan even for a bunch of Solid state drives in raid, let alone magnetic drives.

hahaha.. 40 GB/s. I wonder what network he was on.. Maybe he had an optic fibre running into the computer..... connected to his backside at the other end ??

All crap your tutor has given you. Next time you meet him, tell him off !!

theoretically it should not take anything over 0.058sec to download that 2.32GB vista over that 40GB/s connection. :|

3mins is more like 13MBps ..or say 100mbps...he may also be downloading that over dc++ on a huge lan..

we get that much speed over 5net dc++ ..its a wide network spread all over mumbai.

why not pump up stats when the audience cant question you ehh ??!!

Back