Laptops Can I connect samsung 860 Evo to laptop M.2 port?

newuser990

Disciple
There are so many types of SSD and ports that I am confused. I am planning to buy a laptop with either a DVD drive (which I will replace with HDD using a caddy and put SSD in place of HDD) or a M.2 port but I am not sure if this M.2 port will support samsung 860 Evo (this one) ? Or do I need to but a M2 SSD (this one. Which is expensive than normal 460 Evo) to connect to M.2 port ?

And do laptops come with different ports other than M.2 port to connect SSD?

From the pictures you are showing, I am assuming that when you say SSD, you are talking about a SATA SSD. In that case the M.2 and SSD ports are different. An M.2 drive is much smaller than an SSD, and in most cases faster, and more expensive. Unless you are looking at applications that really need that speed, you would not notice any difference between the two.

The more erudite here can add to that, or repudiate my statement. I would defer to them

As for a laptop having ports, that depends on the laptop you are buying. some laptops do come with space for storage expansion while the others do not. Checking the specs should clear this out.

And no, you cannot connect an SSD to an M.2 port without a connector / convertor which would make no sense on a laptop. If you are looking for speed that is affordable go for the SSD, if you want just plain speed, and money is not a concern, go the M.2 way.

^ So just to confirm this one (https://www.onlyssd.com/product/samsung-860-evo-2-5-250gb-3d-nand-internal-sata-ssd-mz-76e250bw/) is a SATA SSD, right? and I can only connect it to a Sata port on laptop (i.e If I want to replace the HDD on laptop with a SSD then I should but this one only?) But since some laptops come with M.2 slot for SSD and if I want to connect a SSD to that M.2 Port then I would need a M.2 SSD (https://www.onlyssd.com/product/sam...-2280-250gb-sata-iii-3d-nand-ssd-mz-n6e250bw/), right?

Last edited:
M2 is a form factor so basically speaking it looks like a ram stick(while normal ssd looks like a thin rectangular box) which obviously cannot be connected to a normal sata port(& normal sata ssd can only be connected to a normal sata port). This clears the confusion between normal ssd & M2 ssd.

Now M2 ssd can be of 2 types: sata or NVMe. Basically what it means is that M2 port is not a port in itself but rather a bridge that connects M2 ssd to either a sata pathway on mobo or pcie pathway on mobo. By default M2 ssd is sata unless it is mentioned as NVMe(in which case it will be mentioned as pcie x2 or pcie x4). Most laptops have M2 sata port & only very expensive laptops come with M2 NVMe port.
M2 NVMe ssd:
https://www.onlyssd.com/product/samsung-960-evo-250gb-m-2-nvme-ssd/

There are so many types of SSD and ports that I am confused. I am planning to buy a laptop with either a DVD drive (which I will replace with HDD using a caddy and put SSD in place of HDD) or a M.2 port but I am not sure if this M.2 port will support samsung 860 Evo (this one) ? Or do I need to but a M2 SSD (this one. Which is expensive than normal 460 Evo) to connect to M.2 port ?

If you have an M2 port - this is best. Ensure that you can put any M2 SSD and are not limited to any particular model.

M2 port is of 2 types
M.2 SSD compatible and M.2 NVME SSD compatible
NVME SSD not recognized in M.2 port whereas opposite is true .
buy a laptop with NVME SSD if not available then come to M.2 SSD laptop . Dont go for 2.5 SSD . 1TB HDD and 256/512 M.2 SSD make a killer config .
I have it so .........
M.2 NVME read is 2800 MB/s https://www.ebay.in/itm/256GB-SSD-S...186855?hash=item285f936467:g:FbIAAOSw7btaqBo4
whereas normal M.2 is 550 MB/s .

Most users won't see any significant improvement using NVMe ssd over a good 2.5" ssd like Samsung evo. Only specific usage case scenario where 100000 IOPS like workload(server like environment or operations on very large databases) is done benefit significantly from using NVMe. Also NVMe ssd run much hotter than 2.5" ssd & if your laptop does not have a good airflow it may even result in physical damage(just check reviews of cheap NVMe on amazon.com).

Thanks guys.
NVME SSD and laptops with such port will be out of my budget. I am used to 5400rpm hard drive lol so I think even a Samsung Evo SATA SSD would be a huge improvement. And if I get a laptop with M2 port then I guess I would have to get the M.2 SATA SSD. a bit expensive than 2.5" SATA one but I think I can manage that.

Last edited:
Thinking of buying it from onlyssd.com. 1 question... is the GST included in price shown on the website? And is the shipping free, if not then how much will the shipping to delhi cost?

^ will buy from where the price is lowest. :)
It is only 5400/- on onlyssd thats why asking if GST is already included in it or not and if there is any shipping cost from onlyssd.

@newuser990 mostly yes, GST will be added extra at the time of purchase checkout. why dont you "partial" purchase the item? - put it in your cart and proceed to checkout screen without entering any payment info - it will then show added GST and shipping cost.[DOUBLEPOST=1535112315][/DOUBLEPOST]i tried it and seems total cost is 5400 flat :-D

Back