Can I use a bluetooth dongle to connect to my Bluetooth Earphones and use for Teams / Skype Calls?

raksrules

Elite
In my work laptop, the bluetooth is disabled through BIOS by the IT team and they say they cannot enable it now without physically having access to my laptop. Due to this, I need to use my wired earphones. But I have bluetooth earphones which I wanted to use with this laptop so I am planning to buy the below USB Bluetooth Dongle.
Will this allow me to talk using my bluetooth earphones which have inbuilt mic? I use Teams and Skype in work laptop for my calls.

My office laptop has windows 10 and I DO NOT have admin right on this laptop. The description says the dongle is plug and play in windows 10 so hopefully it should work without needed admin rights.

Last edited:
It should work as Teams and Skype has Audio/Video settings dialog to select the USB (I'm assuming that you're on Win 10).

You can also do one thing - keep the settings on Teams and Skype to system default/default communication device and switch the audio between wired to USB using volume icon in taskbar.

Hope this helps

Although it should be plug and play, it may ask for admin rights for install, which can be done over remote desktop software used.

In my work laptop, the bluetooth is disabled through BIOS by the IT team and they say they cannot enable it now without physically having access to my laptop. Due to this, I need to use my wired earphones. But I have bluetooth earphones which I wanted to use with this laptop so I am planning to buy the below USB Bluetooth Dongle.
Will this allow me to talk using my bluetooth earphones which have inbuilt mic? I use Teams and Skype in work laptop for my calls.

My office laptop has windows 10 and I DO NOT have admin right on this laptop. The description says the dongle is plug and play in windows 10 so hopefully it should work without needed admin rights.
Even though usb is blocked for storage devices this should work as pnp as win 10 installs the basic software sufficient to run the hardware. But if your local IT has trigger/tool enabled to monitor user activity etc. the be ready for a valid answer or to face the Complaince team during your laptop audit.

Even though usb is blocked for storage devices this should work as pnp as win 10 installs the basic software sufficient to run the hardware. But if your local IT has trigger/tool enabled to monitor user activity etc. the be ready for a valid answer or to face the Complaince team during your laptop audit.

As expected the device was disabled when connected to the laptop. I will have to ask the local IT if they can enable it.
Under device manager It shows "Generic Bluetooth Radio". Let's see how It goes.

As expected the device was disabled when connected to the laptop. I will have to ask the local IT if they can enable it.
Under device manager It shows "Generic Bluetooth Radio". Let's see how It goes.

well just curious to ask if you can able to hack it your admin account just my curious to ask ..

Last edited:
Dude why you suggesting something unethical to do on his office provided laptop?

I also thought he was saying something on those lines. Being office laptop, I am not going to do anything like that. I tried to plug it in and it didn't work. Now I have raised a request with the IT Team to see if they will install it.

I also thought he was saying something on those lines. Being office laptop, I am not going to do anything like that. I tried to plug it in and it didn't work. Now I have raised a request with the IT Team to see if they will install it.
Yes thats the best thing to do esp. in current situation where cos. are looking to lay-off their employees & for such compliance reason you might get fired without seconds thoughts or any explanation asked as well as blacklisted.

So better sit idle rather than doing something stupid.

We too are asked to install a new VPN tool but we dont have rights & credentials to do so and hence still using old ones despite warnings. Local IT guys is a good friend and he offered me admin credentials to do on my own but I plainly denied stating its your job and do whenever you feel so as I have already shoot the email.
SO simply play it safe.

The IT team enabled the inbuilt bluetooth of my work laptop and now I can use my own bluetooth earphones. The TP Link dongle is of no use now. Hopefully I can sell those.

Yes thats the best thing to do esp. in current situation where cos. are looking to lay-off their employees & for such compliance reason you might get fired without seconds thoughts or any explanation asked as well as blacklisted.

So better sit idle rather than doing something stupid.

We too are asked to install a new VPN tool but we dont have rights & credentials to do so and hence still using old ones despite warnings. Local IT guys is a good friend and he offered me admin credentials to do on my own but I plainly denied stating its your job and do whenever you feel so as I have already shoot the email.
SO simply play it safe.
+1
Never take IT stuff lightly. It is all fine until it isn't.
Especially if you are dealing with even slightly confidential client data.

IT culture is rather poor in most companies and people take things lightly but when something goes wrong, the top people will not think twice to make you the scapegoat.

Back