Can i use heat shrink tube for insulating electrical pliers?

6pack

ex-Mod
I got some old pliers with bad insulation. one plier's insulation just broke and fell apart and other pliers insulation allows electric current to pass through it. Both pliers are in good condition and i was thinking of replacing the insulation on them.

Saw these on amazon - https://www.amazon.in/Polyolefin-Heatshrink-Tube-Meters-Sleeve-Blue/dp/B0771TCRYK

Will these work? Pliers have curved handles and i measured 10mm diameter at fattest point and 7 or 8mm at narrowest point.
The heat shrink tubes dielectric strength are rated at 15-20 kv/mm. I was thinking of getting both 8mm and 10 mm different colours and put the 10mm on top of 8mm one. Would that work to give > 400V insulation to the pliers? I've seen some product details mention electrical insulation upto 600V.

I don't have a heat gun or hand dryer. Can a lpg gas flame be used to heat shrink these?

Dude.

You're gonna spend 410 bucks on heat shrink ? Just buy new friggin pliers !

Your plan would probably work, should be safe for 220V household.

Heatshrink should work but it depends on how good you wrap them, for our common house hold voltage it's should be fine but is all trouble worth it.
If I where you I would just buy a new pliers.

He does seem to have multiple pliers so that's there.

About your question about heating, you can use a ciggy lighter. Better than a stove because you can move it about quickly to the required spots, whereas you would have to keep moving the pliers over the stove burner, and would be hard to properly get the insides of the legs.

Back in the day before smartphones, every decent mobile dealer had a heat gun to 'laminate' cellphones. You might still be able to find a guy with a gun. Gives best results. Hair dryer isn't really hot enough or focused enough.

may be you can try using flexible pvc tube or a sealant like m-seal !

and heat gun should be available with a mobile phone servicing center

Those Taparia pliers is available in shop for 170 or such. Chinese stuff for 120-150. I'll search in shops for these heat shrink tubes. If I don't find them, I guess I'll have to buy a new insulated plier from a shop. My original pliers are like 50+ years old. Older than me. All of the tools are hand me downs. So I thought its better to take care of them than buy new ones.

Please don't try any jugaad with something as dangerous as electric pliers. If you still want to use the old pliers, buy insulating gloves which you can buy for 400-1000 bucks rated for 11-33kV. I bought one for my local lineman as the govt provided ones were showing their age.
I personally have a Knipex Electric combination plier rated for 1000V but buying such expensive tools is not for everyone, especially if they'll rarely get to use them.

Those Taparia pliers is available in shop for 170 or such. Chinese stuff for 120-150. I'll search in shops for these heat shrink tubes. If I don't find them, I guess I'll have to buy a new insulated plier from a shop. My original pliers are like 50+ years old. Older than me. All of the tools are hand me downs. So I thought its better to take care of them than buy new ones.

I too have old tools which are British made but I do not use them. Moderns tools for the most part are more accurate, with tighter tolerance.

Back