CPU/Mobo Can I use the fan connectors on the motherboard ?

zero_cool

Disciple
hey guys
i just finished installing my motherboard and since this is the first time i will be using a relatively advanced motherboard i dont have much idea about how stuff works on it

i have 3 fans in my cabinet and i guess i should connect them to the motherboard

there are 2 system fan connectors

one is of 3 pins
0dJow.jpg

other is of 4 pins
2vv751x.jpg

and 1 pwr fan connector with 3 pins
11jyf81.jpg

please tell me if i can connect the fans to these connectors or should i avoid any connectors

Re: fan connectors on the motherboard

Wait this is not clear, first how many fan connectors are there on your mobo, whether they are of 3pins?
You have 3 chassis fan, do all of them have 3pins or 4 pins??

Wait this is not clear, first how many fan connectors are there on your mobo, whether they are of 3pins?

You have 3 chassis fan, do all of them have 3pins or 4 pins??

these 3 connectors are the all that the motherboard has

and the fans connectors have 3 pins each

Then just simply connect each fan to the connector on the mobo, as these fans are 3 pins, you will have their rpm reading as well :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Regarding that 4 pin connector on the mobo, check it carefully you can connect a 3pin fan to that connector only in one way

Yes. The 4 pin connector is for CPU fan. You may connect other fans to this slot if you wish, and you can control the fan speed even for 3 pin fans if connected to this using software like fanspeed. Also there are molex to 3 pin power connector available for connecting additional fan, and its recommended to use more of that for high performance fans (like delta/scythe kaze/panaflo etc) and those needs lots of power almost close to 6~12W each and draining so much power from a mobo socket can even kill some mobos.

dOm1naTOr said:
Yes. The 4 pin connector is for CPU fan. You may connect other fans to this slot if you wish, and you can control the fan speed even for 3 pin fans if connected to this using software like fanspeed. Also there are molex to 3 pin power connector available for connecting additional fan, and its recommended to use more of that for high performance fans (like delta/scythe kaze/panaflo etc) and those needs lots of power almost close to 6~12W each and draining so much power from a mobo socket can even kill some mobos.

No mate check the 2nd pic, its sys_fan2

OH yes, but the first one doesnt look like a fan Pin. The pins are at the center line of that black base, unlike others. Might be a jumper slot. Compare it with the 3rd pic.

dOm1naTOr said:
OH yes, but the first one doesnt look like a fan Pin. The pins are at the center line of that black base, unlike others. Might be a jumper slot. Compare it with the 3rd pic.
Oops you are wrong again, the 1st one is indeed a fan connector, check carefully is written there sys_fan1

But its also written> KB MS USB. Mist probably a K/B Mouse jumper slot. Gyaan on the mobo model would solve this confusion ;)

CA50 said:
Oops you are wrong again, the 1st one is indeed a fan connector, check carefully is written there sys_fan1

its this jumper

"Keyboard/ USB/ USB1 Power On

Enable/Disabled "

capturenft.jpg

dOm1naTOr said:
But its also written> KB MS USB. Mist probably a K/B Mouse jumper slot. Gyaan on the mobo model would solve this confusion ;)

its this jumper
"Keyboard/ USB/ USB1 Power On
Enable/Disabled "
mate i think thats the keyboard ps2 port at the top right corner of the mobo

oh man

i never saw this

i will be using the stock fans of my cooler master 690 advanced 2

all of them have 3 pins each

mate i think thats the keyboard ps2 port at the top right corner of the mobo

yes CA50

in the top right corner they are the keyboard/mouse port and two usb slots
@OPL:

Please could you tell us, which board this is..?

its a gigabyte p67a ud3r

i havent started the system yet as i am still awaiting the ram

let me know if any of these ports are to be avoided

He should have:

# 2 x system fan headers

# 1 x power fan header

I guess that top one is a fan header too.

http://blog.itechtalk.com/wp-content...P67A-UD3R1.png

If we take the disputed one not to be a fan - header then where is the 2nd one..?

Ok, I looked at the manual...here you go. That is a Fan header.

^^thats it the problem is that one of the two system fan connector have 4 pins instead of the regular 3

wow you guys are so helpful

no friend of mine would have bothered to help me to this extent

thank you so much guys

and guys is it safe to plug in a fan with 3 pin connector into the 4 pin connector

But The is a jumper for KB_MS_USB in most mobos. Its even written on it, then where is the jumper pin? Maybe hidden by that heatsink. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway @OP. It doesnt matter how many fan headers are there on your mobo. Just get a molex to 3 pin converter for <50 bucks. Its safer too as you wont tax the mobo much to run all those fans. Only drawback is you cant monitor the fan speed in that way.

dOm1naTOr said:
But The is a jumper for KB_MS_USB in most mobos. Its even written on it, then where is the jumper pin? Maybe hidden by that heatsink. Can anyone confirm?

No mate check the pic that asingh have posted, there is no jumper there, just a fan connector and about that KM_MS_USB, OP had confirmed that there is a key board+mouse+2usb port there so the name KM_MS_USB
in the top right corner they are the keyboard/mouse port and two usb slots
@OP
Welcome mate, this is TE family and we all are happy to help each other :)

Back