Can ISP throttle speeds only for torrents?

Peering is good and all but torrents that are not cached work like crap. See the OP for typical symptoms of blocked inbound ports. Forget about the extra peering speed, you will not even get you'r normal cap speed if you don't upload properly. And very few torrents are actually cached.
I guess it depends on what you are downloading. I was referring to public torrents and not private trackers. I don't know if public trackers enforce the upload rule that much. I get my connection max speed of 2Mbps speed for non-cached torrents if enough peers are there.
My ISP limits the peering speed. So I get 8Mbps only for peered torrents. Previously I used to get 32-40 Mbps for peered torrents.

rarbg mostly. not really private. i think it's the protocol and not just the tracker kickban. peers themselves will kickban you if you don't have an open inbound port. just like @6pack mentioned in the OP, you will get full speed initially and then it will come down to almost zero if everyone bans you. typically takes 5 minutes for me. my workaround right now is to just keep disconnecting and reconnecting the PPPoE connection till i get one that works. no way of identifying really, uT port test shows open always. but there are two external IPs assigned to me. Anyway, with a 'good' IP i get ~1.35mB/s down on my 6mbps connection. Locally cached tors come in at ~10mB/s. Happy times @vivek.krishnan !

rarbg mostly. not really private. i think it's the protocol and not just the tracker kickban. peers themselves will kickban you if you don't have an open inbound port. just like @6pack mentioned in the OP, you will get full speed initially and then it will come down to almost zero if everyone bans you. typically takes 5 minutes for me. my workaround right now is to just keep disconnecting and reconnecting the PPPoE connection till i get one that works. no way of identifying really, uT port test shows open always. but there are two external IPs assigned to me. Anyway, with a 'good' IP i get ~1.35mB/s down on my 6mbps connection. Locally cached tors come in at ~10mB/s. Happy times @vivek.krishnan !
If you set your upload port as 80 or 8080, does it still happen?

Looks like days of Hathway Monopoly are finally over in my society (yay).. both Tata Broadband and Reliance Jio have approached my society to connect their fibre optic cables and offer 100 Mbps plans.

Which of these 2 would be better?? Also do any of these 2 guys block torrents?

Looks like days of Hathway Monopoly are finally over.. both Tata Broadband and Reliance Jio have approached my society to connect their fibre optic cables and offer 100 Mbps plans.

Which of these 2 would be better?? Also do any of these 2 guide block torrents?

Get both. More options = better.

I would say as of now, both do not block torrents, infact, Jio will be using an IPv6 backbone, which will be even better.

This ISP - Indiglo Infotel in Thane throttles everything. From cached YT videos to torrents and even sites like github etc.

I've noticed that whenever my cable isp gets bandwidth from this isp, all torrents come to a halt. Even the 2MBps I'm supposed to get comes down to 0.4-0.7Mbps speeds and this isp throttles YT videos if we watch more than 3-4 videos on full hd resolution. what as idiot isp this is. it should go out of business if it cant manage even cached content.

Once again issues on Hathway in Mumbai downloading torrents. Well seeded torrents are generating pathetic speeds. Also I'm royally fed up of them blocking a gazillion sites with that RED blocked notice.

Anyone get better speeds on torrents using Hathway? For reference - I'm on their GPON Fiber network with a 150Mbps unlimited plan.

Here's a screenshot of a torrent i'm trying to download for the better part of 3 hours with pathetic speeds.
Client: qBitorrent
Routing - Hathway Fiber Modem - Asus RT-88U router - Wifi 5Ghz - Dell XPS 13 laptop. Distance to router - 15 feet - no intervening walls.

I'm so fed up of trying to download any torrent on Hathway - I've been with them for years and even their DOCSIS connection wasn't as bad as this.

Anyone have any clue what to do?

It's probably double or even triple NATed, not much you can do. For free i.e.

If you use a VPN you could maybe get close to your full bandwidth.

If your torrents are relatively small and single files, try seedr.cc. you can do stuff on their site to increase space, i have a 5gb account now.

Best solution is a seedbox. xirvik is pretty good. i've only used their free promo, but it's dead now. https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/90zlif/free_seedbox_for_48_hours_xirvik/

It's probably double or even triple NATed, not much you can do. For free i.e.

If you use a VPN you could maybe get close to your full bandwidth.

If your torrents are relatively small and single files, try seedr.cc. you can do stuff on their site to increase space, i have a 5gb account now.

Best solution is a seedbox. xirvik is pretty good. i've only used their free promo, but it's dead now. https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/90zlif/free_seedbox_for_48_hours_xirvik/

Seedbox? Jesus. That's like going back in time to the early 2k's man when sharing ratios meant the best speeds and grabbing were only possible with Seedboxes

This sucks

Even I have problems with qbittorrent. It just stops downloading or uploading sometimes. One solution I found was to randomize the out port a few times and switch to encrypted utp connection only. Even transmission has this same problem. Both are based on libtorrent so probably its a libtorrent bug. qB is better than transmission though. I've seen it download at speeds of 1.2 - 2MBps on some torrents.

Seedbox? Jesus. That's like going back in time to the early 2k's man when sharing ratios meant the best speeds and grabbing were only possible with Seedboxes

This sucks

The worst part is all that ratio maintenance etc is not even applicable because you need a damn seedbox just to download from public trackers thanks to our damn ISPs. Seedboxes were essential for private tracker community seeding ratios, but now it's all nonsense.

Even I have problems with qbittorrent. It just stops downloading or uploading sometimes. One solution I found was to randomize the out port a few times and switch to encrypted utp connection only. Even transmission has this same problem. Both are based on libtorrent so probably its a libtorrent bug. qB is better than transmission though. I've seen it download at speeds of 1.2 - 2MBps on some torrents.

What ISP ? Again if it's a multiple NAT issue, the client is not the problem. And yes, sometimes outbound ports matter, sometimes it's just the time of day. My ISP seems to have some sort of contention ratio, because speeds are much better at off peak hours.

But why would Hathway suddenly give such poor performance on torrents?

Normal downloads are insanely fast. I update my itunes (which typically runs into 100's of MB's) in no time.

Wouldn't the NAT issue generally affect overall speeds and not just torrents?

No, just torrents. Because the BitTorrent protocol requires proper uploading (or at least a direct, unrestricted connection capable of uploading) in order to get good speeds. Not all clients enforce this strictly which is why you are able to get any speed at all.

Think of the NAT like a confusing maze which keeps the outbound packets from reaching the destination. If the peer you're downloading from cannot download from you or even establish a connection capable of downloading from you, they will just kick and ban you after some time.

Everything other than BT is just one way traffic basically.

Back