Can we put a fingerprint sensor on main door to lock/unlock ?

I would like to put a fingerprint sensor on door so my mother who is getting old does not have to keep walking steps to open door. Anywhere i can get it ? should also have a mnual unlock incase power failure etc.

thanks, let me ee the samsung and the yale ones. i guess my office too has a yale lock and it quite reliable though shieled from elements,

I've used a mechanical code lock when i was in Oman. It had a 10 digit numeric pad and 4 letters, ABCD. It was awesome because it didn't need power at all. Haven't seen that type anywhere else.

You can even install a smart lock with a smart bell with which your mother doesn't even have to move to open the door.Once someone presses the bell ,a notification will come up on her phone and she can talk with the person who rang the bell and if she wants she can open the door with just a swipe just like she swipes to receive a call.

As pointed out by Julian, there is no shortage here of models. However, most of them default to manual key unlock in case of power failure. Some (or almost all) have a PIN unlock so you can give the person the PIN to open the door in case of an emergency.

Additionally, before buying one, make sure there are zero or no vulnerabilities. I can't remember this, but I remember reading some models did have vulnerabilities which could be a hardcoded PIN or a proximity issue.

As pointed out by Julian, there is no shortage here of models. However, most of them default to manual key unlock in case of power failure. Some (or almost all) have a PIN unlock so you can give the person the PIN to open the door in case of an emergency.

Additionally, before buying one, make sure there are zero or no vulnerabilities. I can't remember this, but I remember reading some models did have vulnerabilities which could be a hardcoded PIN or a proximity issue.
any recommendations about nfc locks which open with smart card ala casey neistat style? :D

I would like to put a fingerprint sensor on door so my mother who is getting old does not have to keep walking steps to open door. Anywhere i can get it ? should also have a mnual unlock incase power failure etc.
There are some other types of locks which can open the door when a buzzer is pressed. I saw that in a teacher's house once. It was a strong magnet like the ones used in IT offices where you have to swipe to enter. Once she pressed the buzzer, it demagnetized the magnet keeping the door locked.
Not sure how it worked when there no electricity.

There are some other types of locks which can open the door when a buzzer is pressed. I saw that in a teacher's house once. It was a strong magnet like the ones used in IT offices where you have to swipe to enter. Once she pressed the buzzer, it demagnetized the magnet keeping the door locked.
Not sure how it worked when there no electricity.

Its an electromagnet, hence no electricity, door open.

Check if the fingerprints are not erased first...
Happens after 49+ age in Indian women..

Not always. It depends on the solenoid used really. It can be closed by default in the unpowered state and open only when energised.

Look at your washing machine inlet and drain valves...

Nopes, it is always that way only. What you are mentioning is something else - a solenoid which will enable/disable the lock, that is not magnetic.

Buying a cheap electronic lock will be no different and often worse than buying a cheap mechanical lock. Buy a lock that is fairly strong and reliable.

Nopes, it is always that way only. What you are mentioning is something else - a solenoid which will enable/disable the lock, that is not magnetic.

A solenoid is basically an electromagnet, regardless, a lock can be designed either way. Open when powered or closed when powered. It is just extremely unsafe design to unlock when unpowered. At least, i wouldn't. Anyone can break in just by cutting the power.

How does this work? If i were designing it, the magnet would close the bolt, on pressing the button, power would retract the bolt, so that in default unpowered state it would be locked, not open. I haven't seen this lock personally but I'm pretty sure it can be designed either way. NO or NC[DOUBLEPOST=1512051196][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok just checked the questions on the Amazon page and they confirmed it unlocks when unpowered.

Might make sense in some situations, like evacuation in case of fire and power loss

Back