Can we put all static DNS servers from different providers?

6pack

ex-Mod
In my router, there is option for putting 3 DNS servers and 1 wins server.

Can I put 1st DNS server as Google, 2nd as open DNS and 3rd as some other DNS server?

What will be the effect?

There will be no effect.

The first is the primary, the second the secondary and so on.

If it cannot contact the primary it will connect to secondary and so on.

Didn't want to open new thread. Getting a weird problem with internet. My internet keeps disconnecting every 5-10 minutes. After that it won't connect to isp for 40 seconds or so. This has been happening from past few days. I tried setting the MTU size which came out to be 1472 instead of the auto it was set before. No difference. Tried resetting router to factory defaults. No difference. Is this ISP fault or router fault?
Tried to call ISP but their lines are busy and wait list is in 2 digits.

I've faced similar issues and after blaming and complaining to the ISP and the finally trying a different router I realised the issue was with the device :D So try to borrow a router to check, to eliminate that possibility and save on headaches/delay trying to find a solution.

One more point - this is for int
Didn't want to open new thread. Getting a weird problem with internet. My internet keeps disconnecting every 5-10 minutes. After that it won't connect to isp for 40 seconds or so. This has been happening from past few days. I tried setting the MTU size which came out to be 1472 instead of the auto it was set before. No difference. Tried resetting router to factory defaults. No difference. Is this ISP fault or router fault?
Tried to call ISP but their lines are busy and wait list is in 2 digits.

Change router and check. Which ISP?

if you can come to my place, I can give you a dual LAN mobo which can be used for testing with pfsense/openwrt (x86)

I removed the Lan wire from router and put it in PC. Tried a ppoe connection. It didn't connect and gave some 603 error I think. Maybe they have set connection to Mac address. Calling them up is easy. Getting someone is hard. Waiting no doesn't change after 3 minutes.

Will Mac address spoofing work? Can it destroy hardware?

Usually PPPoE connections use mac address. Goto the settings and change the MAC to that of the router.

It won't destroy the HW

Nothing to do with DNS. Mostly, line condition. Check SNR and Attenuation values. Are you using BSNL ?

No, using local cable.[DOUBLEPOST=1499509265][/DOUBLEPOST]I got fed up of the constant disconnects and installed ddwrt. Just finished setup and troubleshooting etc. Will see how it goes.[DOUBLEPOST=1499533779][/DOUBLEPOST]Internet still disconnects every 15 minutes or so. I complained to the ISP. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:
ISP is ignoring me. Is the MI router on Amazon a good buy? Seems like we can put open wrt on it. Plus it's the only router with 64MB ram in that price.

ISP is ignoring me. Is the MI router on Amazon a good buy? Seems like we can put open wrt on it. Plus it's the only router with 64MB ram in that price.

This is the part I don't get - what are you going to do with 64MB on a device that has no USB support? For most users, even 2-8 MB is more than enough!

Looked good to me with dual antenna and all. Not sure about dd-wrt suppport[DOUBLEPOST=1499853437][/DOUBLEPOST]

How does this help ? Just like more RAM on a PC ?
According to MI india website, its already based on openwrt.

This is the part I don't get - what are you going to do with 64MB on a device that has no USB support? For most users, even 2-8 MB is more than enough!
You're right. All the routers with USB cost > 2.5K though. And all the routers which cost less than 1.5 k here don't have ddwrt support nor usb port on them. So i chose this, since it looked better than the rest in specs.

According to MI india website, its already based on openwrt.

You're right. All the routers with USB cost > 2.5K though. And all the routers which cost less than 1.5 k here don't have ddwrt support nor usb port on them. So i chose this, since it looked better than the rest in specs.

I use a 740N/841N at home, based on ddwrt/openwrt.

Problem not solved yet. ISP has given out more connections than it can handle. The contention ratio has probably gone for a toss. They're just closing tickets saying problem is solved when the net is disconnecting every 6 minutes now.

I have to look at the modem lights now before posting so I don't get caught when it's down. Can't even pay bills properly. Got stuck once when buying the router off Amazon and thought payment will get failed. Luckily it passed. Will have to buy mobile internet when it's time for monthly payments now. This ISP sucks really bad. I won't renew my plan after it expires in January. BSNL internet is as good as dead too.

I'll just download as much as possible now and stick to 3g. :(
Whole of July was a big waste of money.

Back