Android Can you help me identify this phone

dpandey

Adept
Someone gave this phone to my cook and she wanted my help in using it. It looks like a Moto G (I get the Moto logo on boot) but doesn't seem to have a SIM slot (CDMA?).

After a hard reset, it goes to an activation screen but cannot find the network it can use.

I was wondering if it just a paperweight now or is there a way to use it.

Attachments

• Moto_Phone.jpg
    Moto_Phone.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 265
if its a simless, then its useless as a phone.
you should try to utilise it in some other ways.

Tell your cook to get it checked with a technician once.
Technician's advise will be satisfying for him/her.

if its a simless, then its useless as a phone.
you should try to utilise it in some other ways.

Tell your cook to get it checked with a technician once.
Technician's advise will be satisfying for him/her.

Thanks @nimod Few more question:
Are there GSM simless phones? Or can I conclude that this is CDMA?
If it is GSM, why can't it find a network?
If it is CDMA, are the CDMA networks (Rel/Tata) still operational in India?

Edit:
One side (the side which has the sim slot) is broken. So I can't definitely say there is no sim slot. But I usually see "No SIM" message on other phones when there is no SIM.[DOUBLEPOST=1545285508][/DOUBLEPOST]Opened the back cover. It looks like there are two sims inside but both are stuck. The previous owner tried to take them out and broke the trays.

Attachments

• Moto_Sim.png
    Moto_Sim.png
    500.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Lol! The person screwed it hence gave it to your maid.
Last week a utensil salesman came at our place. Wife exchanged old utensils with new ones and while conversation that guy showed us Apple ipad who gave him for free in his previous visit.
I was stunned but realized that obviously no one would hand over an ipad just like that.
He asked me to check but the screen had big scratches internally and appeared it was banged on purpose though rest of the body and connections were all good.

Went to check it with someone in my building having apple products. Ipad wasn't getting charged up as well even after 15mins.

Are there GSM simless phones? Or can I conclude that this is CDMA?
If it is GSM, why can't it find a network?
If it is CDMA, are the CDMA networks (Rel/Tata) still operational in India?

I guess there are no GSM simless phones.
You saw two sim slots, that means its very likely an Indian handset.
That activation message is confusing me now.
No CDMA network is active in India now.

Anyway, this handset is not worth any efforts now.
We are already on 4G.

Someone gave this phone to my cook and she wanted my help in using it. It looks like a Moto G (I get the Moto logo on boot) but doesn't seem to have a SIM slot (CDMA?).

After a hard reset, it goes to an activation screen but cannot find the network it can use.

I was wondering if it just a paperweight now or is there a way to use it.

Can you get to Settings, About phone and check the model number?

Can you get to Settings, About phone and check the model number?
First, it would'nt let me go past the activation screen. But after 10 minutes of monkeying around, I got the android buttons. Killed the app and now it boots directly into android.
It is most probably a locked Verizon Wireless CDMA phone. The sim slots are just for show only :) I told her she can use it with wifi.

vzw3.jpg

Its one hell of a very old phone. Still on KitKat. I smell it 5yrs old from the version readings.
Can use by unlocking with a custom rom which will unlock it for any regions and make the sim slots usable.
Else using some online tools can unlock its network bind lock and make it sble to use on anywhere.

Need to dig hard in XDA.

Get the tray fixed if you know someone who can do it. Your maid should be able to use the phone at the very least with a Airtel/Vodafone-Idea SIM.

I was thinking about it but gave up after I saw the verizon/cdma in the image string. If it is a CDMA phone, wouldn't the radio HW be different (from GSM/3G)?

Thanks Guys.

Took a close look at the sim slot. Doesn't look like a sim slot at all. It seems there is a metal plate inside (instead of plastic for SIM). Unfortunately, there was a tragedy in their family and they had to leave town.

Will open it up she is interested in investigating further.

Back