Camera Canon 550D vs Nikon D5100. Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I guess I'l stick with the Canon 550D.

Any suggestions on what lens to buy in case I do not buy the bundled 18-55mm? Budget upto 10k.

Thanks!

^^ The only better replacement to the walk-around replacement is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 but it costs 18k. I would suggest get the kit lens and get the prime for 5k, a good start. Then based on your needs save up for better lenses.

I am also in the same situation deciding between Nikon 5100D and Canon 550D. But after reading up (not much) on the net and browsing this forum I am gravitating towards the Canon.

Spoke to a couple of dealers, getting it around 35K. The rates have gone up in the past few days.

Canon 600D is out of stock at most places.

Hey guys,
I went ahead and got the Nikon 5100D over the Canon 500D. No particular reason other than shortage of 550D in the market.
I asked couple of places for the lenses namely the 55-200mm for Nikon and was quoted around 9.5K, the same for Canon 55-250mm.
Nikon is going to launch a prime lens for 5100D and 3100D next week and it will be around 8.5K as opposed to Canon 5.5K.

So all this talk about Nikon lenses being expensive, yes they are but nothing out of the ordinary.

As of now just learning the camera and its features.

Regards

Hello!

I finally bought the 550D for 38.5k. Got a good deal (Camera + 18-55 IS Lens + 5.5 feet Tripod + UV Filter + Camera Bag + Cleaning kit + Memory card) :D

Congrats !!! :D

But just a few clarifications to your post - One the Nikon 55-200mm is definitely the same price as the Canon but its a good 50mm short on the long end.

Also the new 50mm lens that can AF with your camera costs a good $220 abroad so expect a 11k - 12k price at least.

BF1983 said:
Congrats !!! :D

But just a few clarifications to your post - One the Nikon 55-200mm is definitely the same price as the Canon but its a good 50mm short on the long end.

Also the new 50mm lens that can AF with your camera costs a good $220 abroad so expect a 11k - 12k price at least.

Thanks Brendon.

11-12K is a lot of money compared to Canon's 50mm. I will check with the dealer again about this Nikon lens and why he said it will cost around 8.5K.

As of now have just exploring the settings on camera and I'm really impressed with the picture quality thus far.

I am not sure this is the right forum, what mode do you guys shoot pics in? Do you always shoot in Manual mode? Or make use of the P, S, A and M modes?

^^ Aperture priority mode, is generally used the most. In case if in certain conditions the camera is not metering accurately use the Manual mode..

Aces170 said:
^^ Nah its not subjective in case of Rebel series, Nikon has superior ergonomics period. Also I dont know, why but a lot of users on the FB photography page, and now here also are posting information as Canon is easier to handle, or Nikon is easier to handle!! I dunno where this FUD is coming from, both are equally easy to operate.

Nikon D5100 is a fantastic camera, with the D7000 sensor, but as Hatter pointed out, Nikon's lens politics on the entry level sucks. You will miss out on the cheap prime lens in addition to a lot of AFD gems. The Nikon D90 should be for 38-39k (gray with which IMO is a much better deal).

Also 550D is good for the price, dont have anything to say against it at 34k price point.
Pardon my ignorance but what's the source of these prices? Where can I find the 550D for 34K? What I really wanna kno is the best place to get a DSLR at the best price.....either in Bangalore or Mumbai.....

^^ The 550D was selling at 34K until a few weeks ago. Quite a few forum members including myself got it at that price. Currently, due to shortage of stock (as per Brendon's post in a different thread) the prices have gone up again, and it is difficult to get a 550D at less than 38K.

At Bangalore, check out Fotocircle near Majestic. Contact Jayesh Mehta @ 98450 22654 and get a quote via SMS before going to his shop.

hirenmistry said:
Hey guys,

I went ahead and got the Nikon 5100D over the Canon 500D. No particular reason other than shortage of 550D in the market.

I asked couple of places for the lenses namely the 55-200mm for Nikon and was quoted around 9.5K, the same for Canon 55-250mm.

Nikon is going to launch a prime lens for 5100D and 3100D next week and it will be around 8.5K as opposed to Canon 5.5K.

So all this talk about Nikon lenses being expensive, yes they are but nothing out of the ordinary.

As of now just learning the camera and its features.

Regards
Hi, where did you buy it (dealer name and location would be helpful) and how much did you get it for?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

logistopath said:
^^ The 550D was selling at 34K until a few weeks ago. Quite a few forum members including myself got it at that price. Currently, due to shortage of stock (as per Brendon's post in a different thread) the prices have gone up again, and it is difficult to get a 550D at less than 38K.

At Bangalore, check out Fotocircle near Majestic. Contact Jayesh Mehta @ 98450 22654 and get a quote via SMS before going to his shop.
Thanks for the input. Does this guy deal in Nikon as well? If not, any b'lore based dealer suggestion for Nikon. What's the best price for D5100 at the moment?

Owned and using the Canon 550D for a month, it's really a pleasant experience. Played with a number of DSLRs at Foto Circle (owned by Jayesh Mehta) before finally zooming on 550D. In between, during a trip, tried my hand on Canon EOS 5D Mark II, which somewhat dampened the excitement with 550D :p

Additionally, the HD video capability of this model is also quite good. YouTube - ‪Canon EOS 550D sample video‬‏

Here, this should help.
Canon EOS 550D Review | PhotographyBLOG
Nikon D5100 Review | PhotographyBLOG

People (as in professional photographer i have met and spoken to) claim that, Nikon fairs better in indoor photography and night shots. Canon on the other hand is more of an outdoor good lights camera. They say Nikon likes to saturate the colors while processing the image to give a more bright and colored finish. While some like it, cause it makes the photograph more alive, others claim that since it can be achieved in photoshop it is unnecessary and it causes loss of detail.

I have never handled a Nikon, so i really don't know how Nikons are, but I have used a 550D and I liked it. Also I am kind of a Canon fan cause I've mostly used canon cameras. BUT, note that lots of people claim that the stock 18-55 lens they give with the canon is not good and the camera takes in a new form on other lenses. IMO, go meet a few of those shutterbug guys or some freelance photographers and ask for their advice. See what they have to say and see what you need and what you plan to do with it.

^^ Lol in that case you have spoken to wrong people. Tell them to take a blind test with Canon and Nikon Raw pics on similar lens, and ask them which is Canon and Nikon. Chances are they will not be able to make out. Maybe in Jpeg the cameras might be doing some post processing, but I doubt its what you say.

And yes I always maintained better lens is the key. Although Nikon's kit lens are better as compared to Canon. ISO performance (enables you take pictures in low light) is marginally better on the D5100 (as it has the D7000 sensor), however the D5100 lacks the AF motor, which makes all the AF-D Nikon lens pointless on the body. If you can buy a Nikon D90 buy it eyes closed, else get the 550D.

I am also in same position, trying to decide between 550D and D5100.

I am thinking to go with 550D.

Can you guys suggest me which lens should I buy? and also, should I get the kit lens or only body? My main interest of photography is landscape and high zoom (wild life, macro).

One more question, will these lenses work with other high end dSLR of Canon? (when I upgrade this camera in future)

Thanks a lot,
Mihir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back