Other Can't buy JioPhone due to T&C! Other options?

Neo-N

Skilled
I have a Jio 4G SIM that has a specifically selected number - This is not my primary number but an almost exact replica of my primary number. So far, I had kept it active as I was using it in my company iPhone 8. I changed companies and now only use my personal iPhone with the primary (non Jio) number.

I want the cheapest possible 4G phone just for keeping the Jio 4G SIM alive! I thought of buying the JioPhone (presently available for just about INR 800) but the below T&C fineprint is discouraging me:
Use of JioPhone
  • The JioPhone is available for continued use on the Recipient purchasing bundled recharge vouchers of an Authorized Carrier (presently Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited) from the Company or any of its authorized retailers for use in the JioPhone of a minimum value of Rs. 1,500/- per annum for a period of 3 years from the date of the first issue of the JioPhone.
Repossession of JioPhone
  • The Company has the right to repossess the JioPhone if the Recipient fails to purchase recharge vouchers as per Clause 2(b) above

They do not allow you to buy just the handset - You must necessarily provide your Aadhaar and get a new SIM as well - I could get it and throw away the SIM of the new number BUT because of above, I don't want to spend ~INR 800 for the JioPhone and then again spend another INR 1.5k in a year (my Jio number is already recharged for 1 year). :(

Knowing Mukeshbhai, I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually turned up at my doorstep for repossessing the handset! :p

Do I have any other cheap options? :D

Last edited:
To get a SIM, adhaar is not necessary. You only need to ask the dealer to process through paper CAF. Better go to a Jio exclusive store.
Whenever they come for repossession, tell them you have lost it.

Back