Camera Capturing videos from Sony Camcorder

My friend has a sony camcorder DCR HC 40.. the inbuilt picture package software is not capable of copying videos to harddisk(it directly copies into cd/dvd etc) So she uses STOIK capture which works fine..The OS is winxp..But there was no support for USB 2.0.

I hav in my system, win 2k pro with USB 2.0 drivers installed and everything connected.. here the picture quality is good.. but the STOIk app doesnt record/capture video sound..directx9 is also installed in my sys..

any solution?

Videos can't be transferred over USB 2.0 as DV cameras use raw AVI format (~13 GB per hour) which requires Firewire interface (IEEE1394) for transfers...
I had posted a tutorial on Video transfer/capture and conversion in the tutorials and guides section, that should help you out

blue diamond:

a few questions
is it minidv handy cam? or is it hi8
which application is bundled with it for recording?

a few answers :

it is indeed possible to transfer video from handycam to pc via usb 2.0 it can be considered as recording.
it requires sony usb drivers if u need it tell i will mail you
i have got mgi videowav for recording which records in avi and then renders in the format of your choice.

but i liked the mainconcept mpeg encoder for the sake of its simplicity and make sure you keep resulting avi file size less than or equal to 900 mbs.

i have made many cds with sony mini dv handycam of my friend on my pc.

if you need any help do tell me.

medpal said:
blue diamond:

i have made many cds with sony mini dv handycam of my friend on my pc.

Medpal, r u sure, its mini-dv..just wondering...cuz, i've a mini-dv cam...

And r u sure, it was the USB port itself...As far as I know, the current usb ports are not able to handle the massive data transfer rates of dv camcorders. Well, at least I can't transfer in my dv camcorder. Maybe u can, but the resulting pic quality?????

Can u give me the model number of that sony.

i wonder id dat's possible,....why not get a firewire pci for 500/- though....you'll also get a firewire cable along that retails independently for 250 :-O (wonder why though!)

k..
@medpal:
its a minidv not a hi8. sony DCR HC 40 is the model.
s/w bundled is "picture package"

@abhi:
she is using a p3 machine so i wonder whether it has a firewire port support.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it is indeed usb port and usb cable supplied with the cam.
the model is dcr-trv33

i do not have firewire port with me.

the resultant quality if kept in avi is good but if you reencode in vcd/ svcd then you notice degradation in quality.

can you please suggest the firewire card (make/model) with cable cost?

i wonder whether firwire will improve the capture quality or the handy cam will support it?

waiting for your answers.

Back