Car & Bike Car under 7 lakhs with ABS and Airbags

I am in need of a replacement of my 8 year old Tata Indigo in the next 6 months. Preferably by April 2015.
Usually it's just 2-3 ppl who would sit in the car but my folks keep visiting me every month. So with the upcoming additon of a child in the near future, I am looking at a comfortable 5 seater with good boot space.
my requirements are pretty contradictory and I know I have to compromise somewhere. But let me lay it out to you guys.

1.5-7 seater PETROL.(5 seater+baby seat).
2.cannot surpass 8.5 lakhs on road in bangalore. Registration +Misc is 1.5 lakhs in Bangalore. That leaves me with a proper 7 lakhs vehicle budget for the vehicle.
3. I have decided to place safety on top. So Airbags and ABS is important. But these are mostly available only on top end versions.
4. Will not go for Tata cars AGAIN!!!
5. According to my space and feature requirements, Ertiga or a good sedan should be ideal. But they all cost 12 lakhs. My options as I see are sub-4 meters cars.Dzire ZXi, Hyundai Xcent etc.
6. Open to used cars but I wont be able to pay in full. Intend to pay lakhs for down payment and make the rest as EMI(I hate EMIs!)
7. Any upcoming cars which are in the radar. What about the Ford Figo Sedan

Have you even considered the Chevy Enjoy?

I know two guys who have it, and both of them are mighty happy with it. Also takes care of your 7 seater requirement.

In b4 stereotype chinese car comment.

Of the lot u mentioned the xcent is an all rounder followed by the tata zest.
try the lower end mobilo, honda cars come with all safety features even at the lower end variants and it fits in your budget too.

can 5 people sit comfortably in an Xcent?atleast as mcuh as an I20?
It will go on my test drive list
It is okiesh comfortable. I don't remember much but we did TD Xcent once and we 3 people sat behind to see if 3 can seat and we were (i think) satisfied. But I don't remember it fully now.

I'm quite happy with my Ritz ZXi which has the two key things - ABS and Airbags; that you're looking for. And it can be had for about 6Lakhs :)

Not really sure if you can get a 5+baby-seat sitter under 7Lakhs. The person who suggested Chevy Enjoy has a point. It's quite a good car and with the upcoming December discounts/offer you can get that as well within your budget.

I see plenty of chevy enjoys running across Maharashtra/Gujarat carrying passengers. Even as far as its looks are concerned, it looks like a passenger vehicle to me. On the other hand a mobilo or ertiga look really good.

5 seater + Baby seat means you have to rule out all sedans (and sub 4 meter sedans) and hatchbacks. You only have option of those 7 seater ones like ertiga, mobilio and enjoy and such.

Just did a quick search. You can definitely get Enjoy for 8.5L with all the bells and whistles with their top model. For the Ertiga ZXi, which costs about 9.3L, you can wait it out and pick up your car in end of December or early next year as these guys will want to clear up their 2014 stock.

OT: Since you're OK with used cars, you can get some real good 2006-08 SUVs and MUVs like Innova, Scorpio, Captiva and Endeavor in that price. Also, here's a great offer on 2013 Ertiga ZDi http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-used-for-sale/43003/Bangalore/2013/Maruti/Ertiga.html/

Just did a quick search. You can definitely get Enjoy for 8.5L with all the bells and whistles with their top model. For the Ertiga ZXi, which costs about 9.3L, you can wait it out and pick up your car in end of December or early next year as these guys will want to clear up their 2014 stock.

OT: Since you're OK with used cars, you can get some real good 2006-08 SUVs and MUVs like Innova, Scorpio, Captiva and Endeavor in that price. Also, here's a great offer on 2013 Ertiga ZDi http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-used-for-sale/43003/Bangalore/2013/Maruti/Ertiga.html/

You get loads of discounts on the enjo, and you get zilch on the ertiga, so the 80k difference kind of gets increased to around 1.2-14 lakhs.

I wouldn't mind a Nissan Enjoy. Wifey ruled it out lookswise. So thats the end of it

I always dreamt of an i20. Though I20 is just a hatchback but I am really attracted to it.Top end petrol has all the gizmos and airbags(only front). My Parents would visit me only once month so I guess it could be adjusted.Luggage wise, 60:40 split seats is an advantage. Luggage rack on the roof is also an option.
Spacewise, it is not entirely a 5+ seater for sure. But I heard it is as good as the Dzire.But I am exploring my options.

I wouldn't mind a Nissan Enjoy. Wifey ruled it out lookswise. So thats the end of it

I always dreamt of an i20. Though I20 is just a hatchback but I am really attracted to it.Top end petrol has all the gizmos and airbags(only front). My Parents would visit me only once month so I guess it could be adjusted.Luggage wise, 60:40 split seats is an advantage. Luggage rack on the roof is also an option.
Spacewise, it is not entirely a 5+ seater for sure. But I heard it is as good as the Dzire.But I am exploring my options.
the i20 petrol is strictly ok imho. The diesel is a good car but the petrol aint nothing to talk abt. If by good u mean all the features it offers then thats a different topic altogether. But in terms of sheer performance, the new gen i20 elite petrol is nothing gr8 to write about.

i20 is much better then a Dzire space wise...
Even in the cargo space the dzire is just marginally ahead.
Very good family car, but yes expensive for what it offers.
Thats what I feel.

I have not taken a TD yet. But after research these things pose a bit of a concern-
C pillars are wider than usual
only front airbags
Window sills are higher when seated.I mean the glass area is smaller.
Rear window is smaller hindering the view. I am not much of a rear camera using kinda guy.

^yes, these are the things I also observed while test driving the car. The rear view out of the IRVM aint great plus the turning radius is quite big ( i think 5.2 meters).
And yes, inspite of all the space, the rear is a bit claustophobic , thanks to the higher window sill.
2 airbags is kindaa standard in the b+ segment. The only other car to have 6 airbags are the verna sx(o) and eco sport titanium plus.
If its a family car then the power from i20 petrol will suffice.
But most owners do quote the city mileage in single figures!

Anyway each of the cars have their own advantages and drawbacks. BTW if you are looking for a spacious petrol family car for the family under 7 lakhs and considering the i20 petrol, honda amaze might also be a tempting option and within the same price bracket.

Back