Career for Someone Out of Study for 15 Years?

ithehappy

Adept
Asking this on behalf of my friend. Him and I were classmates, we both passed secondary exam (its called Madhyamik exam here in WB) way back in 2003, but then a terrible accident happened with his family, and he lost his parents. He did appear in Higher secondary in 2005, but couldn't make it. And from that moment he stopped studying altogether, and worse off he got under the influence and sorts.

Anyway now, in the year 2017, he says that he wanna study again. So after asking in other places I asked him to join them open schools and he is gonna do that. So maybe he will pass in 2018, class 12 that is. But the thing is, after that, what should he pursue, in college I mean? Cause his age is same as mine (I think), so this year he will be 30 already, and then whole college study is left, so after everything is done he will be 32-33 I think. What could he do after that? Any idea?

He has zero financial background. No family background, nothing basically. So starting a business can't happen really. He was a better student than me by the way, funny how things turn around for some. So I think if he wanna do something, he can do it.

What type of jobs is he interested in? If he's not interested in anything no amount of advice will do him any difference.
Some business do not require financial backing - like running your own cab or auto etc. I think Uber or Ola has some course where they teach driving to people and give them cabs on long lease or have tie up with banks which provide loans to the drivers at low interest rates.
He could take up some design job like web designing or carpentry or interior design by working for small companies and interning there.
But he needs to complete his 12th first. Without that, then he could only do jobs like delivery guy for couriers (some of them require people to have their own bikes and drivers license) or salesman in stores.

Thanks guys. Well he is a competent and intelligent person, so he could pursue whatever he likes. But unfortunately I don't know what he likes LOL. He took the commerce stream in open school, now after passing class 12 next year (I hope he will pass) what should he take in college? I mean what degree and sorts? BBA or something like that, I mean which would help him the best to get a job later? I can help him financially to get a masters degree, however if that helps in anything, cause more study will mean even more count added to his age.

And with this insane amount of gap in his career, govt jobs are outta equation right? He simply keeps saying to me a job with pay of 10-12k PM will put him over the moon. Saddening :(

There are basic/ entry level jobs especially in companies based in IT parks that he can consider (e.g. i used to do subtitling work)
while most of the online listings do mention a degree as min., not all companies are strict on it.
some may allow him to join if he's enrolled in a part-time programme but again, depends on the type of work.
Long term however, a degree will greatly enhance his earning capacity over the course of his career.
if he's not sure of what to do then a BBA makes sense. it's not a degree that limits his job prospects and at the same time it keeps his higher studies opportunities open in case he does find something he wishes to pursue further.

Back