Career help !

I have 3+ years exp as a hardware support eng, done my mcse, ccna certifications. Planning to move to software testing. I know its off the track but atleast it would help me avoid long odd working hours and night shifts :)
I am even considering database admin training but don't have much of a clue 'bout the kind of salary it would fetch.

would appreciate your suggestions...

thanks..

lol..!! Why do you want to change your domain..?? Do you think if you become a software tester you won't have to work in Night shifts..??

Don't change your track...atleast now...after a long time as you have gathered a lot of experience and certification on your current domain. Rather find better options on your domain.

thedeadghost said:
atleast it would help me avoid long odd working hours and night shifts :)
Misconception, and generalisation :) 3 years in a domain is considered good, and you could probably try aiming higher in your field. I am not sure of the pay scales in hardware though.

if you are thinking about software testing seriously, do learn/get some training on some test automation tools/scripting tools which is used for testing.

If you have some expertise in the networking area, why not try that domain :)

i guess 3+ years experience ( if considered) should fetch you around 4~6L depending on the company and how relevant your skills are , and the profile

if your sole intention is to avoid night shifts/long working hours/odd working hours, DO NOT switch the the software industry. Just had a terrible weekend slogging for hours at office.

Networking is a good domain. Stick with it. If you are after Moolah then you might join the software industry (not sure though how well/ill paid your domain is).

It will help you avoid night shifts but you cant avoid long odd working hours. I dont think your support eng exp will be counted for software testing.

Start reading mags like STP to see if you really like testing.

IMO do not change your domain. Get into Infrastructure Management Services, your experience will matter a lot here. But yea, you might have to slog out in the night too for this. But for the moolah, this domain and your experience will count.

CeDrIc said:
IMO do not change your domain. Get into Infrastructure Management Services, your experience will matter a lot here. But yea, you might have to slog out in the night too for this. But for the moolah, this domain and your experience will count.

Since I have been in support funtion thats end user support all the while the packages offered are very limited say a max of 2~3 lac..since my qualification is no more then a b.com graduate

If not software testing how 'bout database admin ? I guess will have to choose from oracle or sql database admin.

what do you guys suggest...

thedeadghost said:
Since I have been in support funtion thats end user support all the while the packages offered are very limited say a max of 2~3 lac..since my qualification is no more then a b.com graduate

If not software testing how 'bout database admin ? I guess will have to choose from oracle or sql database admin.

Even i am in support now. Infrastrucutre Management Services. Though you are a B.Com grad, it doesnt matter after you have that 3yr exp. Cos you have the experience and you have the certifications. Why not go more deep into networking, do CCSA, CCIE. Mind you CCIE's get hell lotta moolah once they have good experience.

If you want to get into Database Admin, then i guess Oracle would be better if you like to do work manually (like writing hard core queries) else MS SQL for easiness.

CeDrIc said:
Even i am in support now. Infrastrucutre Management Services. Though you are a B.Com grad, it doesnt matter after you have that 3yr exp. Cos you have the experience and you have the certifications. Why not go more deep into networking, do CCSA, CCIE. Mind you CCIE's get hell lotta moolah once they have good experience.

If you want to get into Database Admin, then i guess Oracle would be better if you like to do work manually (like writing hard core queries) else MS SQL for easiness.

Thanks for the suggestion...

If you do want to get into Database administration, I would suggest you to go for Oracle certification (Oracle Certified DBA). Since you do not have prior experience as a DBA, it will be extremely difficult to convince people for a job as a DBA. The certificate will come to your rescue then. Two questions frequently asked to candidates applying for the post of DBA -

1. How many years of experience in handling databases?

2. What were the size of the databases?

Thus the suggestion of getting yourself certified.

Since you dont have any prior experience in database .It will be better if you decide on what you are going to do in database.

Do you want to administer ,Tune or query the database.

These 3 tasks are different altogether and you will need to spend time learning each of them.

It would be better if you decide what you want to do first?

Please dont get into Database considering pay scale.

thedeadghost said:

Since networking comes natural to you.. I would suggest get your acquainted and certified in Virtualisation.. there is huge scope here and almost all infrastructures now-a-days needs it. Thats what one of my networking friends did.

pinga123 said:
Since you dont have any prior experience in database .It will be better if you decide on what you are going to do in database.

Do you want to administer ,Tune or query the database.
These 3 tasks are different altogether and you will need to spend time learning each of them.
It would be better if you decide what you want to do first?
Please dont get into Database considering pay scale.

I think query the database should be a good option to me :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

tcpip said:
Since networking comes natural to you.. I would suggest get your acquainted and certified in Virtualisation.. there is huge scope here and almost all infrastructures now-a-days needs it. Thats what one of my networking friends did.

certification in virtulisation seems to be a good option but i am not sure if it has a good market share in India yet.

I have to be very careful now since I don't want to end up with all the certifications and doing the same customer support service job :)

Back