Career in Management Consultancy... Please help

rite said:
IMO if you aren't from IIT/Top 20 Colleges in the world(not top 20 in india), then you should go for a MBA from the best college which you can get yourself admission to.

If you can't make it to the IIMs, then go for a good college abroad.

An average MBA from the top 50-100 colleges in the world, with no work experience and regardless of his bachelors, should easily make a CTC of 12-18L or higher as a starter.

And within 5-10 years, you can expect the package to be 2-3 times approx even if you climb up at an average rate.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And I don't recommend an MBA because one need's it. Perhaps many people don't, but that is the only sure shot method to get a super quick and consistent rise in your package and make you future proof.
here we go again...

chiron said:
ok... let me try and ask my question a bit differently...

The way I see it, the essence of civil/mech engineering is understanding stresses and strains. I did a product design course and its essence was to try and properly understand a problem without thinking of a solution beforehand.

Similarly, I was wondering what is the basic teaching of an MBA.

I've worked as a site engineer(civil) for a couple of years and a big part of the job was to try an manage the use of labor and materials at least expense.

So, if I got an MBA would/how will it help me in doing something like that?
In addition to what greenie mentioned,

With MBA, its not so much about the functional/subjective knowledge either, Every company has a different way of working. Regardless of our specialization; In terms of theory its just an exposure to what Marketing / Sales / HR / Finance / Operations is, Their impact on each other.

During engineering our objective was to do our job in best possible way (Technical/Efficiency/Cost wise etc). During MBA, with the subjects/cases/PPTs that are taught, its aim is for us to think outside your our own domain and its consequences on the Business as a whole. Objective changes from Task specific to Business/Industry/Market specific.

I think its more about improving you Social Skills / Ability to Work in Teams / Presentation Skills / Learning to interpret + define the problem , Case Analysis / Time Management - Sure sounds like any general 'Guru' (or some odd Course) can help with these skills. And all of this doesn't necessarily need an MBA either, just that its slightly more productive in a class room environment and brand name of a reputable institute, only helps.

But then again, what do I know ! I used to bunk lectures during my engineering and now I end up bunking few during my management as well. :| :p

After all your ideas, am planning to prepare a resume which highlights the domain knowlegde that i have learnt in the past 2.5 years and also the focussing on other abilities which is needed for a management consultant. So targeting analyst or market research roles by which i will eventuallty get in as a management consultant down the line.

Can you please let me know any good business consultancy in Chennai ?

Back