Video CAS or DTH? What to choose?

zhopudey

Skilled
Time is running out :p While I for one will surely be glad to be rid of all the soaps :eek:hyeah:, my mom will want to take up the first option available :( So I guess it would be better to evaluate and check the options beforehand.

Anyone using CAS in mumbai? I believe I have incable. Would that make any difference? Will hathway be offering anything different?

I suggest get away from the Cable operators (last I heard, the CAS still links you to the Cable Operators).

Take DTH. Tatasky is pretty good..

As others have said DTH would be the best option to go for. However I would suggest you to wait for couple of weeks as DishTV is about to slash it's prices by almost 50% and if they do so TATA Sky will also do that.

NEW DELHI, DEC 20: Just days short of the mandatory implementation of the conditional access system (CAS) in the four metros on January 1, 2007, the Subhash Chandra-floated direct-to-home (DTH) service provider, Dish TV, plans to slash prices 49%, from Rs 2,950 to Rs 1,500 (including Rs 200 installation charge). The announcement will be made shortly.

Read this article for more:

Dish TV poised to spark price war by halving DTH rates

btw just in case people dont know... Read the fine print... This cost of 2950 or going to be 1500 is actually the rent for 5 years taken together... and not the price to purchase the box..

^^Yeah....that was quite scary! :O But I guess it would be the same for the DTH STB as well.
BTW, any idea what STBs are being offered for CAS and DTH? Last time someone had posted about the Tata STB, it seemed it offers only composite out. eeks! :no:

zhopudey said:
any idea what STBs are being offered for CAS and DTH? Last time someone had posted about the Tata STB, it seemed it offers only composite out. eeks! :no:

I got Hathway's CAS STB a couple of days back - cost for me as a Hathway B/B Internet customer was 500/- for the box. It has connections to TV via composite OR via RCA Video/Audio connectors. The brand of STB I got is HUMAX model ND-1000 C - made in Korea.. The moment I connected the STB on my old cable the image and sound quality on TV improved a helluva lot. :clap:

Linky for Hathway's STB ... Welcome to HUMAX [Global Website]

nukeu666 said:
there was an article in the papers yesterday that a CAS box will increase your power bill by 300/month atleast

IMHO, it is not correct. For approx Rs 5 per electric unit, it will take approx 83 watts of 24 hour x 30 days usage for power bill to increase by Rs. 300

STB hardly takes few watts, 10-20 W, average usage is 5-6 hours should not increase powe bills by few tens on rupee, may be 20-30.

I got my STB on the 31st night:bleh:
Incable - Some STB from TechnoTrends AG, Germany. Model Number IRD C2802-NG.
As per the manual "Typical Power Consumption is 10 Watts".
Dunno what that means though:bleh:

I must say...picture quality is better than normal TV.
I would rate it somewhere better than VCDs but not as good as DVDs.;)

XTerminator said:
I got my STB on the 31st night:bleh:
Incable - Some STB from TechnoTrends AG, Germany. Model Number IRD C2802-NG.

Is that TT-micro plus from technotrend? Have you got it from any cable provider in India?

yusuf said:
Is that TT-micro plus from technotrend? Have you got it from any cable provider in India?
Yes atleast thats what the box says:rofl:...Incable....

The packaging of the STB is somewhat...."exceptional". Hehehe.
Will try to post a pic if i can:p

Took it under the rental scheme....

PS:
Some drawbacks are the startup time of approx 20-30 secs.
Blank screen for 2-3 secs when changing channels.

Oh...and i forgot to mention that your TV is useless apart from the fact that it has a TV/AV function coz the STB is connected into one of your AV slots.

No need for a tuner on the TV.

CAS will be useless thing if the pricing is ridiculous.

i think the bill is gonna swell with implementation of CAS.

XTerminator said:
Oh...and i forgot to mention that your TV is useless

oh yeah right...ur TV is pretty useless once u get a STB.

they provide u a monitor with the STB for viewing the channels.

isn't it XT? :tongue:

lol...on serious note...only the STB remote works..

so ur TV remote will be useless...maybe thats what XT meant. :p

Back