CCTV setup help

jammy420

Adept
I am just trying to get a CCTV setup for a small stationery shop, for one of my relatives.

One camera is sufficient for the shop. One day - two days storage capacity should be sufficient. I have no idea of the cameras.
I am thinking like if there is a camera with a memory card slot, which can record and I can access it through phone, it will be easier for him.

open to other ways of setting up

Budget : as minimum as possible

You can get a home camera which only needs internet access (WiFi) and can access the same via cloud. Xiaomi has their Yi home camera for this. It should be around 2K from Amazon. Plus, it has a memory card slot, but AFAIK only 32GB card slot only.

If you want something that is non WiFi - get any IP camera with a slot, add a memory card in the slot and you are set. Ensure you forward the ports as per needed. This would be expensive though.

You can get a home camera which only needs internet access (WiFi) and can access the same via cloud. Xiaomi has their Yi home camera for this. It should be around 2K from Amazon. Plus, it has a memory card slot, but AFAIK only 32GB card slot only.

If you want something that is non WiFi - get any IP camera with a slot, add a memory card in the slot and you are set. Ensure you forward the ports as per needed. This would be expensive though.

Wasn't there a big concern on these IP cameras from a security pov? I know there were several research papers and articles printed online regarding the risks these IP cameras posed because a lot of them could be easily hacked through their exposure to the internet. Most of the cameras are based on the same Chinese designs that were vulnerable to exploits. Have those concerns been addressed with these brands?

Wasn't there a big concern on these IP cameras from a security pov? I know there were several research papers and articles printed online regarding the risks these IP cameras posed because a lot of them could be easily hacked through their exposure to the internet. Most of the cameras are based on the same Chinese designs that were vulnerable to exploits. Have those concerns been addressed with these brands?

Quite true. Many of them were just rebrands of some camera company (cough hikvision cough) as well as others and were easily bypassed using hardcoded backdoor addresses. However, to my knowledge, patches have been issued for the same. Still, you need to check that your device is patched.

Xiaomi has a decent reputation, plus you can hack the camera to avoid using Xiaomi's cloud stuff and do it local - if you want so. The other alternatives (Motorola, etc) are not so great and quite expensive, while the el cheapo unbranded Chinese stuff is not reliable.

Back