CES 2015: Dell Showcases XPS 13 with a Stunning display

swatkats

Skilled
knsNBOT.jpg

cDPaAA6.jpg

G0fFwyU.jpg

rDh0dys.jpg

Dell is back with a brand new XPS 13 this year at the Consumer Electronics Show, and it looks like the best one yet. After gradually improving the screen with a new model last year, 2015’s XPS 13 will ship with an even better and truly beautiful 13.3-inch “infinity” display. It has an incredibly tiny 5.2mm bezel on the top and sides. While previous models of the XPS 13 have always had an impressively small bezel, the latest feels truly edge-to-edge, and it’s dazzling to look at. Dell hasn’t just stopped at thin bezels, though, and the 2015 model now has an optional 3200 x 1800 high-resolution touchscreen display.

Dell is also using the latest fifth generation Intel Core i processors, starting at the Core i3 for the base model with options up to a Core i7 version. Memory options include only 4GB or 8GB, so that may disappoint some who are looking to use this as a daily workstation replacement thanks to the mini DisplayPort.

Dell is promising a massive 15 hours of battery life if you pick the 1920 x 1080 display option and a Core i5. That’s a huge claim we’ll have to test fully, but some of those gains are likely related to Intel’s Broadwell processor and the use of a power saving Sharp IGZO display. Dell is planning to release the new XPS 13 today in the US starting at $799 for the Core i3 model, all the way up to $1,899 for the Core i7 version with a QHD+ panel, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD.

Source: TheVerge

Either Intel must have made huge strides in keeping mobile processors cool during high performance since 1st generation or both these products are going to face severe throttling issues. I still own previous edition of Dell studio xps 1645 and the positioning of its exhaust vent has given users nightmares undermining the performance when you need it. I thought Dell must have learned something with its previous faulty design. I would be more than happy if it proves me wrong.

I just happened to go chat with Dell rep online via their India website and the guy claimed this would be available in India "by next month" but no info on pricing/configs :)

FINALLY! Good to see a sexy laptop finally coming from Dell. Although the panel does look glossy and I highly doubt it will pull off 10hrs+ with the FHD and i5 range but still good to see this come in. Hope it launches at 40. Would make an instant buy for me.

There's some good discussion on at http://forum.notebookreview.com/ under the Dell XPS section... few complaints here n there but overall people seem pleased with the device.[DOUBLEPOST=1422426828][/DOUBLEPOST]I dont know but Im guessing the mid range config (i5/8gb/256gb/FHD display) will cost around 1 lakh plus, and not sure what configs will reach India anyways...

That looks stunning (except the Dell logo). Reminds me of LG's shuriken display shown in CES a few years back - always wondered why that didn't take off.
In a day when 720-1080p is the norm in the mobiles, its almost criminal for vendors to offer 768p for most of the laptops.
I'd like DELL to get the 1100$ option with i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD in equiv INR pricing.

Last edited:
There's some good discussion on at http://forum.notebookreview.com/ under the Dell XPS section... few complaints here n there but overall people seem pleased with the device.[DOUBLEPOST=1422426828][/DOUBLEPOST]I dont know but Im guessing the mid range config (i5/8gb/256gb/FHD display) will cost around 1 lakh plus, and not sure what configs will reach India anyways...

The current i5/8gb/WVGA XPS is around 43k. So fine, if not 40 then 50 sounds good. But 1L+ seems highly unlikely.

I just noticed an i7 touch model at nearly Rs. 1.3 lakh is now available on the India website! Doesn't seem to be any other configs at the moment.

Saw a lot of reviews. Only the harddisk is upgradable. Rest is not. So basically comes witht he same problems that come with Apple devices which can match it in its beauty. Except Apple is not Dell, and has products that have a much longer legacy. If they could have priced it 20-30% lesser than comparable macbook pro, it would have been hard to beat. But knowing PC manufacturers, they are best at shooting themselves in the foot with their pricing.

Saw a lot of reviews. Only the harddisk is upgradable. Rest is not. So basically comes witht he same problems that come with Apple devices which can match it in its beauty. Except Apple is not Dell, and has products that have a much longer legacy. If they could have priced it 20-30% lesser than comparable macbook pro, it would have been hard to beat. But knowing PC manufacturers, they are best at shooting themselves in the foot with their pricing.

Hard drive and wireless card. But this is to be expected, you can't compete with Apple without slimming down and making your ultrabook lighter and theres no chance of that happening unless you start soldering and start making parts non-removable. Besides, if you want a slightly upgradeable system, you can always pick a larger laptop with better specs and the ability to interchange parts. The choice is always there and this is better than nothing, Macbooks are not upgradeable at all. Infact newer Macbooks have their pcie SSDs exposed and removeable, but Apple being Apple, deliberately changed their pcie slot so there are currently no third party SSD upgrades for them yet.

As for pricing, you're looking at it wrong. A few years ago, if you asked me to choose between a Macbook or a high-end Dell/Sony/HP laptop, I'd have hands down said Macbook or Macbook Pro. The only people who came remotely close to them were Lenovo with their Thinkpads and even then, they were only a hit among business people/professionals. No one else could make a sturdy, well designed laptop that could last long, have great battery life, look good and even continue to improve that with great features like the magsafe charger or retina displays (for eg.). There were a few sparks here and there from Dell, Sony and Lenovo but no one could really pull off a solid product. Today, everything is different. Lenovo, HP, Dell and even Sony (uptil last year) are making sexy ultrabooks that can actually come close to the Macbook. Heck uptil last year, Acer was leading the ultrabook charge with the S7 and was almost comparable to the old Macbook 2013 in terms of several features and build quality. Today look at the XPS13, hardly $999 and trying to take on the Macbook Air and Pro based on featureset and quality alone, and is actually winning. The XPS13 has an equally good battery life, great build quality, great keyboard and trackpad, unique display and even their chargers are smaller and can charge phones too with their extra USB slot. Isn't this already not good enough to justify being close to Apple pricing? And there are still more options, Asus has come up with the UX300 series which has great build quality, features, battery life and is slimmer than the new Macbook and all for 900$ which is cheaper.

And I'm not even talking about all the other cool and unique laptops on the market. You can buy a Lenovo Flex for much lesser next to the Macbook and that can go between laptop, tablet and stand mode and is quite sturdy, well built and actually has some sort of battery life. Acer and Dell are one step ahead of that also with great ultrabooks that not only look good but can switch between those modes IN-BEZEL with the R13 series and XPS12. Besides this, there are also great gaming laptops from MSI and Alienware which have switchable graphic chips which can last 5hours long making them suitable for daily usage/work too rather than just desktop replacements.

No one is shooting themselves in the foot. For the first time in years, laptop makers are finally able to compete with the Macbook and they deserve to set such high prices when they are close and in some cases, crossing the Macbook also.

Last edited:
Has anyone bought (or planning to buy) this either from India or abroad yet by any chance? Seems like a better alternative to the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon which is priced at 1.8[DOUBLEPOST=1426512434][/DOUBLEPOST]The India dell store (compuindia.com) has been showing the stock at 9 units available for the last few days :D

I really don't understand this stupid strategy of the laptop vendors in India. They always mess up the pricing and on top of that they bring only the high end models. If they bought the base and medium variants of XPS 13, I bet their sales number would have increased a few folds up.

Indeed. I'm tempted to buy the config of Core i5, FHD screen (non touch/non QHD+), 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD (and it would probably be priced at Rs. 80k) so it's good it isn't available for now :)

Indeed. I'm tempted to buy the config of Core i5, FHD screen (non touch/non QHD+), 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD (and it would probably be priced at Rs. 80k) so it's good it isn't available for now :)
That's confirmed? Macbook Pro at that pricepoint is better IMO. Only thing upgradable in this is the SSD. MBP will have better resolution screen and more.
(PS- been using Dell last 8 years, so not a fanboy)

Back