CES2020 - AMD Ryzen 4000 Mobile APUs: 7nm, 8-core on both 15W and 45W releasing soon

6pack

ex-Mod
Source - Anandtech

Some snippets copied from Anandtech below. Read the source for the complete news.

AMD is going to be launching two variants of Ryzen Mobile 4000, based around two power points. These will both be based on the same 8-core silicon, and be separated into 15 W hardware, traditionally called the U series, and 45 W hardware, traditionally called the H series. There is a special ASUS-only exclusive of the H series based in 35 W, and we’ll cover that as well. The main reason why AMD can offer the same silicon at two different power envelopes is due to transistor scalability, binning, disabling some of the graphics, and base frequency adjustments. It also means that in 15 W mode, there are different power delivery requirements from AMD’s partners. AMD stated that the Zen 2 design in this chips follows the same CCX layout as the desktop hardware, which means the 8 cores are split into two CCX units which communicate over the internal infinity fabric. AMD has also adjusted the L3 amount, to 4 MB per CCX, which is half that of the consumer desktop line.

With the graphics, there’s a bit more of a granular compute unit deficit as we go down the stack, and that’s an important way to differentiate the hardware similar to the CPU side. If you notice, the frequencies are super high – AMD said that this enhanced version of Vega, architected for 7nm, actually responded really well in terms of frequency and power, and so they were able to boost the clocks up a lot. So despite the drop from 11 CUs in the silicon design down to 8 CUs, the 1750 MHz frequency really piles on the performance. AMD is promoting +28% GPU performance in 3D Mark Time Spy against Intel’s Core i7-1065G7, as well as a single threaded performance lead over both Ice Lake and Comet Lake.

These CPUs all support LPDDR4X memory, up to 64 GB, and AMD says that the infinity fabric is not tied to this memory clock. This helps the chip reach even lower power in its idle states, and the company said that they have rearchitected a good portion of the power delivery in the APU in order to be able to power down and power gate more elements of the SoC than was previously possible. AMD said that this decoupling of the infinity fabric and memory support, especially with both CPU and GPU accessing it, was made substantially easier due to the APU being a monolithic solution (with that in mind, it’s likely that AMD might not be going down the chiplet APU route any time soon). Also worthy to note is that AMD is saying that they have reduced the latency for parts of the chip to enter/exit idle states by 80%, and it’s this that helps enable the power gating in such a way to remain responsive. In previous products, certain elements of the design had to remain powered in order to be as responsive as the user required.

With these chips, AMD says they will be priced similarly to Intel’s standard H-series processors. When asked about comparisons to the flagship 9980HK hardware, AMD said that the new Ryzen chips still beat those in most areas, single threaded, multithreaded, and on integrated graphics, but the 9980HK is priced above and beyond what AMD is doing, so AMD is aiming to undercut Intel on performance per dollar as well.

AMD-01.jpg

AMD15w.png

AMD-02.jpg

AMD45w.png

Detailed writeup here from Ian Cutress

AMD will go toe to toe with the Intel10th gen which will be in low supply due to 10nm fab issues.

Now the thing left to see once these APUs launch is idle power draw which is something Intel has been tuning for a long time and AMD put in a lacklustre performance with 3000 APUs.

Although nothing can be said for sure until independent reviews come out AMD presentation deck numbers before launch didn't deviate too much from real world reviews for the Zen+/2 CPUs.

I hope Intel gets its shit together by 2021 or else AMD might become the new Intel.

That information is everywhere, but you need to post the prices as well, and you really need to select them in your future configuration. Also I am waiting for desktop versions of that small beasts, I have heard it could be even December 2020, but I will wait no matter what for uograde!

That information is everywhere, but you need to post the prices as well, and you really need to select them in your future configuration. Also I am waiting for desktop versions of that small beasts, I have heard it could be even December 2020, but I will wait no matter what for uograde!
The desktop versions are already out since October last year. The desktop parts on the same architecture of Zen 2 have 3000 nomeclature e.g. Ryzen 9 3950X and the upcoming laptop parts have 4000 nomenclature. The numbering is a bit confusing I admit. :p

The Zen 3 parts i.e. Ryzen 4000 for desktop will be out around August 2020 going by AMD's release cadence.

I think he means the Desktop APUs like Ryzen 4200G.
Ahhh. Now it makes sense.

I guess the APUs based on Zen 2 will be outed right after Ryzen 4000 series desktop CPU release going by previous APU launches.

A 35W Athlon 200GE replacement with Zen 2 architecture would be awesome for a DIY NAS/Plex transcodng server.

Back