CES2020: Intel teases DGI discrete Xe GPU with laptop and desktop Dev cards

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: Anandtech

5_575px.jpg

LeftOn_575px.jpg

Intel first showed off DG1 as part of its hour-long keynote on Monday, when the company all too briefly showed a live demo of it running a game. More surprising still, the behind-the-stage demo unit wasn’t even a desktop PC (as is almost always the case), but rather it was a notebook, with Intel making this choice to underscore both the low power consumption of DG1, as well as demonstrating just how far along the GPU is since the first silicon came back to the labs in October.

To be sure, the company still has a long way to go between here and when DG1 will actually be ready to ship in retail products; along with the inevitable hardware bugs, Intel has a pretty intensive driver and software stack bring-up to undertake. So DG1’s presence at CES is very much a teaser of things to come rather than a formal hardware announcement, for all the pros and the cons that entails.

Dubbed the “DG1 Software Development Vehicle”, the desktop DG1 card is being produced by Intel in small quantities so that they can sample their first Xe discrete GPU to software vendors well ahead of any retail launch. ISVs regularly get cards in advance so that they can begin development and testing against a new GPU architecture.
Post automatically merged:

Last year Intel bought out a Bangalore based graphics company led by former AMD guy. I'm guessing this is what they were planning on.

I am rereading this text several times and still couldn't get ahold what is damn so new on this topic, so probably they could use it to some verticals on any possible levels out there, especially if the news about Bangalore guy is true, Intel should relese better APU's and not this.

This is just a Dev vehicle and don't expect consumer GPUs any time soon. These are for game/AI devs to wrap their head around.

Anyways Intel's main priority with the Xe line is AI/ML in server market which nVidia has been able to corner quite effectively so far and that's where the money's at.

But keeping in mind Raja Koduri's track record with Vega at AMD I am not too confident about Xe and I guess it might be DOA like Larrabee.

Back