Cheap way to earn more: TataSky - Sony,Indiatoday Fiasco

As usual got a call for renewal today. Took the hapless guys case on the recent goof up. But the poor chap couldn't do much and said my feedback would be recorded but that he couldn't comment on the pricing.

I asked him simply why should I pay you in advance only for you to not deliver on what you charge me for in the first place! You did it now, you'll do it again later

Another unhappy Tata Sky customer here. First some problem with multiple TV connections and now these shenanigans.

Is there another DTH service which anyone can recommend without all these dramas?

Looks like Sony was the one demanding more than double share of revenue and telling lies.

See https://dreamdth.com/threads/tdsat-...-restore-dropped-channels-on-tata-sky.115046/
I do not think this is the correct conclusion. Tata sky's subscribers have grown by 60% in the last 5 years or so. That in itself justifies Sony asking for a hike. What about inflation? What about the cost of new channels? Has your base pack price not increases all these years? What was Tata sky's justification? Addition of new channels. All blatant lies. Now we know that DTH operators make a block deal and not a-la-carte channel deals. This means all the while Tata sky was increasing the base price under the garb of increased channels when they actually did not pass on the share of increased revenue to the broadcasters. True Sony lost IPL but then they have lots of overseas cricket matches featuring India, tennis grand slams and other football tournaments.

I do not think this is the correct conclusion. Tata sky's subscribers have grown by 60% in the last 5 years or so. That in itself justifies Sony asking for a hike. What about inflation? What about the cost of new channels? Has your base pack price not increases all these years? What was Tata sky's justification? Addition of new channels. All blatant lies. Now we know that DTH operators make a block deal and not a-la-carte channel deals. This means all the while Tata sky was increasing the base price under the garb of increased channels when they actually did not pass on the share of increased revenue to the broadcasters. True Sony lost IPL but then they have lots of overseas cricket matches featuring India, tennis grand slams and other football tournaments.

True, but I don't think we can put the entire onus on Tata now, as how it was being portrayed. I would like to know Sony's side - a 100% increase is not justifiable, by any extent.

Secondly, most contracts have a clause for increasing costs YoY. If Sony has not done these properly, then they are at fault, not Tata.

Coming to the HD Access Fee and others additional extra costs, this needs to be transparent.

Actually.. what are the alternatives available? And do they have all channels? Especially HD content?

In Bombay:
1. Hathway - unreliable
2. Dish TV
3. Videocon DTH

Anything else? Can we do a quick comparison of similar packages to Tatasky in terms of pricing and HD content?

Tatasky multi TV connection charges are atrocious

1. Eligible Subscriber shall mean any (i) Subscriber who has an Active Account Status and (ii) who has been receiving any of the Channels mentioned in (1) above as on September 30, 2018 at 23:59:59 within the subscribed base pack and/or add-on pack(s).
  2. For clarity, a request can be made by the Eligible Subscriber, for continuing to receive any/all of the 12 Channels specified above, which was being received prior to October 01, 2018 (except for India Today channel which will available from October 03, 2018) by the said subscriber.
  3. Existing subscribers who have subscribed to any/all of these 12 Channels by specifically opting for them through a-la-carte mode and separately paying the a-la-carte retail price for these channels will not be considered part of the Eligible Subscriber as per this scheme.
  4. This Offer shall continue until the same is withdrawn/modified by Tata Sky in its sole discretion.

https://www.tatasky.com/wps/portal/...er/tata+sky+free+activation+of+channels+offer

what happened to Reliance DTH? did it close down? Was it run by the younger brother who has no business sense at all?

Reliance was actually never in the league as tata, dish, airtel, videocon, sun were already dominating the market.

Reliance came in with not so much bang nor any out of the box stuff as customers already were caught up and happy with their existing and yearly subscriptions.

Reliance wasnt popular as others.
On terraces i have seen only tata, dish, airtel, videocon and just occasional reliance.

TDSAT, the regulatory body, has given both parties a time of 4 weeks to come to an amicable deal. The time period can be extended as well. The article I read, also stated clearly that Sony wants to hike their rates to 1700cr from 800cr that they were paid for the previous deal.
Nothing can happen in India where regulatory authorities are so lenient and pro-dealer rather than pro-consumer.

TDSAT, the regulatory body, has given both parties a time of 4 weeks to come to an amicable deal. The time period can be extended as well. The article I read, also stated clearly that Sony wants to hike their rates to 1700cr from 800cr that they were paid for the previous deal.
Nothing can happen in India where regulatory authorities are so lenient and pro-dealer rather than pro-consumer.

I really fail to understand why so many are sympathetic to Tata Sky? If your subscriber base has gone up by 60% in 3 years and the number of channels have gone up by 128% shouldn't TS be paying more? Hasn't TS increased the base pack prices in the last 3 years? If it was 800 Cr, pure mathematics tell us that the fair price now should be 800 * 1.6 * 2.28 = 2,918 cr. As everything in life doesn't work on pure mathematics asking for 1700 cr is not unfair when the total subscriber and number of channels have gone up by 265%.

Why should TS play the victim card? Does anyone have figures for base pack prices from 3 years ago. It would be interesting to check how much TS has been looting us all the while. If we go into per channel costing 3 years ago it was ₹ 4.76 / channel / Month / customer. At 16 million subscribers it has come down to ₹ 2.08 / channel / month / customer. TS wants to pay at ₹ 2.08 while Sony is asking for ₹ 4.42 / channel / month / customer.

Note: I know that not all customers base pack would have Sony channels but then the assumption is that whatever percentage of the 10 million were getting Sony, the same percentage would get Sony even when the customer base has increased to 16 million.

I dare both TS and Sony to give all channels on a-la-carte basis. In fact all channels should be on a-la-carte basis with no bundling discounts.

Back