Cheap way to earn more: TataSky - Sony,Indiatoday Fiasco

I really fail to understand why so many are sympathetic to Tata Sky? If your subscriber base has gone up by 60% in 3 years and the number of channels have gone up by 128% shouldn't TS be paying more? Hasn't TS increased the base pack prices in the last 3 years? If it was 800 Cr, pure mathematics tell us that the fair price now should be 800 * 1.6 * 2.28 = 2,918 cr. As everything in life doesn't work on pure mathematics asking for 1700 cr is not unfair when the total subscriber and number of channels have gone up by 265%.

Why should TS play the victim card? Does anyone have figures for base pack prices from 3 years ago. It would be interesting to check how much TS has been looting us all the while. If we go into per channel costing 3 years ago it was ₹ 4.76 / channel / Month / customer. At 16 million subscribers it has come down to ₹ 2.08 / channel / month / customer. TS wants to pay at ₹ 2.08 while Sony is asking for ₹ 4.42 / channel / month / customer.

Note: I know that not all customers base pack would have Sony channels but then the assumption is that whatever percentage of the 10 million were getting Sony, the same percentage would get Sony even when the customer base has increased to 16 million.

I dare both TS and Sony to give all channels on a-la-carte basis. In fact all channels should be on a-la-carte basis with no bundling discounts.

Because Sony claimed they had not hiked the prices and that it was TataSky that was responsible. Now when its out in the open that SPN is asking for more - irrespective of the bundles and what not, its but obvious that SPN was lying.

I would put it down to poor negotiations on both sides, and poor contracts from SPN.

As for TS and their looting, I think someone needs to check their balance sheets and see how much of a profit they are making...

Because Sony claimed they had not hiked the prices and that it was TataSky that was responsible. Now when its out in the open that SPN is asking for more - irrespective of the bundles and what not, its but obvious that SPN was lying.

I would put it down to poor negotiations on both sides, and poor contracts from SPN.

As for TS and their looting, I think someone needs to check their balance sheets and see how much of a profit they are making...

It seems like Sony has not increased the per customer cost. Surprisingly people are only looking at 800 vs 1700 figures. That is not how these deals work. People understand absolute numbers and hence the marketing blitz and lies of TS is sold to gullible people. Sony on the other hand has failed to put all the facts in front of the people. Sony should say they have not increased the per customer cost.

I wasn't taking anybody's side. In fact, as a customer of an annual pack, I hold Tata Sky responsible irrespective of whether Sony increases prices or not.
I was just lamenting on the fact that the decision by the regulatory authority is too lenient. Giving them one month to 'talk it out' with option for more time 'if needed' is not the way a regulatory authority which is supposed to be pro-consumer would function.

These kind of bulk deals are usually worked out based on the subscriber count of the distributor and sometimes even takes into account the future growth potential. So, Sony has every right to charge the amount for renewal based on current subscriber count of TataSky . This doesn't necessarily mean that cost per subscriber has increased.

The average DTH subscriber growth rate has been around 15% per year over last few years as per a report that I have seen in business today. Subscriber mind share of Tatasky does not seem to have changed much over the last few years and remains at 24%. So we can assume that TataSky subscriber count likely grew at the same rate of 15% per year over last 5 years. That would mean that compared to 5 years ago, the subscriber count would be 1.5 power 5 = 2.01 times.

So, assuming Sony is charging the same avg cost per subscriber, they would need to charge double the amount they charged 5 years ago.

The explicit phone call based activation step that Tata Sky setup is likely to collect some preliminary statistics to on how many subscribers explicitly activated the channels so that they can use that data to low ball the amount during the negotiations with Sony instead of paying based on total subscriber count.

Last edited:
seems like it was far better when we have our local cablewala .. was way economical as well.

I'm happy that our family ditched watching tv altogether :) we we are least bothered with these development . there is nothing on TV worth wasting time.. those news channel are cancer in the society.

see the development here - https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...stake-in-hathway-den/articleshow/66230806.cms

This entire country is going to be ruled by one company, be it what you eat to what you see.

Last edited:
Yeah I too miss my local cable wala. This digitization rule of govt messed all viewers experience decade ago.
Used to pay 300bucks and watch all channels no pain only gain without any interruptions whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conditional access system was deployed by previous govt suppose to bring down price, but happened exactly opposite....
Also cablewalla definitely took a hit in small cities... and now everything is controlled by big corporates.

Post that, advertisement increased and quality of content decreased. We unplugged TS when we observed we throwing 9+k per annum just to watch advertisements and masala news. Better put that money to some good use, like buy clothes for orphanage or old homes.

Day by day the 30min shows are actually getting down to 12 mins while the other 18 mins are wasted into commercials. Its a clear bullshit. Esp sony and star are worst!
So on avg daily we only get to watch 576 mins of entertainment per channel and 864 into commercials.
Even news channels arent spared.

Only worthy are sports channels and devotional ones

Even radio fm is so fuked up here in pune you only get to hear some max 5-6 songs in 1hr and rest its all real estate bullshit nonsense as if all homes are only available on earth in this very place with literally no takers.

Yes true. I guess there were some rule formed during mms regime that maximum minutes of ads can’t exceed 12min per hour.. but this never implemented.

Sports we only watch football/ FIFA in our family. Was disgusted by the pathetic HD quality by ten sports this time. By next fifa we might have better and quality source of 4K streaming other than tv telecast .

Fm radio is plagued in Bangalore/Calcutta as well... for example mirchi max 5-6 songs per hour.
I tend to listen to podcast (also started to get infested with ads) or just play music via usb or stream from Apple Music.

what happened to Reliance DTH? did it close down? Was it run by the younger brother who has no business sense at all?
Reliance BIG TV was renamed as Independent TV in April, 2018. It is growing fast across Asia and it provides DTH Service, it has some supplemental plans that are attracting customers towards them, and people are also liking it, very soon it will strike the other DTH service providers, No other company giving so much generous plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day by day the 30min shows are actually getting down to 12 mins while the other 18 mins are wasted into commercials. Its a clear bullshit. Esp sony and star are worst!
So on avg daily we only get to watch 576 mins of entertainment per channel and 864 into commercials.
Even news channels arent spared.

Only worthy are sports channels and devotional ones

Even radio fm is so fuked up here in pune you only get to hear some max 5-6 songs in 1hr and rest its all real estate bullshit nonsense as if all homes are only available on earth in this very place with literally no takers.

same in Bombay. Radio One has become utter shit. 30% RJ nonsense (with surrogate advertising thrown in) +40% Advts and the rest are songs... Utterly utterly annoying

Reliance BIG TV was renamed as Independent TV in April, 2018. It is growing fast across Asia and it provides DTH Service, it has some supplemental plans that are attracting customers towards them, and people are also liking it, very soon it will strike the other DTH service providers, No other company giving so much generous plans.
Independent TV is a fishy company. The Web is full of complaints.

People pay online and don't get installation even after months and months.

What I like to know is why is this user's id is IndependentTV, why this is their first and only post here and why they sound as if they are giving a neutral testimonial for the service as an independent party which they are not related to. :rolleyes:

All Sony Channels Are Back On TataSky

Dtv1RJxU8AApmSt.jpg

Out of topic,
Will the implementation of RIO by TRAI by 29th December 2018, change the DTH service providers current commitment to the already subscribed packs?

Finally after all cries, fights, blames and fixes all Sony channels are back... BAU.
All Sony channels back on their app and site as well its a big relief.

Back