Budget 0-20k Cheaper alternative to a laptop?

naru80

Disciple
Folks,

I know this is a laptop thread, but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

My usage:
1 Browsing for torrents,
2 downloading torrents,
3 storing the downloads.

The first and second I can managed with my MI3. The storage is the problem.

I need a device that can support 1Tb and above HDDs. Do I HAVE to go for a laptop or is there a tablet under 10k which can be attached to an external HDD (such as this http://www.snapdeal.com/product/lenovo-tab-2-a710-tablet/1724797399#bcrumbSearch:SDL319920697)?

Please advice

Why not a used desktop PC (atom/sempron will do) that you throw away in some corner of your house? Do all the browsing from your phone but run the torrent client on the PC. You should be able to find torrent clients with a web interface that you can control from your phone/tablet.

For a while I has a freeNAS machine which I used for downloading files. It has a neat web interface for torrents. Just upload the torrent file and it will do the rest.

dont use a mobile phone for torrent downloading, the frequent read writes during torrent downloading is going to degrade the internal storage of the MI3 faster and since the MI3 does not have expandable storage your phone may go bad in a short amount of time

Folks,

I know this is a laptop thread, but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

My usage:
1 Browsing for torrents,
2 downloading torrents,
3 storing the downloads.

The first and second I can managed with my MI3. The storage is the problem.

I need a device that can support 1Tb and above HDDs. Do I HAVE to go for a laptop or is there a tablet under 10k which can be attached to an external HDD (such as this http://www.snapdeal.com/product/lenovo-tab-2-a710-tablet/1724797399#bcrumbSearch:SDL319920697)?

Please advice
If you want a best torrenting solution, buy a bananapi/bananpro, a sata cable for banana pi, a laptop hard disk and an old cover of SMPS. Put all this in SMPS and it can act as a 24*7 torrenting server as well as ftp/samba server. Let me know if you require more info.

dont use a mobile phone for torrent downloading, the frequent read writes during torrent downloading is going to degrade the internal storage of the MI3 faster and since the MI3 does not have expandable storage your phone may go bad in a short amount of time

Is this so? I never knew...

yep thts why its better to use hard drives or ssds for torrent downloading, even pen drives go bad with constant torrent downloading but since they are cheap you can buy a new one easily

Even SSDs deteriorate with too much writing and not economical per GB cost when compared to hard disks. SSDs only for OS and hard disks for all your storage.

Best torrenting solution is not even a router capable of dd-wrt/transmission as the router will have low memory and low processor. Best solution would be a SoC with a sata port. Banana pi's, Cubie board and likes. Even old laptops will do a good job, but unless you have one on your hands its not economical to buy one.

Get the banana pro, it has inbuilt wifi and a sata port so you can connect a 2.5/3.5 HDD directly, plus it has lots of OS images and support on forums

Banana pro is wifi version of banana pi and should be the first choice. Only one seller in India sells it on ebay. And it doesn't support 3.5 HDD directly as it cannot provide enough power. I use banana pi connected to a 2.5 inch with bananian, OMV/transmission and works like charm.

Back