Storage Solutions Cheapest and basic NAS setup suggestion...

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Guys lockdown and wfh has set in heavy boredom on me and finally I'm looking to do something interesting yet which will require a very small time to setup for my basic need.

My need is: Very basic but cheapest NAS setup.

I have many Sata hdds lying around. So can use one of those if not multiple.

Purpose: Just share data to and fro form my Android phone to the attached HDD. Data will be 90% images either captured on phone or downloaded images from hdd to my phone + some phone related app data etc. No fancy no gaming, movies or audio streaming biz.

Home setup: Dlink basic router having 4 lan ports.
Budget: The cheapest the best.

Noob queries:
Do I need something like this:
Or a router with USB capability?
If any RJ45 HDD case is there that too can work here.

Kindly suggest...

Last edited:
Same boat as you're, However I'm trying with SSD/2.5 inch mechanical hdd with Raspberry Pi 3 (OpenMediaVault). I have these stuff already handy - got the PiBox USB to SATA cable - which I would like to try and if it all goes well - it will be cheapest solution for me and can even plugged into Router USB. Use case of this solution is to store documents or small files. No streaming of media

I think that Tobo is nothing but a router with usb in a case.

I have the netgear R7800 running 24/7 as a nas attached a 8TB external drive and use it record from my ip camera, acesss videos downloaded from torrent, which the router itself does.
It does freeze occasionaly with multiple Ip cameras connected may be its due to summer heat or due to 4k video record from ip cameras. But earlier when I used it without ip cameras for a month or so it had no issues.

A good router with 5Ghz wifi and a USB port.
A fast hdd or ssd attached to it and configured for sharing.

Why not this?
Also, with this, you could use it for downloading too. Actually this use to be downloading setup for many around 2013.

A good router with 5Ghz wifi and a USB port.
A fast hdd or ssd attached to it and configured for sharing.

Why not this?
Also, with this, you could use it for downloading too. Actually this use to be downloading setup for many around 2013.
Can you suggest few cheaper routers in 5ghz and usb options? I dont want to invent into anythign heavy or fancy as usage will be bare minimum for any devices connected so nor streaming nor gaming on wifi.

I''m using this :
(Damn the pricing went way to cheap, still try and see if you can find it cheaper somewhere else).

Awesome router, My Pc has constant 300mbps connection and same on my S10 with 5ghz wifi connection.
1590502701653.png

Made a normal 2.4ghz connection for others in home.
Has a USB 3.0 port (charges my helmet bluetooth nicely, lol)
The wifi is strong and has good range too.

You can use this normally too once this "I will have dedicated sharing server of my own" thing will go away from you, haha

I remember having all these crazy ideas that I actually ended up buying a NAS back in 2012. Imagine a college kid with NAS and wd green in it. lol. Because I did not even knew back then what does the green and blue mean in WD.

Google for connecting/configuring harddrive to router before you buy one, watch some videos. Might motivate or demotivate you for your own good.
I'm take a lot of pics in daily life (not a photographer) and edit a lot. (I like photoshop and LR).

Google drive + Pc Softwares + LR mobile version + Snapseed is doing me good.
With a fast internet connection and google drive life gets easier. I mean, upload a movie of 2gb on drive in like a minute or two. Download it on phone before you hit your couch or bed. Done!

Few years back, I tried attaching 2.5" WD External HDD to router (IIRC TP Link W8961 - it's another story that it was bad router with 1 fake antenna out of 2). Experience was nowhere near seamless. I am not sure what is performance or how is experience with current crop of routers costing 2K. But point to consider is router would need decent oomph to handle it smoothly. You would also need to consider cost of casing/docking you would require for 3.5" HDD to connect to router.

Has a USB 3.0 port (charges my helmet bluetooth nicely, lol)
Are you sure on this ? TP Link mentions USB 2.0 port !

Sorry, my bad!
I even saw the white color. Maybe typo or maybe coz working from straight 30+ hours.
Yes 2.0 but it works well.

I've used the "TP Link W8961" too. haha. It wasn't cheap that time + MTNL mumbai was the kind of combination no one wants.
Why invest in casing at the beginning level?
Op needs a cheap version of NAS and he can get it through any External drive.
Once he gets the idea of this setup and then he can finalize if this setup is just a timepass for him or does he really wants to invest and make it better/smoother.

@vyral_143 I already got this casing & since 2 yrs working flawlessly https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B011RFMOAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@Sird If I buy your mentioned Tp Link will simply plugging-in the hdd case to routers usb port work? (I know ip etc needs to be configured in the router that can be taken care) but I need seamless connection.
I dont mind if after a gap of few hours the hdd goes to sleep (may be the casing analogy) I might need to restart it altogether or somehow bring her back to wake up state.

@vyral_143 I already got this casing & since 2 yrs working flawlessly https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B011RFMOAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@Sird If I buy your mentioned Tp Link will simply plugging-in the hdd case to routers usb port work? (I know ip etc needs to be configured in the router that can be taken care) but I need seamless connection.
I dont mind if after a gap of few hours the hdd goes to sleep (may be the casing analogy) I might need to restart it altogether or somehow bring her back to wake up state.
As you've already the HDD is separate from router, yes it should be as a continuous sharing device as long as the router is running, which should be. lol

Why not look for some friend with a similar router and first try that before buying?

Neither - get a cheap mobo and do the needful. Run OMV. You will spend too much money on convertors and what not. Plus too much wiring.

Back