Audio Cheapest possible USB DAC?

stalker

Skilled
So my laptop's line out port has gone all wonky. The internal speakers don't get cut out even when there's something plugged into the line out.

I'm looking for the cheapest possible USB DAC I can pair with this and get better than onboard audio. These will be used with a pair of JVC RX900s.

E7 is like $75-90.
That's really pushing my 50. I already have a Music Streamer at home, so don't really want to get anything fancyish just yet. Will start looking at options on HeadFi.

Thoughts on the Fiio D5? It doesn't have an amplifier section but I don't think that should be a problem with my headphones.

Found anything yet?

I'm kind of in the same boat, with an even lower budget. :p

Actually I can spend more, but I don't wanna do that right now since I have other plans later.

I was actually gonna suggest the Fiio D3 in my earlier post, but you need a USB input since you're connecting it to a laptop.

Fiio D5 could be a good option. But there aren't many reviews as such.

EDIT: A couple of reviews for D5 wasn't so positive. Do have a look at Hifiman HM-101. Another cheap DAC in <$50 range.

yeah.. Not too many reviews for the D5.
Have been trying to keep an eye out for used deals on Head-fi.

The HM-101 @ $39 sounds more and more interesting, especially given how small it is.

Back