Cheapest steam iron to buy?

pauldmps

Skilled
I am looking for the cheapest steam iron that is reliable. Most reviews for the low-end Philips & Bajaj models on Flipkart & Amazon have bad reviews about water leaking.
What do you guys suggest?

Have Phillips steam iron, it has two knobs one for steam control and other for spray nozzle. Working great for past 8 years. You need to use soft water in steam iron else you will end up with leaking and blocked nozzles. Ideally distilled water would be perfect but it's not practical, don't ever use hard water or corrosive water, it will corrode the steam iron innards in a year. I have been using drinking water and works great!

Have Phillips steam iron, it has two knobs one for steam control and other for spray nozzle. Working great for past 8 years. You need to use soft water in steam iron else you will end up with leaking and blocked nozzles. Ideally distilled water would be perfect but it's not practical, don't ever use hard water or corrosive water, it will corrode the steam iron innards in a year. I have been using drinking water and works great!
Which model?
I already saw that but most reviews complain about water leakage. Also the soleplate is aluminium without teflon coating.

have got a GC1015 bought on 2011.
Its thermostat got kanput and when I tried to repair/replace thermostat at official philips service centre they are asking 700+ rupees.
They are saying that the thermostat is fused with the body of it using a single connection, you cant replace the thermostat alone.
I would suggest to go with a Dry iron because of this

Unfortunately, that is not true. Most manufacturers recommend avoiding distilled water because the lack of impurities can cause leakage and other malfunctions. In fact, it is explicitly mentioned that we use tap water for ironing purpose. My Bajaj iron came with such instructions. Yes, pores will get clogged when using with hard water, but it can be easily removed through various methods.
ALso, one of the commonest causes for iron to leak water is because the iron is not hot enough or ready to use. Ideally, it should be allowed to stand vertically until the temperature is reached (as indicated by the small indicator light on most irons). Once it is ready, only then should it be made horizontal. Otherwise, if the iron is brought to a horizontal position before the soleplate has heated enough, steam will not form, and instead only the water drips down through the vents.

@pauldmps Buy any decent iron from Philips or Bajaj. It will work well mostly. I had been using a cheap Koryo steam iron without any problems for over 5 years, before FK offered to take it for Rs.1000 in exchange for a Bajaj. The Bajaj also works flawlessly till date.[DOUBLEPOST=1430145212][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, if the place you live in has extremely hard water, you can mix the tap water with distilled water and use.

Don't go for cheap irons as almost all of them are troublesome.

You won't have any problems at all with the top end models. There's no issue of water leakage, whether you've plugged-in the iron or not. There's no issue of clogged vents, as all of them provide an easy cleaning mechanism, built-in. Cord will outlast the iron itself. Can survive many accidental falls. High end models have extra wattage, which saves a lot of time. You can even steam your clothes vertically - very useful to fix wrinkles without taking the clothes off the hanger (Blazers etc). Quality of sole plate will be superior; it's butter smooth and large. Uniform heat spread... blah blah blah.

Brand doesn't matter. Just go for a top end model. It'll cost you more than Rs 3000 but you won't have to find a replacement for many years. Best way to find such an iron is to visit local shops and look for imported non-Chinese versions. Models from Singapore are one of the best.

Phillips comfortline 1000, has Teflon coated heating plate, was 900 rupees back then.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430172462908.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430172462908.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 201
Don't go for cheap irons as almost all of them are troublesome.

You won't have any problems at all with the top end models. There's no issue of water leakage, whether you've plugged-in the iron or not. There's no issue of clogged vents, as all of them provide an easy cleaning mechanism, built-in. Cord will outlast the iron itself. Can survive many accidental falls. High end models have extra wattage, which saves a lot of time. You can even steam your clothes vertically - very useful to fix wrinkles without taking the clothes off the hanger (Blazers etc). Quality of sole plate will be superior; it's butter smooth and large. Uniform heat spread... blah blah blah.

Brand doesn't matter. Just go for a top end model. It'll cost you more than Rs 3000 but you won't have to find a replacement for many years. Best way to find such an iron is to visit local shops and look for imported non-Chinese versions. Models from Singapore are one of the best.
I agree with you but I don't have that kind of budget.
Phillips comfortline 1000, has Teflon coated heating plate, was 900 rupees back then.
It costs 1.6k now.
I think I'll get a 1-1.2k Philips model.

I would suggest extend budget for this as much as possible. One ruined shirt or trouser will cost you + then you will end up replacing the iron with a better more expensive model anyways.

Gents,

reigniting a old thread... I am looking for suggestions to buy a steam iron. Currently i have a bajaj majesty and i get more water droplets than steam. So looking to replace it. Saw many options from philips on amazon and generally my experience with them is excellent so far when it comes to home applainces.

Pls suggest..

Back