Car & Bike Chevy Beat vs Honda Brio

Checksum

Skilled
So I'm in the market for a hatchback. Have narrowed my choices down to the Beat and the Brio. Considering that I'm 6 ft tall, I find it slightly uncomfortable to get in and out of both cars. That factor apart, how would you rate the two cars with respect to:

1) Mileage in the city
2) Service and maintenance expenses/reliability
3) Any other niceties

Also, I'm looking to book the car in a couple of days. Any idea how car I can push the dealers into giving me a good deal? Since this is my first car, I want to be absolutely sure I'm making the right choice.

I drive a beat and my mom drives a Brio, so I have experience driving both. I am 6"1' and its not that uncomfortable driving either of them.

1) Mileage - More or less the same. +1-1.5 kmpl for the Brio.
2) With Chevrolet, I had that 3 years service package thingie. No servicing charges for 3 years. Brio hasn't been serviced till now(3 months old).
3) The Brio is more powerful and fun to drive. Didn't like the brakes though, feel a bit spongy. Plus, the suspension is hard which makes it good to drive but slightly uncomfortable for rear passengers.
4) You should be able to squeeze in more discounts with the Beat as the Brio is doing better numbers IINM.

for discounts, its best to take quotes from two separate dealers and then try to get the higher one to lower his quote as much as possible. And try to get those discounts that the company has running, corporate discount, loyalty bonus etc. etc.

We got the Brio S-MT for 4,65,000 on road and this being december and companies wanting to clear their stocks, you should be able to manage higher discounts.

Thanks for the info! I had another look at the Brio and I'm going for it. However the on road price is 5.48L for the S-MT festive variant. The dealer is offering 18k insurance and another 5k cash discount. How did you get it for 4.65L :O

He resides in delhi where taxes are a bit lesser than other states.Since you are looking for a petrol hatch,i think the brio is the best in terms of performance and comfort which i have experienced.
i am a bit more curious about your requirements as you are giving preference to mileage,have you considered a diesel?

Yes, I did consider the Beat diesel, but since it isn't as spacious as the Brio, I didn't go for it. And I wasn't interested in the i10 or the Figo.

I have a brio that my wife drives. Really nice and peppy car with loads of space and very decent handling for a honda which normally are quite poor in this department. Plus its a breeze to potter around in the city and parking it is so easy. It should serve you well. The only gripe for many is the boot space which doesn't bother me as it is my secondary car.

As for kitna deti hai - it can vary between 11-20 depending on how you drive and whether you are in the city or on a highway. The lowest that the brio managed was 7.8 and the highest was over 20kmpl. Mind you I have a foot of lead and the aircon is on all the time. With normal driving, it'll give around 12-13 in the city and around 16-17 on the highway.

@Chaos, thanks for the info! I've heard from a friend that he too gets around 14kmpl inside the city. The only aspect for which I feel like I'll be paying a premium, is maintenance. The dealer told me that I can pay 10k upfront for servicing the first 2 years and another 10k for extending the warranty to 4 years. That looks to be substantially more than the other brands. I'm hoping the Honda reliability will ensure that nothing goes horribly wrong, as I hear that spare parts are around 20% more expensive than other manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator:
RSA + Extended Warranty both combined cost 10,000rs.

RSA is Road side assistance.

Never heard about this 10K upfront for servicing. But I recommend not to pay this advance amount for servicing because you are stuck with the same dealer even if their service is not up to mark and you cannot go to other dealership since you already paid the amount here.

First 6 months service bill will be around 1000 because of oil change. 3 services are free in the first 6 months.
Next 18 months 3 times you need to service and it should cost 3-4K per service.

Don't bother with either - service is cheap - under 2k every six months. Also almost nothing fails in a honda so the extended warranty doesn't make much sense.

Just throwing in a suggestion, no love for the Ford Figo or Ritz?
The internal spacing in the Honda is amazing, though the Ritz outperforms it on the road. If u dont like the way the ritz looks, then thats a different issue altogether.
Just find the brio and the beat a tad feminine ....

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have finally made up my mind and will be booking the new Brio S(MT) (with electrically adjustable side view mirror and mud flaps) this evening. I am not going for the 2 year service package, but I *may* take up the extended warranty.

Just throwing in a suggestion, no love for the Ford Figo or Ritz?
The internal spacing in the Honda is amazing, though the Ritz outperforms it on the road. If u dont like the way the ritz looks, then thats a different issue altogether.
Just find the brio and the beat a tad feminine ....

Ritz outperforms the Brio in what way? The Brio is faster than the swift let alone the ritz. In a recent autocar test, with NK at the wheel, the brio was a full 1.5secs quicker than the swift around MMST.

It is faster in straight line acceleration (0-100), in gear acceleration and also has better handling since it is not a tall boy. Only place where the swift won was top speed which was around 10km/hr more because honda has a rev limiter at 5300rpm in 4th and 5th. Remove that and the brio will do 180 on the speedo just like the Jazz.

Ritz outperforms the Brio in what way? The Brio is faster than the swift let alone the ritz. In a recent autocar test, with NK at the wheel, the brio was a full 1.5secs quicker than the swift around MMST.

It is faster in straight line acceleration (0-100), in gear acceleration and also has better handling since it is not a tall boy. Only place where the swift won was top speed which was around 10km/hr more because honda has a rev limiter at 5300rpm in 4th and 5th. Remove that and the brio will do 180 on the speedo just like the Jazz.

I have hardly seen men, let alone 6'fters drive the brio on Mumbai roads. What one drives kinda reflects on one's personality///
The brio's looks just dont appeal to me..

That's how you qualify your statement that "Ritz outperforms it on the road"?

by outperform, you meant more sales?

Have driven both the cars.. the brio is spacious and has good performance, so does the Ritz and other cars in the same segment. I am again going back to the very first line of the post. The op did mention that he is uncomfortable with both the choices in terms of space. I do own a small car myself and i cant state enough how uncomfortable it gets at times for me, me being a 6 fter myself. Only reason its still around cause i live in south bombay and parking is an absolute nightmare at times. Thats when the car really comes handy.
I am probably not being able to explain myself properly or just aint doing it consciously knowing that the op has made up his mind for the brio, and considering it is his first car and not a spare car for him, i really would not want him to purchase a Brio.
#Checksum , why not the BEAT?

I went for the Brio cause I really liked it, and my wife will be using it as well. And I am way more comfortable driving it than the Beat, which has a very awkward console placement and my left leg always leans against it when driving. Besides, I like the peace of mind that the Honda brand comes with.

I have hardly seen men, let alone 6'fters drive the brio on Mumbai roads. What one drives kinda reflects on one's personality///
I hardly think about what someone else's perception of a car is. Yes, I do collect as much technical info as I can from knowledgeable people, but the car's look is completely a personal choice, and I love the Brio's look.

I am probably not being able to explain myself properly or just aint doing it consciously knowing that the op has made up his mind for the brio, and considering it is his first car and not a spare car for him, i really would not want him to purchase a Brio.
It is the first car I'm buying with my money, but I've been driving around sedans in the family for a couple of years now. I really hadn't made up my mind and was considering the Beat as well, but the Brio is just far more comfortable for me. It is impossible for me to sit at the back seat in a Beat, but I can actually sit comfortably in the Brio.

You simply sidetracked the initial question of performance. Whether you like how the brio looks or not has no relevance to discussion. Looks are completely subjective - what works for you doesn't work for me.

Personally I think all maruti cars barring the kizashi look rubbish but thats beyond the point. Discussions are supposed to be based on objectivity and not your personal opinion.

You simply sidetracked the initial question of performance. Whether you like how the brio looks or not has no relevance to discussion. Looks are completely subjective - what works for you doesn't work for me.

Personally I think all maruti cars barring the kizashi look rubbish but thats beyond the point. Discussions are supposed to be based on objectivity and not your personal opinion.

Yep, my performance comment was based on personal bias. See in d family we own a lot of cars. A good friends own's a Ritz and another a Brio. Similarly have driven the Figo and my sis own's a Swift. My opinion was based on actual usage of these cars.
But the op mentioned above that this aint his first car and so has he driven other cars before and is making an informed decision, I guess that settles that.

Been a week since I took delivery of the car. Its a real pleasure to drive, especially inside the city. The default sound system is average at best, and will need an upgrade after a couple of months. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Back