Chinese Alternates

I guess its time to say NO to made in China. Lets explore good quality alternatives everybody ?
I know couple of good companies Intex...Frontech..not used much of their products except basic keyboard mouse..power supply for cpu...boy i remember the old days haha..

Frankly I do not care where a product is made as long as I get value for my money. If there are equally good VFM from other sources then I am sure all Indians would buy based on their conscience (anti China, anti Pak, anti child labour, anti dictatorship etc).

It is a good idea to have a sticky thread by category of items (Electronics, Clothing, machinery etc). Give us the VFM rating by product with justification. Then it will become easier to make the decisions.

This should help people who want to decide based on origin.

In addition to discouraging chinese imports, govt have to come forward with plans for encouraging Indian manufacturers and researchers.

eg., for PC accessories, govt can encourage TVS for diversifying their product range as they have a track record of quality manufacturing (I believe all TVS keyboards are manufactured in India). And Govt offices should purchase PC consumables from Indian Manufacturers only.

Similarity, young engineering graduates can be helped to design various Daughter-boards and mother-boards for PCs.
They should even try SBCs and govt should include these Indian SBCs in school curriculums.

Govt should help manufacturers' collaborations & Tech-transfer deals with Taiwanese/North Korean/Japanese companies.

Last edited:
Got this as a forward from someone individually since it is the hot topic of the month..
The Chinese dragon [post from Rajeev Kare (IIT Kanpur alumni) - karwa sach ]
>
> A couple of WhatsApp group that I am a member of should be renamed China problem group. 90% of discussions is on how China hijacked the world economy and how they do not deserve to do so and how all politicians have let us down and how they are stealing all intellectual property and how we are doomed if we do not stop downloading tiktok.
>
> All true. And no, this article is not about disagreeing with this narrative. This article is not about the fact that an average Chinese student in US beats the shit of all other students (including Indians) in terms of hours she works and the only disadvantage she has is that her English is not good enough, but she is getting there. No this article is not about the fact that the people of China worked their butts out while Italians holidayed and French wanted a 4 day week. No this article is not about the fact that you cannot hire a decent machinist or a forger in India because all of them are sitting in call centers answering questions from technically challenged Americans. Of course, I agree and support the view that China and it’s people do not deserve the place they have reached (I don’t want to be trolled) . They are thieves, they do not take 4-week holidays. They should be punished.
>
> So what is this article about? This is about an industry where China has been beaten by India. It has been shown that it’s not the government, neither the people, it’s really the companies that compete. And as far as India is concerned the people responsible for the demise of manufacturing are these companies.
>
> Year 1983, I pass out of Engineering college in Mumbai considered to be one of the best. Irrespective of the branch that you have studied—Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Production, Textile, 80% become coders for the software industry. Year 2000, I am at Bajaj Auto as HR head (after working for 15 years as a technical person), and am off to conduct campus interviews, to hire 100 Engineers who will build the 100-cc engine of a motorcycle. I am day 5 in VJTI and all other RECs. I end up hiring 10 people from 15 colleges. In every college I am told by the Training and Placement officer (TPO) that technology companies get preference. I say I don’t understand, is building an Engine not technology? No that’s manufacturing. Writing Cobal code for a bank in New York by a TCS employee is technology. May be the Chinese forced us to do this.
>
> Next year I write to all colleges. I want to be day 0 in your campus. I will give three times salary of the best “so called technology company”, but only if I am day 0. Hiring 100 Engineers at three times salary was no problem for me as compared to TCS, which had to hire 2000 “Bodies”. They could never match that salary.
>
> And that’s how Bajaj Auto built its R&D. Batch by Batch. Making designing and manufacturing of motorcycles sexy and paying for it. The selection ratio was 1:15. Most of the IITS, RECS, and VJTIS had toppers who were absolutely useless. They could not draw a Carnot cycle, could not tell the difference between a diesel and petrol engine. Give them an elevation and plan they could not draw the side view. Most of them were focusing on writing code. But we found gems, we found guys who were passionate and knowledgeable but could not express in English. I started conducting interviews in Hindi, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil and so on.
>
> There was another company doing the same TVS. South based they also built a great R&D.
>
> Year 2005, Chinese motorcycles attacked India with products which were 30% cheaper. Many dealers started selling them. Press predicted demise of Indian manufacturers. Within 6 months they went broke. Their quality was no match to Indian motorcycles. They never came back again.
>
> Bajaj then stared attacking them in Africa. Africans had two choices; buy expensive Japanese motorcycles or cheap Chinese. Chinese motorcycles used to come in a box. You buy the box and take it to a mechanic and he will assemble it. In Nigeria motorcycles are used as taxis. So no one is going to pay you a dime more. In such a market Bajaj launched it’s fully assembled motorcycle. Priced more than Chinese less than Japanese. And worked hard. Today Bajaj is a market leader. TVS is number two. Chinese have been driven out. You can see videos of the love that the Okada (taxi drivers) have for Bajaj Bikes. Country by Country in Africa, in South America Indians captured the market driving the Chinese out.
>
> In 2018 India became the largest manufacturer of two wheelers in the world (twice the size of China). Indian companies have started buying out European Brands. The market leader of motorcycles in Europe is not BMW, its KTM owned by Bajaj. China is slipping fast not only in the manufacturing of Bikes also in the manufacturing of components. Indian suppliers are beating them hands down. Between three Indian Companies Hero, Bajaj and TVS India today dominates the world market. Honda a Japanese company has shifted most of it’s R&D to India.
>
> Why was this not done in TVs, in Computers, in Mobile phones, in Pharmaceuticals and other industries? The same country, the same labor laws, the same infrastructure but not the same entrepreneurs. Indian businessmen are characterized by a myopic vison—it’s both short term as well as geographically limited. Of course, the government also does not help. So, who is responsible for the Chinese dominance—the government, the people or the Corporates?
>
> I think its all the three. When even ITI trained turners and fitters refuse to work in a shop floor, when a Stock Broker is paid more than an Engineer, when typing code is mistaken for technology, when governments refuse to amend antique labor and land laws when corporates think local and not global and finally when you, yes you, will not send your son to work on the shop floor, each one of this factor is as responsible for the Chinese dominance as much as their “Ethical Corruption” We have been looted because we left our doors and windows open.

No this article is not supporting the Chinese. How dare they work so hard? And how dare they obey a communist government? We should stop buying all their goods and we will make every thing in our country. But we will work nine to five with a three-day weekend. We will overcome. One Day!!

^^ That's an amazing post. Thank you.
The same is applicable to medical field also to a certain extent.
Hundreds of medical graduates from Chinese medical colleges ( private with absolutely rubbish teaching/ training) are being allowed to practice in India. These students didn't go through the pre-med screening tests, wasted 5 years in Chinese private medical colleges, never saw real patients. Come back to India, study theory for 3 months to pass a ridiculously easy screening test, get a registration number to practice in India.
Just like cheap Chinese mobile phones, Indian government allows them to spread everywhere.
However China itself doesn't allow them to practice there!!
China has excellent medical colleges and research centres, but foreign students are not allowed there.
There are plenty of private rubbish medical colleges in India, where undergrad and post grad seats go empty.
If India needs doctors ( and quality doesn't matter), why not utilize those to produce them. At least the huge tution fees will remain inside the country.

Last edited:
You cannot just boycott Chinese manufactured items without taking concrete steps to scale up manufacturing in India. Government with clear vision on how to make India a choice for manufacturing needs to be there.
This same thing people are trying to explain it to the Modi (Andh) Bhakt's but they are not understanding. Without proper infra backing the products to suit our countrymen, it will be difficult to boycott these products unless their alternatives are developed.

True. We really need to ramp up production of Indian goods to replace the chinese products. But I really fail to understand simple things.
Was in market once to buy Plastic Baskets. I could not belive the Indian company selling the item for a higer cost while the Chinese alternate looked much more attractive and at a lower price ! How is it possible ? Is it really costing so much to the manufacture ? or is it simply to earn more profit ?

True. We really need to ramp up production of Indian goods to replace the chinese products. But I really fail to understand simple things.
Was in market once to buy Plastic Baskets. I could not belive the Indian company selling the item for a higer cost while the Chinese alternate looked much more attractive and at a lower price ! How is it possible ? Is it really costing so much to the manufacture ? or is it simply to earn more profit ?
Its both, the chinese have mass production at scales you cannot imagine. You can get a clone honda engine GX160 engine used in various generators, go karts, agricultural products for just $25 in china, the same clone after shipping and local profits/duties/tax in india sells for a 10k, but a true Honda engine costs around 20k, they are virtually identical to the clone parts, sure the honda is more refined with some better plastic components but you can get to know how much profit is there to be made.

Last edited:
Going to take a long time for the world to realize we are completely becoming dependent on most of our digital and home needs to the chinese products. This has to stop before they overtake the world.
Is there nothing we can do to encourage our local manufactures ? I think even they use spares imported from china. How is this going to stop ? Should we start with manufacturing parts ??
I still cannot believe we are such a big country and not manufacturing quality products.
I prefer to buy made in Vieatman and turkey and germany but atleast these options are available in the gulf at almost similar prices compared to chinese clones. I hardly see these makes in our major electronic stores and malls. Its mostly Chinese.

I prefer to buy made in Vieatman and turkey and germany but atleast these options are available in the gulf at almost similar prices compared to chinese clones. I hardly see these makes in our major electronic stores and malls. Its mostly Chinese.
Note on Turkey.

Second hand F16s from Turkey was probably the one shot down by india or engaged in combat on feb 27. Turkey supplies arms and spares to pak military. Turkey has dictator Erdogan who is on a expansion drive, they have caused nothing both deaths to the Kurds, occupied syria and funds ISIS, Al Nusra. They were caught red handed buying oil from ISIS controlled oil fields. All terrorists to syria make there way via turkish border, the leader of ISIS was very close to the Turkish border.
They have made nothing but anti india comments. Turkey will soon be kicked out of NATO.

Bigger and more technologically advanced manufacturing plants and consequently huge inventory is one of the reasons. Tiles from Foshan based vendors are higher quality than the local manufacturers including bigger name brands. Because of them having too much inventory they are willing to even provide it to local dealers without taking advance coz they don't have space in their warehouse to store them coz production is so high and it is costly to actually shut down production of there isn't enough demand. Western countries implemented anti-dumping tax to prevent the same thing happening there but that didn't happen in India. If you can get tiles that are flatter and more scratch resistant and in far more variety at less than half the price do you think it is reasonable to go for the local brand (not their fault, the Chinese just happen to have superior facilities and cheap source for raw materials).

This kind of thing has been going on for ages and should definitely be something our govt monitors and protect local industries, not talk just about it now because of the current border incident.

Last edited:
So what needs to be done to defeat chinese goods ? I think we as people need to start supporting and encouraging local production. I am sure we can start with few local products as a beginning.

I don't see this issue being addressed anytime soon. Heck, even the traders association are divided on this.
I think the plan should be to allow continuing Chinese products and use the buffer time to build up our industry. Knee jerk reaction won't help us.
It's not that the government is unaware of what steps are to be taken. What was lacking was the will to promote domestic firms. Atleast till now.

For instance, in the telecom sector, the Chinese vendors were already aware of the bid pricing so they could easily undercut their competitors and quote the lowest bid. Someone from the government must be giving them the information. It's all money game.

Continuing further, India does not have a written policy which mentions preference to Indian gear manufacturers viz a vis others. This was also quoted by Airtel and Vodafone. So the government forced it's dikkat on BsNl which would make them further incompetitive. Yes, you may say there are other vendors which could take place of Huawei or ZTE, for instance, Tejas Networks. But you won't get the chance to do corrupt practices.

Other options could be to setup industries under government control and making them independent under Miniratna and Navratna scheme.

It all boils down to the intent.
Post automatically merged:

And btw, corruption does not necessarily pertains to minting money alone.

Last edited:
So what needs to be done to defeat chinese goods ? I think we as people need to start supporting and encouraging local production. I am sure we can start with few local products as a beginning.

In the spirit of supporting made in India products I recently bought a 15L storage water heater (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07HRW4CHD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1). They claim that it is 100% made in India. Though I am not much into anti China sentiment I do not mind giving preference to local manufacturers as long they give me good VFM.

Geysers have been around for many decades and there's nothing hi-tech about them. So, I thought what can go wrong with a Made in India product. I installed it in the night and had 1 bucket of hot water. Next morning the Geyser has gone kaput. Seriously, the quality is so bad that this thing did not even last 12 hours. I then called their service center only to be informed that they do not have a service center in Hyderabad and that I should send them an email for further directions. I have now placed a replacement request with Amazon.

If an Indian company cannot make a decent quality Geyser what can we expect from them? All these made in India companies are so small that they do not have proper sales, marketing and servicing network making me wonder if I should stick to the Havells, Bajaj, Racold, AO Smith etc who only sell Chinese made products but at least provide good after sales service.

In the spirit of supporting made in India products I recently bought a 15L storage water heater (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07HRW4CHD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1).

If an Indian company cannot make a decent quality Geyser what can we expect from them? All these made in India companies are so small that they do not have proper sales, marketing and servicing network making me wonder if I should stick to the Havells, Bajaj, Racold, AO Smith etc who only sell Chinese made products but at least provide good after sales service.
If you buy a no name brand, be it chinese or indian there can be quality issue.
Racold, Ao smith, Venus, Havells makes their geysers in India including the tank inside and the heating element. Not sure about bajaj. On average my racold geysers lasted 20years before they started to leak, fake racold heating elements last about a year or so, while original one last about 5 years.

Last edited:
Customs officials at major Indian ports are holding back imports coming from China, which include US goods manufactured in China by companies like Apple, Dell, Cisco, and Ford Motor Company.

Don't buy from AliExpress, Alibaba etc if you want your parcels to be stuck at customs for months.

Back