PC Peripherals Choices choices..

Vignesh

Adept
Am planning to move from my 17" CRT. I was thinking of getting a 19" CRT or a 17" LCD. I guess I'll have to pay a few thousand more for the LCD though. Considering I do not game at more than 1280x1024 which one would you suggest? If it is the LCD, which one should I go for? Viewsonic?

Thanks,
Vignesh.

if u are planning to stay at 1280x1024 then i will not suggest 19" coz it will look too big ...... better get a 17" LCD :)

Hmm looks like votes are in favour of a LCD.. Anybody recommend a good review site for monitors/display panels? Searched around but mostly getting cnet reviews..

delhiboy1000 said:
Viewsonic VX724 -3ms reponse time !!

Viewsonic VX724 sucks as 3ms G to G and less contrast ratio.

Viewsonic VP930b 19 inch 8 ms HDTV Ready LCD Monitor = Rs. 29,000
Samsung SyncMaster 940B 19 inch 8 ms LCD Monitor = Rs. 25,000
Viewsonic VA1912w 19 inch 8 ms Widescreen LCD Monitor = Rs. 22,000
Viewsonic VP730b 17 inch 8 ms HDTV Ready LCD Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster 770P 17 inch 6 ms LCD Monitor = Rs. 15,000
Viewsonic VA712 17 inch 8 ms LCD Monitor = Rs. 14,000

they are the best LCD's in India.

Comparing LCD's and CRT's Monitor.

Physical Size:

The largest advantage for LCDs is size. Whereas CRT's are bulky and heavy, LCDs are compact and lightweight and take up a third of the desktop space when compared to a CRT monitor.

Display Size:

LCD monitors are larger in display size comparatively to CRT monitors for the same display size as claimed by the manufacturer. So a 17" LCD has a diagonal measure of 17" while a 17" CRT will have a diagonal measure of 16". Hence a 17" CRT can be compared at the nearest to a 15" LCD..

Colors:

The strong point of CRTs is their excellent colour reproduction. Newer LCDs now have comparable performance to CRTs but are pretty expensive and it is finally always second best to CRT.

Resolution:

Another minus point for LCDs is the resolution part. Whereas CRTs are capable of displaying multiple video resolutions with the same quality, LCDs have a native resolution at which it displays best. The image quality on the LCD is the crispiest/sharpest at this native resolution. So hence for gamers, if they have a 19" LCD, they should be having a graphics card powerful enough to play games at the native resolution of the LCD..

Brightness:

Since LCDs are backlit, brightness is a big issue with LCDs. CRTs dont suffer from this problem and hence is again a big plus for it.

Viewing Angle:

CRTs have a much wider viewing angle then LCDs. The problem here is LCD's when viewed from other angles, the image quality on the screen looks pretty washed out. A big minus for those planning to watch movies with a couple of friends..

Power Consumption and Radiation Emission:

LCDs use much less energy when compared to CRTs. Also CRTs emit harmful radiation which is not the case for LCDS..

Lifetime

LCDs have a much smaller lifetime compared to CRTs and are prone to the dead pixels problem.

To sum it up for CRTs

Pros:

* Inexpensive
* Multisync Capable
* High Refresh Rates
* Color Clarity and Depth

Cons:

* Large Footprint on Desktop
* Very Heavy
* Use Large Amounts of Energy
* Generate Excess Heat

To sum it up for LCDs

Pros:

* Takes up Little Space on Desktop
* Light Weight
* Energy Efficient
* Causing Less Eye Fatigue

Cons:

* Expensive
* Blurry Images Outside Native Resolution
* Motion Blur on Fast Moving Images
* Washed Out Colors

Conclusion

In my opinion, gamers and movie buffs should stick with large CRTs preferably good 17" or 19" and those programmers and internet browsing ppl (basically who sit a lot of time in front of the PC for long with text based programs) should look at a LCD as a sound investment..:)

Hope this solves your dilemna, Vignesh.;)

Hello ppl, dis be AMUL CHOCOLATE! havin' my first post! like this place!!!
@udit-130286,
u sure man, samsung 770p is 15k ONLY???
couple of months ago the predessor of 740n, 713n was at 14.5k
and this one LCD has far superior features!
(check samsung site and www.channeltimes.com, samsung says the lcd is meant for pros only!)
that is why i seriously doubt an 8bit, 6ms, 280cd, 1500:1 lcd with a DVI and such a stylish look to be just 15k!
in case me rong 'n u rite, give me the name of dealer (mumbai based preferable!)

@Udit
seems, you are quite sure of your claims.

what's the price for samsung 740n then?
please help me with this, i'm gonna buy me one 17" lcd in 10 days!

(in indore, samsung says they dont have the model for sale yet, and hence cant say anything of the price! only 713n is still there at 13.8K! i checked it on 20/02/2006 morning.)

since i temporarily live in allahabad, but permanent resident of indore and also my bro works in mumbai, i can buy from any of these cities.

also, if i dont get the 770p (even at 17K) what lcd should i go for then?
(samsung and lg have best proven services in allahabad and indore!)

Last edited by a moderator:
amul_mitm said:
@Udit
seems, you are quite sure of your claims.

what's the price for samsung 740n then?
please help me with this, i'm gonna buy me one 17" lcd in 10 days!

(in indore, samsung says they dont have the model for sale yet, and hence cant say anything of the price! only 713n is still there at 13.8K! i checked it on 20/02/2006 morning.)

since i temporarily live in allahabad, but permanent resident of indore and also my bro works in mumbai, i can buy from any of these cities.

also, if i dont get the 770p (even at 17K) what lcd should i go for then?
(samsung and lg have best proven services in allahabad and indore!)

I'am not sure that is why i told "you could confirm with Samsung India and post here".

Last edited by a moderator:
seems i got some price updates!

enquired on date (see above on post) and got that->
samsung 740n is available for 14300 in Indore and
for 13.5k to 14k in Mumbai (enquired through ma bro!)

that price has a Laser Printer free with it!
(you have to register to the site for your free printer and send a DD of 1000/-
for handling...etc...) also the printer doesnt has a Toner
(so that has to be bought separately!) also the lcd is not available without that scheme
(some internal adjustments may be possible though!)

so those be interested, please act fast! samsung seems to have reduced the period for that offer (feb 28, as ma bro told me!) or it might be old local dealer sh*t (they enjoy the perks after their declared period!)
whatever, wanna get it? get it!

NOW, for some request, could anyone please find the price for samsung 770p?
i am damn serious for that thing and didnt find it anywhere (let alone the price!!!) if it be cheaper than 18k i will get 770p or else go for 740n.
Guys please help me only 8 days from now and i have to make a DECISION!
Also let me know if i have other options! (quote price please!)

Back