Storage Solutions Christmas upgrade - HDD/Optical drive recos

P.Ping Tom

Disciple
Hey all,

My old 250gb hdd has gone into the crapper, and I need significantly more storage anyway, so here's what I was thinking of getting. Please advise as to which ones you guys would recommend in terms of performance and reliability. Will not be doing too much gaming on my rig, but will be running a bunch of basic programs on it simultaneously (email/web, stock trading, p2p, msoffice, winamp/vlc, etc.). Also have a large amount of multimedia I need to store/play. All model #'s of drives mentioned have been taken from Newegg.

Primary drive - 320gb Seagate 7200.11 (ST3320613AS) OR 320gb WD Caviar16 320AAKS-00B3AO. Possible alternative, if you guys think is better, is the 250gb Seagate ST3250410AS/310AS

Secondary/storage drive - WD 640 AAKS (supposed to be the best, been hearing a few concerns regarding quality of late) OR Seagate 640gb ST3640323AS

External Drive - The following are 2.5" 320gb external drives which I'm choosing for portability and because I don't want a drive which requires a seperate power cord. Pls recommend -
1.) Seagate FreeAgent GO (ST90320FGAE1-RK)
2.) WD My Passport Essential (WDME3200TN)
3.) LaCie Rugged all-terrain 320gb (301833)

As far as my optical drives go, I was thinking of going for the Lite-On DL DVD burner - would appreciate it if you guys could tell me if there's a specific model # that I need to go for.

*phew* Lotsa questions - thanks in advance to all who can help. Check out my speaker recommendation thread - http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/cyber-acoustics-a3780-vs-klipsch-promedia-124523.html - and sound off your opinions if you'd like.

Gracias all. :)

Primary drive - Get a Seagate 320gb. I guess a Seagate 250gb could also do.

Secondary drive - Get the WD 640gb. Its a great drive. I haven't heard any quality issues about it. If you want more storage space you could consider the 750gb and 1 tb ones. :)

Im not sure if you'll find the AAKS drive, youll mostly find a AACS drive. AACS or 'Green Power' is slightly slower than AAKS but runs cooler and is more silent. Its better than AAKS IMO since the performance difference is not much.

Optical drive - Samsung SH-S223F FTW.

2.5" drive - I dont think the Lacie drives are available here. I would suggest getting a WD mypassport since it would be a little cheaper than seagate.

mine came with nero express 7 essential and a few other nero components like vision,recode,backitup,showtime and incd, all essential (i guess thats just a stripped down version of complete software).

Back