Claiming insurance from 2 companies

My dad already has a Start Health red Carpet insurance covering him upto 5 lakhs. The company I joined recently also covers him under Bharti AXA family insurance(collective of 2 lakhs for everyone). If the situation arises(god forbid), can i claim the expenses from both insurance companies if it shoots beyond the limit?

Yes you can claim from both companies. The usual procedure is to apply the entire claim with all the documents with one company who will then verify and give you a settlement letter which had the total claimed account and total amount disbursed. You then have to use this settlement letter to claim from the 2nd company.
You have to inform the 2nd company at the time of applying with the 1st company as you will have to submit all original documents there. The settlement letter and xerox will be enough with while applying with the 2nd company.

the second insurance company will settle only the things that were not settled bu the first company?Or they just look at the remaining amount/unsettled amount and give their quote?

First company is X and second company is Y
X verifies the entire claim and bills and then pays upto your allowed limit. Y needs settlement letter from X as you have submitted original docs there. Based on the settlement letter Y will pay only the remaining amount. Y may ask for documents/xerox for their verification and you need to get this clarified before submitting the claim to X.
Another problem might be last date of submission of claim at Y, as you have to wait for X to provide you the settlement letter. In this case you can pre-inform Y about the delay. Keep every communication in mail or print, do not believe assurances given on call.

I have not claimed from two companies but this entire process was explained to me by our HR mediclaim SPOC.

You wont get full claim from second only the uncovered part and if you claim from one, they will take all docs so you need settlement letter from them which will substitute the documents for the second one. Insurance companies are assholes so best to plan you insurance very carefully.

Back