Source : http://www.thetechnotriad.com/713/how-to-update-oneplus-one-to-cm12s/

How To Update Oneplus One To CM12S
8 hours ago
by Himanshu Ladia
18 Comments
12_blog_body-810x456.jpg

11029701_996413540383780_225507312_o-150x150.jpg

Written by Himanshu Ladia
The OxygenOS rom for the oneplus one wasn’t the best upgrade to lollipop. Providing stock experience with limited number of tweaks didn’t pleased everyone who updgraded to OxygenOS. However, as promised, Cyanogen today released the Cyanogen 12S, providing the power of cyanogen and the sweetness of lollipop in a single update. Today, in this short little tutorial, i will show you 2 methods to update your oneplus one to cm12s.

Notes -
  • Your phone should be atleast 50-60% charged.
  • This update won’t wipe any data on your phone.
Downloads -
  • Download the OTA update for Method-1 from here (Google Drive) or here (Mega) and copy it onto your phone’s storage.
  • Download the OTA update for Method-2 from here and copy it onto your phone’s storage.
Method 1 – (For Stock Users)
This method is for those users who have not modified their oneplus one with a custom recovery or a custom rom.

1. First of all, you need to enable Developer Options. To do this, go into Settings -> About Phone -> and tap the build number 7-10 times. You would now have developer options enabled.
  2. Now, press back and you will see that a new section called developer options will be there in your settings section. Click on that and enable it by toggling the On/Off button on the top.
  3. Now, check mark Advanced Reboot option in developer options.
  4. Now, long press the power button, select reboot and check mark recovery and click Ok.
  5. The above step will boot your oneplus one to cyanogen recovery.
  6. Now, tap on Apply update -> Choose from internal storage -> 0/ -> and tap on the update zip file which you’ve copied onto your phone.
  7. This will automatically flash CM12S on your oneplus one.
  8. After the flashing process has completed, simply press on Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You are running CM12S on your oneplus one!

Method 2 – (For Custom Recovery and OxygenOS Users)
In this method, we will use a custom recovery like TWRP, CWM to flash the update.

1. First of all, you need to enable Developer Options. To do this, go into Settings -> About Phone -> and tap the build number 7-10 times. You would now have developer options enabled.
  2. Now, press back and you will see that a new section called developer options will be there in your settings section. Click on that and enable it by toggling the On/Off button on the top.
  3. Now, simply make sure that ‘Update CM Recovery’ option isn’t checked or it will replace the custom recovery with the stock CM recovery after the update.
  4. Now, boot into TWRP recovery and click on Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> and check mark only Cache and Dalvik Cache. Swipe to Wipe.
  5. After this, go home and click on Install and select the update zip which you’ve copied onto your phone’s storage. Swipe to confirm flash.
  6. Now, simple click on reboot system now. It may ask you whether you want to install SuperSU or not. You may proceed accordingly.
Yea! You’ve got CM12S on your oneplus one!

I have the 11.0-XNPH44S version which came built in with the phone I purchased. In the OnePlus One CM12 thread it states the below pre-requisite:

Make sure you have at least 50% battery and on CM11S 05Q(rooted or stock, both will work.

Is it mandatory to be on 05Q? I didn't bother with that update. I got the .zip file from their official link in this thread: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/cm12s-now-available.296365/

Can I directly flash over my current ROM version?

Why not just update to 05Q and then update to cm12 manually. In fact there seems to be a good chance you will get ota for cm12 as well.

Also now having updated I don't get why Lollipop is supposed to be such a big deal.

They are rolling out the OTA in batches so everyone should get it in a day or two. Looking at the wait so long I dont think anyone should mind a day or two extra.
But still if anyone is too impatient there is a way to update to CM12 manually without having to root the phone or doing anything complicated.
BTW Carl has confirmed that even Indian devices will be given the CM12 OTA.
Here is how you can install the update manually with very simple steps to follow.
http://webtrickz.com/guide-to-update-oneplus-one-to-cm12-lollipop-os/
Download the zip file from the above link. Its about ~570mb.
Copy the file to your phone (you can keep it in the root folder)
Enable developer option if not yet done.
Under developer options Enable Advanced Reboot.
Long press power button. Select reboot. Then select Recovery and then follow onscreen instructions.
Pretty straight forward. Phone should be juiced up as this takes about ~20 minutes.
Refer to Step 3 : Flashing the OTA using Stock Cyanogen recovery section in the above link on steps after rebooting to recovery.
nJoY!!!

Manually updated my phone yesterday and battery life seems to be better than the CM12 nightly builds, which i was running for past 1-1.5 months. Battery life is seems to be same as CM11s.

I dont get this, a friend of mine who bought the phone like a couple months after me has already got the Lollipop update, but I havent, not sure how they are pumping out the updates.

I haven't received OTA yet. Seems they have halted it for some new "feature". Looks like there are some bugs in the update that they need to fix.
Just checked that they have stopped OTA to add Ok Oneplus. :| Time to manually flash it today.
Like mentioned here it was to ship it with the always on listening OK Oneplus service. Thats the reason they have pulled out the OTAs.
I too updated it manually. But not very impressed with Lollipop to say the least.
Now feeling that Kitkat was really better(only if it did not start crashing a lot of apps)

With Lollipop I have been getting good battery after I disabled the Keep Awake option in Privacy Guard some few apps. Phone still gets heated if I keep the camera app running. On other phones the raw support would have been an good addition with Lollipop but OPO already had it with Kitkat itself.

Last edited:
I flashed manually... Now I feel why I did that..
I hate those animations and importantly Battery life is not good as 4.4 & Blacklist not working.
+1
The thought of going back to the previous version is also crossing my head but I have seen that I generally feel a little reluctant whenever I update the newer major version, but after few weeks its fine and I just get used to it :)
Same happened with my N8 when I installed Belle. Note 2 when I installed 4.2 and now with lollipop on OPO.
But CM has done a really good job to improve some features which were screwed badly by AOSP.

Back