CMS help

iosoft

PC enthusiast since MS DOS 5
Skilled
Hi,

I got a project but couldn't decide which technology to choose from....

I actually worked on many CMSs based on PHP-MySQL, like - Joomla, Drupal, vBulletin etc. This time I want to use a M$ technology. I never have done any project on .NET.

The Project -

Mainly its for a Department of a Company. The project itself is small and simple.

Basically it will be based on a CMS. But, different user-group needed -

Admin, Head of the Dept, Developers, Librarian and others/guest users.

A small CMS running over internet.

Admin and Head of the Dept will be admins, Developers will able to upload WORD/EXCEL files to the site.

Different devs can't access others documents..... except HoD and Admin.

HoD can download those DOCs and do some final alterations and print.

There will be a small Library Management system.... just listing of available resources.

Which technology should I use ? what about SharePoint Server ? what about Microsoft Content Management Server 2002 ?

Please suggest me....

I would strongly recommend using J2EE with oracle 10g as backend. J2EE is one of the finest for developing distributed apps. If you want to start then simply download netbeans with integrated tomcat.

hammerhead said:
I would strongly recommend using J2EE with oracle 10g as backend. J2EE is one of the finest for developing distributed apps. If you want to start then simply download netbeans with integrated tomcat.

It will be overkill for his requirements. Distributed apps? I didn't read it in his post. And any idea what 10g costs like? He isn't running google books man.

iosoft: Try dotnetnuke. It has a few good modules. I've seen one like you need, but not sure if its free.

AxCMS and CommunityServer are other good choices. Unlike php you will not find many free CMSs written in .NET

Sharepoint and MS CMS will be too big and bloated unless you have 100s of users and thousands of files to manage.

sharepoint is better for less users actually :p . At our co, we use sharepoint and drupal and some other CMS's . sharepoint is good , but it cant scale at all. once it goes above a certain number of concurrent users, it just crashes :p

greenhorn said:
sharepoint is better for less users actually :p . At our co, we use sharepoint and drupal and some other CMS's . sharepoint is good , but it cant scale at all. once it goes above a certain number of concurrent users, it just crashes :p

We use Sharepoint as knowledge base and file repository. So far we haven't had any problem with it slowing down. Used by over 400 people, at a time maybe 30-40 online. IMO its not worth the trouble of setting and configuring if being done for a small user base.

Arya said:
It will be overkill for his requirements. Distributed apps? I didn't read it in his post. And any idea what 10g costs like? He isn't running google books man.

Yes you are right. Sorry I misinterpreted the post. I am not much experienced by my guess is that JSP with MySQL should do the trick.

Please let me know what are the softwares needed for SharePoint Server (beside Windows 2003 :p)

Sharepoint has 2 distinct products.
1. Windows Sharepoint services - Free with Windows 2003
2. Sharepoint Server. - requires License

Sharepoint "Scales". have used this in number of projects now.
in cases where it is crashing with increase in number of user -> probably the hardware sizing was not done.

since you mentioned MS technology, DotNetNuke would be another option. i think even that should be free.

in my opinion Windows Sharepoint Services is your best BET. integrates with office documents in much better manner.

Better get MOSS 2007, and the MOSS designer 2007. Much easier to set-up and a lotta better documentation available. IMHO MOSS is pretty scalable too.

@Greenie: Are you referring to SP2K3? or MOSS? Cuz at my workplace we have like 3K users and growing for the portal and it doesn't seem to pose any problems.
PS: Yes i am a MS fanboy.

Second that Shotgun, dotnetnuke is definitely good, however the learning curve'll be a touch steeper than that of MOSS'. However the initial cost will be greatly reduced, and the maintainance cost'll shoot up as soon as iosoft leaves the place :lol:

sarang said:
Better get MOSS 2007, and the MOSS designer 2007. Much easier to set-up and a lotta better documentation available. IMHO MOSS is pretty scalable too.

@Greenie: Are you referring to SP2K3? or MOSS? Cuz at my workplace we have like 3K users and growing for the portal and it doesn't seem to pose any problems.
PS: Yes i am a MS fanboy.

:)
MOSS requires Licenses. M$ will take out money from all available pockets, unles you are a big enterprise customer, i dont think that should be considered.
WSS is best bet as only license required is that of Win2K3
But, yes, as sarang mentioned, .NetNuke could be a bit confusing.

greenhorn said:

Greenhorn,
the scaling thing you mentioned here could actually be because of the DB you have used to install sharepoint on.
if it is based on the "Windows Internal Database" <-- :mad: then it could happen, as its actually not meant to scale well. Even a SQL Express wud do a better job. and the best scenario is installing SQL server (Standard/Enterprise)

cheers

Back