CPU/Mobo COM port not working

Vignesh

Adept
My friend has a P3 based rig. The COM ports have stopped working all of a sudden now. I tried connecting my nokia data cable to the serial port and the phone manager is not recognizing it either ( the same cable is working on my pc ). I also checked the speeds of the ports, they are set to 9600bps. Any diagnosis or suggestions to try on the pc?

Thanks,
Vignesh.

Try some other devices, also check if the Com ports are directly on the mobo or are they connected by an extension cable.

Thanks Aces, I'll check up on that and post here. My friend has a Tata Indicom connection which connects through the serial port. That is not getting recognized/working either.

Well if the port is hardwired to the mobo, then you will need qualified help in repairing it. If its an extension cable just plug it out and plug back in.

hmm....Wht Aces said.
if tht doesnt work....try removing the dialer nd install it again......
or 1st remove the ports frm the device manager nd restart

Updates:
The COM port is hardwired to the mobo. I tried removing the ports in device manager and let Windows auto detect. No response yet. Guess it is time to take it to a qualified technician. Anybody know of a good technician who can help with this problem in Bangalore? The motherboard is a Mercury make.

Did you try to change the I/O range and IRQ for the ports in the Device Manager? There are several settings available in there and you can see whether one of them will work for you. Sometimes, I/O conflicts will disable the ports completely.

Back