Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

^ yes, even i think i got scammed of 205 rupees. I have the bill but I threw away the tags on the clothes. :(
Will buy clothes from Myntra next time. Local franchise shops scam people a lot in this. They charge full price as shown on MRP and still charge VAT extra.

can you please tell me the shop name ??

and damm in my locality, i am offering flat 50% off for clearing stock, and no extra VAT, still people want more discount.

IIPM Scam has returned. TOI is now carrying front page ads of IIPM 2.0 (yeah version 2 now) and they have stopped mentioned IIM. Earlier they mentioned "Dare to Think beyond IIM", now the IIM part is removed.

The govt.[DOUBLEPOST=1502962860][/DOUBLEPOST]The GST scam:

Previously MRP of a product usually had inclusive of all taxes mentioned next to it. Now they seem to be charging GST on top of this MRP value which includes the previous taxes. So it's old tax+gst.

As an example, i bought a deo couple days ago. MRP 199 incl. all taxes. GST on it is now a whopping 28%. Assuming the previous tax was 12%, i'm now paying a total of 40% tax??!!!

I think there are some unscrupulous retailers trying to make hay while the sun shines (or till they get new GST based mrp stickers)

Last edited by a moderator:

Previously MRP of a product usually had inclusive of all taxes mentioned next to it. Now they seem to be charging GST on top of this MRP value which includes the previous taxes. So it's old tax+gst.

As an example, i bought a deo couple days ago. MRP 199 incl. all taxes. GST on it is now a whopping 28%. Assuming the previous tax was 12%, i'm now paying a total of 40% tax??!!!

I think there are some unscrupulous retailers trying to make hay while the sun shines (or till they get new GST based mrp stickers)
Those retailers will he royally screwed in due time. Govt is actively monitoring scamsters who are increasing prices this way.

Yes, its a scam all right, but run by the retailers, who are trying to make hay while the sun shines. Not the way you think.

On the other hand, about the 28% GST, each level in the chain is supposed to pass on the benefits. The total cost of the operation, even at 28% should hardly increase or be a minor blip over the earlier 12%.

I am seeing prices going down for most stuff except for some rare cases.

Those retailers will he royally screwed in due time. Govt is actively monitoring scamsters who are increasing prices this way.

All they need to say is that they revised the base cost. If an Item base cost is Rs 100 and there was tax of 15% and final MRP is 115. Govt cannot force them to keep the base cost at Rs. 100 and just add GST on it.

They will just say that the base cost has been increased by 15% to 115 and then add GST on top of it. There is no rule to say that vendors cannot increase the base cost of their goods.

As for govt, they were actively monitoring black money too and promising to get it all back, but only from the people they don't like. Their own cabinet ministers can keep all the black money they want and file absurdly bogus IT returns as they please.

All they need to say is that they revised the base cost. If an Item base cost is Rs 100 and there was tax of 15% and final MRP is 115. Govt cannot force them to keep the base cost at Rs. 100 and just add GST on it.

They will just say that the base cost has been increased by 15% to 115 and then add GST on top of it. There is no rule to say that vendors cannot increase the base cost of their goods.

As for govt, they were actively monitoring black money too and promising to get it all back, but only from the people they don't like. Their own cabinet ministers can keep all the black money they want and file absurdly bogus IT returns as they please.
You need to rip some benifits when you are in ruling party(+ playing dirty games with opposition is bonus..)

Yes, its a scam all right, but run by the retailers, who are trying to make hay while the sun shines. Not the way you think.

On the other hand, about the 28% GST, each level in the chain is supposed to pass on the benefits. The total cost of the operation, even at 28% should hardly increase or be a minor blip over the earlier 12%.

I am seeing prices going down for most stuff except for some rare cases.

Yes, I realize it's not the govts. fault, and that these retailers are gaming the system, at least in the short term. But a proper implementation should have accounted for these. No surprise after the demon exercise.

But you're saying, with the input tax credits etc. instead of a 16% tax rate increase, the final cost to me, the consumer, would be much less?

This is what I feel too. Instead of passing on benefits to the customer, absorbing the addition GST, and keeping the mrp same, they will just increase the base cost citing inflation or whatever and we end up paying more. Time will tell...

i once got scammed by a hot chick i met on some dating app a few years ago. that bishh stole 6k from me which was a big amount for me. may karma pay back with cmpunt interest to her one day.

Latest scam appears to be IRCTC now charging for canceling a goddamn waitlisted ticket ! 65 rupees (plus the gateway txn charge) cut for canceling a 3AC ticket! Not to mention my ticket had gone to WL 2 but jumped up to WL 12 after chart preparation. Probably the agents who take money to get a confirmed ticket by bribing railway officials to use their quotas...

It seems the CountryClub scam is still going on. I went to a McDonalds in Hitech city Hyderabad, and there were guys roaming with cards to fill contact info, advertising big wins. The fine print - "I authorize Country Club to contact me even if my number is registered to DND. The winners will have to attend an hour of session from Country Club."

Obviously, I walked away without filling it.

Latest scam appears to be IRCTC now charging for canceling a goddamn waitlisted ticket ! 65 rupees (plus the gateway txn charge) cut for canceling a 3AC ticket! Not to mention my ticket had gone to WL 2 but jumped up to WL 12 after chart preparation. Probably the agents who take money to get a confirmed ticket by bribing railway officials to use their quotas...

You travel by train even after the hundreds of mishaps this year?

Back