Less than 10K "Compact" phone

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Looking for compact-sized phones, should be 5" or less. When I say "compact" I mean that the phone should be comfortable on the hands. Many phones even though they have 5" display the body is large/long, something which I dislike. If it helps I'm currently using a 4.5" display Moto E with a Galaxy J1 Ace as a backup phone.

As for the specs, I need:
Dual-SIM, dedicated memory card slot and good battery. +4G VoltE.
Came up with the following list:
Moto G Turbo, Moto G Play, Samsung Galaxy J2 (2016)/J2 Pro.

Budget is not really an issue but price should be reasonable. Since there is no good android compact phones I was contemplating on buying an iPhone 6S just because its compact and seems to be pretty good (can give up my other needs) even though I'm no iPhone fan but the pricing...lol. :D

I would've bought the 1+X if it had a dedicated memory card slot. The phone also seems to have been discontinued now. Meanwhile Sony phones are extremely overpriced. RIP Xperia Z3/Z5/X-Compacts. Was thinking of the Moto X Play but changed my mind after thinking about the huge ass 5.5" screen.

Moto G Turbo is like a legend now. G Play while having decent specs is priced a little higher than expected and is now in the hands of Lenovo, a phone manufacturer which I honestly don't trust. Anyone here using the the J2? Is the Pro worth the extra 1-1.5k over the J2 (2016)? How's the software of new Samsung phones? Bloatware and stuff.

Will there be any new (compact) phone launch in the coming days? I can buy the above listed phones immediately or I can wait. I can do both. Just don't wanna regret it if a new good phone is on the way.

Thanks.

There is a J2 for sale here buy it if that guy responds to your PM had offered him 6.5k 2 weeks back but then he was asking around 8.5k, Now i think he Asking 7k. Or Redmi 3S.

@sharang
Thanks man. Just checked. Does Samsung give warranty without purchase invoice? The service center here in my location is a pain in the ass.
The Redmi 3s has Hybrid slots so I didn't mention it.

My 2 cents w.r.t. Moto G.

Since you already own Moto E, upgrading to Moto G series will be a cake walk. Stock android and also 6.0 version. I understand what you mean by compact. I'm too in same boat. I like 5' mobiles.

I bought my parents two Moto E a year back. I personally own Moto G2 and using it since 2 years. It's a solid device. I wonder why other manufactures aren't going with stock android and build good hardware. You don't know how many times my kid has thrown this mobile while playing games/YouTube, but Corning Gorilla 3 is holding it up. Of course I've phone case, but still the phone as such is strong. So obviously Moto G4 series should be better than this.

My 2 cents w.r.t. Moto G.

Since you already own Moto E, upgrading to Moto G series will be a cake walk. Stock android and also 6.0 version. I understand what you mean by compact. I'm too in same boat. I like 5' mobiles.

I bought my parents two Moto E a year back. I personally own Moto G2 and using it since 2 years. It's a solid device. I wonder why other manufactures aren't going with stock android and build good hardware. You don't know how many times my kid has thrown this mobile while playing games/YouTube, but Corning Gorilla 3 is holding it up. Of course I've phone case, but still the phone as such is strong. So obviously Moto G4 series should be better than this.
5.5" that's the same as the Moto X Play which was on my list. :/
Lenovo screwed up the Moto brand. The new Moto phones are a testament. Just look at the Moto E3. E1 and E2 were very good entry level phones.

Looking for compact-sized phones, should be 5" or less. When I say "compact" I mean that the phone should be comfortable on the hands. Many phones even though they have 5" display the body is large/long, something which I dislike. If it helps I'm currently using a 4.5" display Moto E with a Galaxy J1 Ace as a backup phone.

As for the specs, I need:
Dual-SIM, dedicated memory card slot and good battery. +4G VoltE.
Came up with the following list:
Moto G Turbo, Moto G Play, Samsung Galaxy J2 (2016)/J2 Pro.

Budget is not really an issue but price should be reasonable. Since there is no good android compact phones I was contemplating on buying an iPhone 6S just because its compact and seems to be pretty good (can give up my other needs) even though I'm no iPhone fan but the pricing...lol. :D

I would've bought the 1+X if it had a dedicated memory card slot. The phone also seems to have been discontinued now. Meanwhile Sony phones are extremely overpriced. RIP Xperia Z3/Z5/X-Compacts. Was thinking of the Moto X Play but changed my mind after thinking about the huge ass 5.5" screen.

Moto G Turbo is like a legend now. G Play while having decent specs is priced a little higher than expected and is now in the hands of Lenovo, a phone manufacturer which I honestly don't trust. Anyone here using the the J2? Is the Pro worth the extra 1-1.5k over the J2 (2016)? How's the software of new Samsung phones? Bloatware and stuff.

Will there be any new (compact) phone launch in the coming days? I can buy the above listed phones immediately or I can wait. I can do both. Just don't wanna regret it if a new good phone is on the way.

Thanks.

lol i am looking for a compact phone too .... but manufacturers just like making phablets these days even a 5k phone comes with 5 inch screen and huge bezels .... i think i will have to stay with my old 3g phone for years, until foldable screen phones come :pensive::pensive:

Very true I want to a buy a replacement for my pantech but when i see those phones behind the mirrors they keep me wondering if I can carry one in the pocket ! where are we heading ? Reminds me of those small belt pouch which use to exist in the nokia 3300 times !!

Very true I want to a buy a replacement for my pantech but when i see those phones behind the mirrors they keep me wondering if I can carry one in the pocket ! where are we heading ? Reminds me of those small belt pouch which use to exist in the nokia 3300 times !!

even a belt pouch can't hold a 5.5 inch phone which are the most common ...... we need shirts with belly pouches like kangaroos to keep the phones :D:D

Gosh the world is growing like anything ....Compact means 5" phone. My nokia phone is mini compact phone then.
My Mother uses Moto E2 which should suit you. Its rock solid and heavy enough for better grip. Though you can add better covers too.
She uses in a rough manner and has seen bite marks from our dog too. I am not sure you can get them anymore. But moto e latest version should be in your list too.

lol i am looking for a compact phone too .... but manufacturers just like making phablets these days even a 5k phone comes with 5 inch screen and huge bezels .... i think i will have to stay with my old 3g phone for years, until foldable screen phones come :pensive::pensive:
Bull's eye with the thick bezel comment. Its a pain in the ass. We have an Honor Holly 2 as a result of that. Thought the 5" display would be fine but no! came with a huge ass bezel. Phone is long!
I'm not giving up my Moto E2 till there's a better compact android phone. :x

Samsung Galaxy A3

The new 2016 version of the Samsung Galaxy A3.

This device looks like a smaller Galaxy S7, and has a pretty great camera for the price. Specs include a 4.7-inch 720p AMOLED display, a decent 13 megapixel f/1.9 aperture camera, micro-SD slot, a powerful quad-core processor with 1.5GB of RAM, Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, and much more. Again it isn't the same experience as a Galaxy S7, but it's close and comes in a smaller more affordable package.

Source : http://www.gottabemobile.com
Credit goes to original Author Cory Gunther .

The Moto E is fine except for lacking an ips/large viewing angle screen.
The Moto E2 3G is a good basic phone alright but it could be better like the Redmi 2 Prime IMO: 720p display and improved camera. The only improvement it needed.

There is also a mini samsung s7 coming up some time soon.
Haven't heard of this. Hope "Mini" is not over 5" lol.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_mini-7979.php
It says "cancelled." Anyway I assume that specs aren't confirmed? Still has that Hybrid thing. Looks really pricey too. I mean S7 is a flagship ~.~

Last edited:
Back