Security Software Companion anti-malware prog+firewall to complement traditional AV

I have been a fan of Kaspersky for like 5 years now, have their products installed on 4 different devices currently and they have never failed me to date. But, even traditional AV' s cannot detect everything with their behavior-based technology, I was looking for 2 freeware programs to complement my KIS[Kaspersky internet security] on my windows 10 pc. After a lot of poking and snooping around the IOT's , I finally came upon a nice malware remover tool known as SuperAntiSpyware :- https://www.superantispyware.com/ and Zonealarm's free firewall solution :- https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall/ .I just wanted to know whether using these applications with my traditional AV would bog down my system resources considerably or not, as I currently have 8 gigs of ram, will it be a problem? . I hope I do not sound paranoid, but traditional AV's with their signature-based detection were long touted to be dead against 0 day exploits and what not, I guess practicing safe browsing and tightening your security with multiple applications and browser extensions such as ublock origin,disconnect,noscript,etc is the only way to go ;)

Having seen this and anticipating this on a daily basis, I would like to say only this

Firstly, if you are using your computer in high risk mode, ie ahem sites, high chance of getting infected, then none of the above will help you, except a cloud backup.

Secondly, I dont see the point of using Zone Alarm FW if KIS is there, I have used the Endpoint version and the firewall is superb.

malware removal I would suggest to add MalwareBytes as well.

Superantispyware and ZoneAlarm firewall are not that good products.

If you already have Kaspersky and it has a firewall too, as mentioned by others, you dont need to install anything extra. Just follow safe browsing practice, and other precautions.

If you are worried about malware while browsing, then I suggest that you learn to use Sandboxie, which is excellent.

https://www.sandboxie.com/

It has a free version, which is sufficient for individual use. It might seem a bit complicated to use. I have written a small introduction on how to use Sandboxie.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/introduction-and-quick-guide-sandboxie.htm

Apart from browsing, another threat is from pen drives. I have seen horrible malware infection from pen drives. So, for that, I will suggest installing MCShield. It is an antivirus which only handles malware from pen drives, and it is very small, has active protection, and is excellent. I have been using it alongside my Avast free antivirus, and it has caught malware in pen drives. It is even suggested to use in Avast forum.

http://www.mcshield.net/

You can install Malwarebytes Antimalware instead of Superantispyware, and use it to occasionally scan the system. Although Superantispyware is good too, but MBAM is much better.

MBAM no longer has a proper free product right? As in just the premium trial now.

I used to run Malwarebytes free + Comodo firewall + Avast on a 1 GB RAM system. It was heavy, but I was able to use that PC normally. With 8 GB RAM, such a combo may not affect hard on your resources.

I used to run Malwarebytes free + Comodo firewall + Avast on a 1 GB RAM system. It was heavy, but I was able to use that PC normally. With 8 GB RAM, such a combo may not affect hard on your resources.

That looks good, but I decided to only use the MBAM free version[without real time protection], adwcleaner[a standalone product by MBAM again] and superantispyware to occasionally scan my system after 7 days,with my paid KIS ofc

Superantispyware and ZoneAlarm firewall are not that good products.

If you already have Kaspersky and it has a firewall too, as mentioned by others, you dont need to install anything extra. Just follow safe browsing practice, and other precautions.

If you are worried about malware while browsing, then I suggest that you learn to use Sandboxie, which is excellent.

https://www.sandboxie.com/

It has a free version, which is sufficient for individual use. It might seem a bit complicated to use. I have written a small introduction on how to use Sandboxie.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/introduction-and-quick-guide-sandboxie.htm

Apart from browsing, another threat is from pen drives. I have seen horrible malware infection from pen drives. So, for that, I will suggest installing MCShield. It is an antivirus which only handles malware from pen drives, and it is very small, has active protection, and is excellent. I have been using it alongside my Avast free antivirus, and it has caught malware in pen drives. It is even suggested to use in Avast forum.

http://www.mcshield.net/

You can install Malwarebytes Antimalware instead of Superantispyware, and use it to occasionally scan the system. Although Superantispyware is good too, but MBAM is much better.

I really loved the concept of the sandboxie application and it actually seems to be pretty easy to use[but I read your article anyway,which was perfectly detailed without getting too complicated for the basic user]. I will check out mcshield too (y)

I really loved the concept of the sandboxie application and it actually seems to be pretty easy to use[but I read your article anyway,which was perfectly detailed without getting too complicated for the basic user]. I will check out mcshield too (y)

Thank you :). That's what I had hoped to achieve... that the article be simple enough to understand. Glad to read that it served the purpose.

Do try out McShield, it's quite a good companion software to an AV, as it just scans flash drives only. It can catch stuff which antivirus can miss.

Thank you :). That's what I had hoped to achieve... that the article be simple enough to understand. Glad to read that it served the purpose.

Do try out McShield, it's quite a good companion software to an AV, as it just scans flash drives only. It can catch stuff which antivirus can miss.

yep, I downloaded it and it looks quite good frankly speaking, although whenever I connect a external hard disk/flashdrive, KIS as usual prompts me to scan the connected external element,but the mcshield app scans it quietly in the background before I can even click 'yes' on the KIS prompt, should I turn off USB protection for KIS and only make mcshield scan external disks or keep them both turned on and scan the external hardware with mcshield first and then later with KIS ?

Keep them both turned on.

McShield takes only a few seconds to scan the disk, and it will display a small window that no malware was found, in case the disk is clean. If malware is found, it will deal with it too.... if you are an experienced user, you can turn on the interactive option in the settings, so you can personally see what it has caught and how to deal with it, which is what I have done.

After that, you can scan with KIS.

Initially, when McShield came out, I was doubtful about it, because I had come across other similar antivirus like Ninja USB AV, and they weren't good. But, I installed McShield on computers of friends and relatives in order for them to be more secure... and then I personally saw it catch malware sometime, which Avast missed. And I also saw it being praised in the Avast forum itself. Since then, I have installed it on my PC too... and it has detected malware from a few infected drives. It's small, fast and effective.

Keep them both turned on.

McShield takes only a few seconds to scan the disk, and it will display a small window that no malware was found, in case the disk is clean. If malware is found, it will deal with it too.... if you are an experienced user, you can turn on the interactive option in the settings, so you can personally see what it has caught and how to deal with it, which is what I have done.

After that, you can scan with KIS.

Initially, when McShield came out, I was doubtful about it, because I had come across other similar antivirus like Ninja USB AV, and they weren't good. But, I installed McShield on computers of friends and relatives in order for them to be more secure... and then I personally saw it catch malware sometime, which Avast missed. And I also saw it being praised in the Avast forum itself. Since then, I have installed it on my PC too... and it has detected malware from a few infected drives. It's small, fast and effective.

Thanks I feel safe already ☺

Back