Compatibility issue regarding motherboard and graphics card

Ramanath

Recruit
Would this GRAPHIC CARD ZOTAC GEFORCE® GTX 1050 OC EDITION 2GB DDR5 be compatible with INTEL DH61WW MOTHERBOARD ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every PCI-E 3.0 gpu like the 1050 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 slots like the one in your Intel DH61WW board.

I am running a RX 470 which is PCI-E 3.0 card on an Intel Z68 board which has a PCI-E 2.0 slot.

Last edited:
Every PCI-E 3.0 gpu like the 1050 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 slots like the one in your Intel DH61WW board.

I am running a RX 470 which is PCI-E 3.0 card on an Intel Z68 board which has a PCI-E 2.0 slot.
Will there be any disadvantages ? If any please specify !

Not with a 1050. Its not going to come close to saturating the bandwidth of even a 2.0 slot. Don't think even high end single GPUs are held back by 2.0 slots. People are running cards like the 1080 off of 2.0 slots w/o any issues. And even if there's a performance difference with high end cards, we are talking about a few percent. Nothing you would ever notice.

Btw, if you're running a Sandy Bridge processor on that board, then know that even those processors only support PCI-E 2.0. So even if you had a board with a 3.0 slot, it wouldn't matter cause the SB series CPUs don't support 3.0 natively. Not that it makes any difference performance wise especially as far as a 1050 is concerned but just thought you should know this.

Last edited:
IMO, running high-end gpus in sli/xfire seems to be the only situation where pcie2 might bottleneck since the available bandwidth is split among the gpu's.
i can't think of any gpu than can use all the bandwidth of pcie2 by itself.

Back