Complete noobhead - Need to learn C# and javascript

comp@ddict

Skilled
As the title says, I don't even know 1,2,3 or a,b,or "c", let alone the other alphabets of these 2 languages.

Which is the absolute besk book/ebook you would suggest for C# and Javascript from basic to usable for game engines like Unity 3D?

E Balagurusamy has a book on C#, which quite good to learn from scratch.

Javascript Complete Ref or black book are good choices.

Also If you like Head first series, both C# and Javascript are available.

OT: No one is noob, All new learners are future masters

okay, here's the thing...

how much of a difference really is C# and C++??

See, I'm onto unity and udk, but see UDK uses C++, and Unity uses C#.... this is really confusing me

^^^Both are completely different languages

This hello world problem in C++

PHP:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void main()

{

cout << "Hello World!" << endl;   

cout << "Welcome to C++ Programming" << endl; 

}

Hello world in C#

PHP:
public class Hello1

{

public static void Main()

{

System.Console.WriteLine("Hello, World!");

}

}

hmm, C# seems lesser lines and internet results show many people saying it easier to learn...

whatddya day guys??

On with C++ and hence UDK or C# and Unity3d?

Yes C# is easier to learn. But if you have knowledge of C++ if more easier. :p

Well, simple OOP knowledge would do also :)

And experience with any OOP Programming would be a plus

comp@ddict said:
hmm, C# seems lesser lines and internet results show many people saying it easier to learn...

whatddya day guys??

On with C++ and hence UDK or C# and Unity3d?
If you are looking towards game development. I strongly suggest to first learn C++. Its gonna be hard but worth the effort. it will all pay off eventually. you will be a better programmer

Okay... C++...

one last thing, where does javascript fall? is it again completely different than these two? (unity uses both c# and javascript)

comp@ddict said:
Okay... C++...

one last thing, where does javascript fall? is it again completely different than these two? (unity uses both c# and javascript)

Its not exactly javascript, as javascript is mostly used on client side for browser DOM manipulation .

Take my advice, start with C++ first. Because C++ is language where you can learn all core programming concepts which would be handy when learning other programming languages. And once you can program well in C++. then you have won't any trouble learning any of the languages out there.

Lastly, if you need a book, then get C++ Primer 4ed (Paperback)

by Stanley B. Lippman, Barbara E Moo, Josee Lajoie

Scripting is built on Mono, the open source implementation of the .NET Framework. Programmers can use UnityScript (a custom language with JavaScript-inspired syntax), C# or Boo (which has a Python-inspired syntax).

^^^as it says, its a custom language with JavaScript-inspired syntax

Gaurish, the stuff was really helpful. However, I beg to differ on the point of learning C++ first.

C# is a complete and beautiful language on its own. Learning C++ before C# has its overheads in terms of the plentiful "unlearning" to do when it comes to language constructs/inheritance/pointers and most importantly the framework feature awareness without which a dev is incomplete these days. I'd reckon starting with the MSDN C# guide. C# Programming Guide It is a near complete reference of the language features its importance application areas. Once you are comfortable coding in the language and using the VS IDE (Which I believe is a key step as a dev as the IDE is the place where you'd spend most of your pro life).

JS on the other hand is a deceptively powerful weapon to have (Which I do not possess having entered the web dev/arch scene in the age of JQuery :) ) Scripting and programming complement each other so a compare is not valid. You'd better know both.

sarang said:
Gaurish, the stuff was really helpful. However, I beg to differ on the point of learning C++ first.

Sure, I am just expressing my opinion:)

C# is a complete and beautiful language on its own. Learning C++ before C# has its overheads in terms of the plentiful "unlearning" to do when it comes to language constructs/inheritance/pointers and most importantly the framework feature awareness without which a dev is incomplete these days.

True but learning a language like C++ has its own advantages. It exposes you to some core concepts that would make you a better programner. language is C# can hide programming fundamentals that every programmer should know. For example, how would you know what a memory leak is when you never managed memory yourself. Further, pointers operations are the fastest than any other operation if you know to use them.

Again, I am not saying that everyone should start programming in C++(Heck, even I don't. its time consuming :p) but it helps lay a solid foundation for your entire career.

JS on the other hand is a deceptively powerful weapon to have (Which I do not possess having entered the web dev/arch scene in the age of JQuery :) ) Scripting and programming complement each other so a compare is not valid. You'd better know both.

Javascript is most misunderstood language, but now people are slowing learning its power and what it can do. Heck, entire mobile OS can be build upon JavaScript(hint: webOS) Anyways, here is my take on JavaScript: JavaScript: I hate you but I Love you, too | Gaurish Sharma Live

All java/C# programmers know what a memory leak is. Every java/C# professional uses tools to detect and fix memory leaks(generally referred to as memory retention). You don't need to know c++ to know memory leaks. And with compared to what pointer operations are faster?

Back