CPU/Mobo Complete upgrade vs partial upgrade

Fenix

Radhey Krishan
Skilled
i7 2600k - Currently running at 4.8 from the stock of 3.4 with the temps below 65 degrees. Max i have touched with it is 5.3 i.e 53X multiplier. Dont know if i won the silicon lottery or not.
Asus P8P67 Pro - Love this Motherboard and runs stable, no issues whatsoever.
12GB RAM (weird combo and i know it) - 4GB @ 1600 Mhz and 8GB @ 1333 Mhz.
CPU is cooled by a Cooler master Hyper 212 in a Push-Pull Config.
Cabinet - Storm trooper from Cooler master.

All these are over 6 year old components and running fine. I don't know what is the best price to sell it. Is asking 25k too much ?

i7 2600k - Currently running at 4.8 from the stock of 3.4 with the temps below 65 degrees. Max i have touched with it is 5.3 i.e 53X multiplier. Dont know if i won the silicon lottery or not.
Asus P8P67 Pro - Love this Motherboard and runs stable, no issues whatsoever.
12GB RAM (weird combo and i know it) - 4GB @ 1600 Mhz and 8GB @ 1333 Mhz.
CPU is cooled by a Cooler master Hyper 212 in a Push-Pull Config.
Cabinet - Storm trooper from Cooler master.

All these are over 6 year old components and running fine. I don't know what is the best price to sell it. Is asking 25k too much ?

Yes that's 15k too much IMO, it's a sandy bridge build after all.

Don't mind me guys, but honestly speaking I feel that many of you are expecting a bit much from older gen components especially the i3/i5's with no HT. We are at 10th gen for Intel Core i family and new Ryzen 4x is on the way. I personally wouldn't pay half of what the Ryzen 3 costs for these i5's. Doesn't matter how good the Intel chips used to be. Same logic applies to other older gen components.
No offense to any seller. If you can get the price which you ask then good for you.

Last edited:
@Fenix : 2600k is an antique in this day and age with no avx2. Max a board + cpu + some ram is worth is 7-8k. Also P67 is a buggy chipset with massive issues with sata 3. It was canned by intel within a few months.

What issues, i have run this setup 24x7 @ 4.8 Ghz as a download right for almost 8 months before there was a power cut and no issues. Can you elaborate more on the issues and how it was a Buggy chipset ? I have overclocked it with a 53 multiplier. Plus if i check across the videos posted on youtube its still not a bad CPU after all.

What issues, i have run this setup 24x7 @ 4.8 Ghz as a download right for almost 8 months before there was a power cut and no issues. Can you elaborate more on the issues and how it was a Buggy chipset ? I have overclocked it with a 53 multiplier. Plus if i check across the videos posted on youtube its still not a bad CPU after all.

I avoided the p67 chipset for exactly this reason when I got sandybridge. It was much cheaper than z68. I still went for the latter.

Also a new ryzen 3100 will run circles around this chip. All of us have had sandybridge once upon a time. I sold a 15k z68 board, a 2500k and 16GB ddr3 1600 for 16 or thereabouts maybe 4-5 years ago.

I avoided the p67 chipset for exactly this reason when I got sandybridge. It was much cheaper than z68. I still went for the latter.

Also a new ryzen 3100 will run circles around this chip. All of us have had sandybridge once upon a time. I sold a 15k z68 board, a 2500k and 16GB ddr3 1600 for 16 or thereabouts maybe 4-5 years ago.

If you have a desktop system with six SATA ports driven off of P67/H67 chipset, there’s a chance (at least 5%) that during normal use some of the 3Gbps ports will stop working over the course of 3 years (never happened in my case).

So i copied this from Anandtech (I remember they would write good articles at one point of time). To add to this, I have Eight Sata Ports and 7 of them are running hard-drives to this day. 4 of them are 160GB hard-drives (i am too lazy probably to upgrade them). Then the boot drive is Velociraptor (150GB) which is running on the SATA 3 Ports. The rest two are 500GB and 2TB WD Red. Going by this, not all Motherboard users were impacted. I for sure know that my Motherboard is not that revision, it was Revision 3 or the last one that came for retail.

@Fenix: Doesn't mean it will not fail in future. When intel acknowledged there is a bug and the chipset needs to be canned, I am sure they very well knew the reasons why. As mentioned in the article - board revisions have nothing to do with it. This is a chipset issue and intel didn't respin the chipset so each single one is affected. They made a new chipset - Z68 for the future.

Feel free to price it at whatever you think is right. After all we are here to give advice - the hardware is yours and it is upto you to decide what you want for it. As for buyers, that is another story.

@Fenix: Doesn't mean it will not fail in future. When intel acknowledged there is a bug and the chipset needs to be canned, I am sure they very well knew the reasons why. As mentioned in the article - board revisions have nothing to do with it. This is a chipset issue and intel didn't respin the chipset so each single one is affected. They made a new chipset - Z68 for the future.

Feel free to price it at whatever you think is right. After all we are here to give advice - the hardware is yours and it is upto you to decide what you want for it. As for buyers, that is another story.

The only reason i was selling this out was because of the upgrade, till Sandy Bridge i would upgrade every 2 years but now i dont see Intel offering like a spectacular bang for the buck. I am crossroads right now -
Option 1 is to upgrade and i have thought of 3950x+x570 or wait till September and see what folds next from AMD.
Option 2 is to stick with the current config and get a D15S or 280mm AIO and overclock 2600k to 5Ghz at lowers temps, upgrade to an SSD, get the RAM to 16GB or maybe 32GB. Get a good GPU and use this config till it dies for few years more. I mostly play RTS so i am okay if i get 60 frames. My monitor does 60 frames @ 1200p, its a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor.

Option 1 is to upgrade and i have thought of 3950x+x570 or wait till September and see what folds next from AMD.
With this option, I would suggest to wait it out. Also note that Ryzen 4000 will probably be final processors AM4 socket.

Option 2 is to stick with the current config and get a D15S or 280mm AIO and overclock 2600k to 5Ghz at lowers temps, upgrade to an SSD, get the RAM to 16GB or maybe 32GB. Get a good GPU and use this config till it dies for few years more.

If going this route, Priorities SSD upgrade; it will make a significant difference. Do not add RAM unless absolutely necessary - might not see need of this after SSD upgrade.

No point getting a 3950x now with 4000 series upon us. AMD claims to have improved FP performance by 18-20% so it is definitely worth the wait.

Don't spend any more money on that old system other than maybe adding a cheap SSD.

No point getting a 3950x now with 4000 series upon us. AMD claims to have improved FP performance by 18-20% so it is definitely worth the wait.

Don't spend any more money on that old system other than maybe adding a cheap SSD.
Agreed. SSD is always nice.

Option 2 is to stick with the current config and get a D15S or 280mm AIO and overclock 2600k to 5Ghz at lowers temps, upgrade to an SSD, get the RAM to 16GB or maybe 32GB. Get a good GPU and use this config till it dies for few years more. I mostly play RTS so i am okay if i get 60 frames. My monitor does 60 frames @ 1200p, its a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor.
Dont invest in DDR3 at all it will be a wasted investment after all. Upgrade to an ssd which you can tnfer to a new rig later and get a used gpu probably 1060 or 1070 as anything later will bottleneck the setup.
Btw I have similar setup still using my i7 2600 non K varianty on Asus P8Z68-V mobo and 18gb ram. rock solid no hiccups. Me too looking for an upgrade but only once I get rid of this setup and now the Amd 4xxx series thing.

What about launch price? Wont it take few months or more given the covid scenario to actually have 4000 series affordable?

Dont invest in DDR3 at all it will be a wasted investment after all. Upgrade to an ssd which you can tnfer to a new rig later and get a used gpu probably 1060 or 1070 as anything later will bottleneck the setup.
Btw I have similar setup still using my i7 2600 non K varianty on Asus P8Z68-V mobo and 18gb ram. rock solid no hiccups. Me too looking for an upgrade but only once I get rid of this setup and now the Amd 4xxx series thing.

What about launch price? Wont it take few months or more given the covid scenario to actually have 4000 series affordable?

And then PS5 has added more to the confusion. I have a back log of almost 200 plus games and i keep on hoarding them like anything. PS3 was the last console i owned so no games played on this gen of Consoles. Might get an SSD for the current rig and look forward for what the next gen CPU/GPU have to offer for the price to performance ratio. Yeah, i am not hoping that we will be getting those parts any sooner or any cheaper.

Back