Computer cleaning

rajil.s

Adept
I am curious what hardware people use to clean their desktops. A hari dryer is a clear no due to static current and I dont see much widespread use of compressed air cans.

I use microfiber cloth now. Removes dust easily, does not leave stains and streaks and absorbs any water drops left behind. Best way to clean is use damp microfiber first then clean again with dry microfiber.

There's deals on microfiber cloth's today.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B013R7XPB8

Every 4-6months its an in-depth cleaning session for my complete pc. Right from cables, spike guard, monitors, speakers, kb, mouse, to every component inside cabby.

Its a 8 hrs shift task as I dismantle whole stuff- cpu, cooler, dissemble gpu, cooler, rams, hdds, led lighting, fans. Except for the mobo every gets removed or dismantled and carefully cleaned both using brushes & clothes minutely moistly and then dried in sunny sun. It then all looks as good as brand new.
Its one hell of a task but the satisfaction I get is unimaginable!

My balcony becomes my garage and I feel embarrassed due to being in a center of attraction as people & kids from other homes curiously keep looking what I'm doing as if doing some homely rocket science.

Most dirty seasons are rains and winters as moisture accumulates like hell leaving you the only option to unwind and wipe which is all wetish moist dust.
Summers are easy to go as a simple dry pat does the job.

To ease my job i was thinking to buy air blower but I fear the hot air or the air force might be too much & damage critical small soldered circuitry stuff or anything inside.

Last edited:
Air blower blows hot air?

I have been using a vacuum cleaner to clean the dust from my CPU since many years. It also starts to blow hot air after a while... so I don't use it then. But, I was wondering if I should buy an air blower. But, it too blows hot air?

I use microfiber cloth now. Removes dust easily, does not leave stains and streaks and absorbs any water drops left behind. Best way to clean is use damp microfiber first then clean again with dry microfiber.

There's deals on microfiber cloth's today.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B013R7XPB8
I use a costlier brand of microfibre cloth (ordered from Amazon) and they do leave lint on reading glasses. So they might do the same with computer parts too, won't they?

I use a costlier brand of microfibre cloth (ordered from Amazon) and they do leave lint on reading glasses. So they might do the same with computer parts too, won't they?

No no no. Microfiber does not and should not leave any lint or residue behind. That costlier brand might be made from non woven type of microfiber made for a single time use. Those types disintegrate into pieces if you put them in washing machine or wash them.

Back