Computer Engineering as a profession?

kamlash

Disciple
Is Computer Engineering as a profession a wise choice in this time of recession.
And Could any of you give some tips and guidelines on being a successful computer engineer and also to constantly stay updated with computer technology.

Which sub-field in Computer science is the best option economically these days as in AI,software development,software testing or embedded systems etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

You know most of the people have a very wrong method of career selection. You have to ask yourself, would you enjoy working with computers, be it hardware or software, there are innumerable fields you can take up after computer engineering, read about the ones which would interest you.

In the end, you will only excel in the field you like, no matter how good academically you are. You will never be successful, in the field you dont like. Recession is a cyclical phenomenon and currently it has affected almost all the professional strata. Dont listen to the"so called" elders who want you to take up the dream field.

Haha exactly.

You don't choose a career based on recession or stuff like that. Follow your heart with the will to succeed, do something you like and the money & fame shall come automatically.

I graduated in Comp Sci but never really liked it. As fate would have it, lady luck/bhagwan/God opened my eyes and I eventually decided to do something that I love. Life has never been better!

P.S.: A lotta folks recommended Civil or Mechanical engineering as a "good" profession back when the IT bubble had burst. Look where they are right now. Heck, the mecca of civil projects (the UAE) has witnessed massive cost cutting and layoffs on a ginormous scale. On the other hand, the last 5 years have seen unprecented growth in IT.

Aces170 said:
You know most of the people have a very wrong method of career selection. You have to ask yourself, would you enjoy working with computers, be it hardware or software, there are innumerable fields you can take up after computer engineering, read about the ones which would interest you.

In the end, you will only excel in the field you like, no matter how good academically you are. You will never be successful, in the field you dont like. Recession is a cyclical phenomenon and currently it has affected almost all the professional strata. Dont listen to the"so called" elders who want you to take up the dream field.

+100000 to what Aces said.

Pay packets, recession and coolness factors are not the right criteria for choosing your career. In the long run, its the satisfaction that matters and jobs you take up because of such reasons get boring and you will soon feel discontented as if something is missing from your life. One thing I would like to add over Aces post is that people can be successful in things they don't like, but it sure is not going to give them any satisfaction.

I for one know several people who regretted their career selection later in their life. The son of the director of my junior college where I studied was a brilliant guy. He opted for the Math stream for his Intermediate because many of his friends opted for it and he also cleared the Engg Entrance with flying colors and got admitted into Engg. But after completing two years, he felt that it was not what he would like doing, In the end he was really fortunate that he got the chance to go back to his Intermediate, took the biology stream, cleared the medical entrance and also his MBBS and became a successful doctor in the end. But not everyone gets the opportunity to rectify their career selection mistakes like that. I know a number of friends working in various fields who would rather like to be else where even if that's going to fetch them a lesser pay packets.

So what ever you take up, make the choice based on what you would like doing. Don't make recession or other other such factors as your selection criteria.

Adding to what the others have said, don't give into pressure from parents/friends. Do NOT take up a profession/education just cause the majority are doing it. If you are good in your field, there will always be demand for you.

Yes Very wise info.

If you dont take something as a carrer because you like it then you will hate your job. Its interesting that some ppl seem to see that eg, If I learn computers than I can get a high paying job.

I recently started my animation course which I wanted to do from a year earlier and I love animation. I know I like it and I can sit in front of my pc for hours straight and not notice time pass by because I like it so much. Because of that I am sure to continue it as a career.

Do something you like and in 10-20 years time when you are working your ass off you will like what you do and not hate your work.

When you like your work productivity automatically increases too. So your boss will be happy too. :p

Computer Science can't lose demand.. Just think about it, where do you think we will go without computers and computer Engineers? Companies have stopped employing people unnecessarily alright but the demand for intellectually gifted people will always be there in computer science or any other branch. So if youre good at it, its a promising field.

Aces170 said:

completely agree

all above have nicely put points to consider. But one actually needs to know what is really mean in IT industry and any field one chooses.

how about joining openmentor.net portal (developed by Softsmith Infotech Ltd. company) and subscribe to various webinars they conduct and get overview of things. They have one webinar specifically to introduce IT to newbies (probably). Enroll to it ASAP as its starting up today from 5:30pm to 6:30 pm till 14 April (only on weekdays). Hope it helps a lot.

I think it depends on the specialization one chooses in the computer science.......programmer ,networking, AI etc....it all depends on ones interest in that field.

I2IT offers some excellent higher studies and research courses, admissions are one, read more about it!

The International Institute of Information Technology Pune or Isquareit Pune is located at the Rajiv Gandhi Infotech Park, Hinjawadi in Pune. I2IT Pune is a recognized research center for Ph.D in Electronics & Telecom, Computer Engineering and Information Technology of University of Pune & Devi Ahilyabai Vishwa Vidhyalaya (DAVV), Indore. It is a center of higher studies in the field of Information Technology. I2IT Pune is situated close to the offices of top IT companies, like Infosys, Wipro, Tata Technologies and Cognizant.

Isquareit Pune was founded by Mr. Pralhad P. Chhabria who is a well-known industrialist as well as philanthropist and is also the Chairman of the Finolex Group of Companies, and Mr. Kishan P. Chhabria, Managing Director of Finolex Industries Ltd. Isquareit Pune was dedicated to nation by Dr A P J Abdul Kalam, the then President of India in the year 2003.

Affiliated to: International Institute of Information Technology Pune

Courses:

Post Graduate:
School Of Management

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Business Management (APGP-BM)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Information Technology Management (APGP-ITM)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Telecom Management (APGP-TCM)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Biotech Management (APGP-BTM)

School Of Engineering Technology

M.Tech in Computational Fluid Dynamics (M.Tech-CFD) (in association with UPES, Dehradun)

M.Tech in Oil & Gas Engineering (M.Tech-OGE) (in association with UPES, Dehradun)

MBA in Oil & Gas Management (MBA-OGM) (in association with UPES, Dehradun)

Advanced Post Graduate Programmes:

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Software Technologies (APGP-ST)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Networking & Telecommunications (APGP-NTC)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Embedded Systems Design (APGP-ESD)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Microelectronics & VLSI Design (APGP-MVD)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Biotechnology (APGP-BT)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Nanoscience & Nanotechnology (APGP-NST)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Intelligent Systems & Robotics (APGP-ISR)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Business Management (APGP-BM)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Information Technology Management (APGP-ITM)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Telecom Management (APGP-TCM)

Advanced Postgraduate Program in Biotech Management (APGP-BTM)

M Tech, MBA

Doctorate:

Offered

Eligibility:

Post Graduate:

ME / M Tech

The candidate should have done his or her Higher Secondary Examination and Bachelor?s degree in the relevant subject with adequate marks.

MBA

The candidate should have cleared Bachelor?s degree with relevant subject with minimum 50% of marks from any recognized University.

Doctorate:

Master' degree in any relevant field is necessary to be eligible for this Doctorate course.

Admission Procedure:

Post Graduate:

ME / M Tech

The admission is based on the Online Entrance test which is held by the institute or the candidate?s scores in the CET/ ATMA / CAT / GATE / MAT / GMAT / GRE / XAT written test and the personal interview, if necessary.

MBA

Online entrance test is taken out or the candidates? scores in the CET/ ATMA / CAT / GATE / MAT / GMAT / GRE / XAT written test and personal interview as necessary for the admission in this program.

Entrance Test: CAT Exam, ATMA Exam, GATE, MAT Exam, XAT Exam

Doctorate:

The admission process is on the basis of the entrance test and personal interview of the candidate.

Facilities:

Sports

Placements

Digital library

High tech gymnasium

Cultural activities

Contact Address:

Isquareit Pune

P-14, Pune InfoTech Park Phase - 1,

Hinjawadi

Pune - 411 057

Maharashtra

Phone: +91-20-22933441

Fax: +91-20-22934192

Email: info@isquareit.ac.in

Website: IsquareIT, SOET,PG courses in Computational Fluid Dynamics, MBA Oil & Gas, MBA Petroleum Management,MBA Oil & Gas management,CFD courses in India

Back