PC Peripherals Computer shuts down during power cut even with UPS

dejavu619

Disciple
Guys I'm having a huge problem with my UPS and Inverter... Here are the specs of UPS, PSU and Inverter. Please help me out:

Inverter: http://srsenterprises.net/wp-content/themes/srs/images/microtek_offline/pdf/UPS SEBz-850VA.pdf
UPS: http://www.apc.com/shop/in/en/produ...out-auto-shutdown-software-India/P-BX600CI-IN
PSU: http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706329&fid=5022051&lan=nz

The problem is, all the power sockets in my house are supported already by the inverter. But when electricity goes, the computer shuts down which is why I thought of getting a UPS.

Today afternoon there was a power cut and the UPS gave me enough time to shut down the PC but in the evening again there was power cut but the UPS shut down immediately.

Also there are two modes in my inverter: 100 - 300 VA and 180 - 260 VA. Which one do I keep? I read somewhere that my PC won't restart if I don't have a UPS but I keep inverter in 180 - 260 VA mode.Till now it was on 100 - 300 VA mode. The inverter has pure sine-wave.

Do I even need the UPS or will keeping the inverter in 180 - 260 VA mode be sufficient?

And in the afternoon and evening I was playing the same game without running any additional tasks or programs then why did the PC not shut down in the afternoon but in the evening it shut down the moment there was a power cut?

we have 1.5kva pure sine wave inverter in our home and my pc has 600VA V-Guard UPS , as soon as the power goes and inverter kicks in UPS will go to backup mode.
So the problem is UPS is not able to handle the load in your case , one solution is lessen the load on computer UPS by connecting monitor and speakers directly to the wall socket using spike strip it will lessen the load on UPS during backup mode.[DOUBLEPOST=1446199383][/DOUBLEPOST]if you don't have voltage problem in your locality keep your inverter in 180-260V range.

we have 1.5kva pure sine wave inverter in our home and my pc has 600VA V-Guard UPS , as soon as the power goes and inverter kicks in UPS will go to backup mode.
So the problem is UPS is not able to handle the load in your case , one solution is lessen the load on computer UPS by connecting monitor and speakers directly to the wall socket using spike strip it will lessen the load on UPS during backup mode.[DOUBLEPOST=1446199383][/DOUBLEPOST]if you don't have voltage problem in your locality keep your inverter in 180-260V range.

I have kept inverter in that range.

Also, technician said that UPS can take load of up to 360W and give sufficient time for PC to turn off. But my configuration consumes lesser than that only. So why is it not able to handle the load? Is the unit faulty? Monitor and speakers are not connected to UPS. Only PC is connected

from my experience APC UPS are very sensitive to Indian power condition.
Can u post specs of your pc.

Intel i5-4460 Processor
GTX 960 2GB GPU
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Motherboard (2 USB 3.0 + 4 USB)
1 Blu ray optical drive
1 SATA 7200 rpm Seagate HDD (Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB)
1 SATA 5400 rpm WD HDD (WD1600AABS 160GB)
1 8GB DDR3 RAM Stick

Power consumption should be below 360W and UPS should be able to handle it...

You already have the answer.

Today afternoon there was a power cut and the UPS gave me enough time to shut down the PC but in the evening again there was power cut but the UPS shut down immediately.

Means either the ups batteries have depleted all its power and so it went off in the evening.

Advice you to fully charge the ups and then check it.

You already have the answer.

Means either the ups batteries have depleted all its power and so it went off in the evening.

Advice you to fully charge the ups and then check it.

I had made sure that the UPS got charged between afternoon power cut and evening power cut so that's not the issue. And it happened again the next day too.

For the time being I have connected my PC directly to an inverter supported socket without UPS but when there was a power cut, the PC shut down again. I thought at least the inverter would be able to handle it? I have kept itin 180 - 260 VA mode, then why did the PC still shut down?

may be the UPS/inverter has lengthy delay in switchover that may be the problem.

If any of your friend or neighbour have another model UPS give it a try.

Yes UPS should have least delay, so I am suggesting try another UPS.if it works then your UPS is the culprit.
Did you try powering on the PC in UPS mode tested the backup time??
if it doesn't switch on then its overloading.

Yes UPS should have least delay, so I am suggesting try another UPS.if it works then your UPS is the culprit.
Did you try powering on the PC in UPS mode tested the backup time??
if it doesn't switch on then its overloading.

Can you repeat the instructions again? I didn't understand. What exactly should I do?

1. Can you arrange a different computer UPS. If yes then use it for a day and observe how it behaves during power cut. If the different UPS works good i.e if the PC don't shut down during power cut then your UPS has problem.
2. Using your current UPS switch on the PC and run it on backup mode i.e without main power supply. Calculate how much backup time your are getting untill its says low battery, if the PC won't switch on in back up mode then your UPS is overloading and cannot provide the backup.

Last edited:
Inverters turnaround shift time is longer than an ups.
What you can do is forget the inverter ftw,
Charge ups fully and simply connect the ups to the mains and power on pc. Then manually switch off the mains and check, if pc stays intact/on. If the pc doesnt shutdown or reboot and still stays on as is it indicates the ups is functioning properly.

Theres something wrong between your inverter and ups, frequencies not matching during power shift.

So you need to troubleshoot on that part.

My advice, get a desi made ups which are all 100% compatible with inverters and generators and thats also mentioned on their product pages.

Dump the apc trash or exchange for buy back.

For more info. refer to my post here.

Inverters turnaround shift time is longer than an ups.
What you can do is forget the inverter ftw,
Charge ups fully and simply connect the ups to the mains and power on pc. Then manually switch off the mains and check, if pc stays intact/on. If the pc doesnt shutdown or reboot and still stays on as is it indicates the ups is functioning properly.

Theres something wrong between your inverter and ups, frequencies not matching during power shift.

So you need to troubleshoot on that part.

My advice, get a desi made ups which are all 100% compatible with inverters and generators and thats also mentioned on their product pages.

Dump the apc trash or exchange for buy back.

For more info. refer to my post here.

I noticed that both UPS and inverter are able to support PC when it is idle , no games or programs running. You are suggesting booting the PC and seeing if UPS is able to handle, but will that be a good indicator of whether the UPS is fine or not?

I wanted to test UPS when playing games because that's when load is more than usual. Is the power consumption of a PC when it is booting high or lower than when it is idle?

:facepalm: Why you not getting me? Have spoon feedingly mentioned in my above post.

Directly connect ups to mains and run your pc and game. Pause the game and turn off the mains, then your ups will be on battery mode right??? Then resume the game and check. If the pc doesnt boot means ups is good.
But also dont expect it to be stable for longer period as on gaming, power consumption is too much than normal and your is just 600va ups so it may or may not even last for 5 mins or so.

And if your pc reboots or shuts off then Your ups may be bottle neck for your system setup.

And if it previously supported and now not, means its battery is degrading or either fault with your ups pcb going bad on some part.

Also now list your full system specs here so we can better help you further.

:facepalm: Why you not getting me? Have spoon feedingly mentioned in my above post.

Directly connect ups to mains and run your pc and game. Pause the game and turn off the mains, then your ups will be on battery mode right??? Then resume the game and check. If the pc doesnt boot means ups is good.
But also dont expect it to be stable for longer period as on gaming, power consumption is too much than normal and your is just 600va ups so it may or may not even last for 5 mins or so.

And if your pc reboots or shuts off then Your ups may be bottle neck for your system setup.

And if it previously supported and now not, means its battery is degrading or either fault with your ups pcb going bad on some part.

Also now list your full system specs here so we can better help you further.

I understood the steps. You didn't mention to play game in your earlier post, you simply asked to boot the PC so I asked you if PC consumes more power while booting as compared to when PC is idle.

System specs I have mentioned above, what more is needed?

The inverter has pure sine-wave.
It's not a full-time pure sine wave inverter. This is applicable only during "UPS mode". Find out if there's a separate button to switch it over to UPS mode, which will prevent PC-reboots.

I have kept itin 180 - 260 VA mode, then why did the PC still shut down?
180-260 V (not VA) has nothing to do with supporting your PC (known as UPS mode), unless your inverter manual says so.

... so I asked you if PC consumes more power while booting as compared to when PC is idle.
It's called cold-booting and under-powered UPSs don't support it. You'll have to try it out yourself to know the answer. EDIT: yes, cold-boot consumes more power in comparison to idle mode.

In any case, check your UPS batteries esp., if they are around 3 years old.

Hey guys,

I carried out the steps...

1. Turned Inverter OFF
2. Plugged only PC to UPS (no monitor or other devices) and UPS to Power Socket
3. Played Assassin's Creed Unity for 30-40 minutes
4. Turned off Mains Supply

And UPS was not able to hold the PC on for even a single second... I calculated the load wattage of my PC and it is showing 330W for 8 hours usage in one day (whereas I use for only 2-3 hours, sometimes 4 hours).. this is the website where I calculated: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

APC technician said the 600 VA UPS can support up to 360 W whereas my PC has max. load of 330W. Now even the inverter has been taken out of the picture. Does this mean UPS is faulty? I don't have another UPS I can use to check and this UPS is only 8 days old...[DOUBLEPOST=1446223961][/DOUBLEPOST]I have a friend who also has a 600 VA UPS with i7-4690K and GTX 970 (4GB) and his UPS works fine...

Last edited:
Back