CPU/Mobo computer will turn ON half the time

arnuld

Disciple
Hi There,

I have this weird problem with my friend's computer. It wont turn on half the time while other half the times it does. Not turning on means it will turn on, motherboard LED will get power and system fan will turn on but no graphics/BIOS on monitor will show up and then it will keep on restarting with same result. When it does not turn on, we will just remove RAM sticks and puth them back on and it then it turns ON without any issues. This has been going on for 2 years and since yesterday computer has refused to turn ON at all and even usual RAM removal/back-on trick is of no help at all. Any ideas ?

It is 10 years old DELL computer, full spec here:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/in/en/indhs1/product-s...

First I thought RAM was the problem because 1 RAM stick is 667 MHz and rest 2 (each 256 MB) are not but then it is running fine from last 2 years with all those and I have put them in correct slots as per the manual. And it does not turn ON even if we remove 667 MHz RAM.

2ut5jja.jpg

2d0kw38.jpg

3599ris.jpg

Last edited:
Could be the solders going bad.
Take out the mobo and do a reflow on it, ie: blow hot hair on the back side using a hair dryer for 1 minute.

There's also the wrap it in tinfoil and chuck it in an oven method but I am not comfortable with it.

Maybe the motherboard is dying or probably dead now. The same happened with a system I had. The service guy told it was some kind of power problem in the mother board and had it changed with a new MB.

I had the same problem in my previous gaming pc after 6 years of usage.
It had a 9800GT GPU and 2x2 GB RAM. After a lot of permutation and combination, it worked 100% after removing my GPU and 1 RAM chip.
Working fine ever since in my brother's office (startup).

I'd suggest using just 1 ram and check if it solves the problem. Age has taken its toll.

I had the same problem in my previous gaming pc after 6 years of usage.
It had a 9800GT GPU and 2x2 GB RAM. After a lot of permutation and combination, it worked 100% after removing my GPU and 1 RAM chip.
Working fine ever since in my brother's office (startup).

I'd suggest using just 1 ram and check if it solves the problem. Age has taken its toll.

I did check RAM, one by one. No difference at all. PSU and GPU check have remained. Will do that and tell here.

Back