Budget 20-25K Confused between Moto Z2 Play and OnePlus 5 - Which one to buy?

Corleone

Adept
Hi Guys!

I am currently searching for a good handset and I am torn between Moto Z2 Play and OnePlus 5.

I am not able to take a decision as to which one I should get. I can afford both the phones.

I typically use my phone for the following:

1. Phone calls with call recording either in-built or Bold beast compatible
2. Emails - Office and Personal
3. Virtual meetings - Google Hangouts Meet and Skype for Business
4. VOIP calls - Skype and Google
5. Viewing MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint and PDF documents and occasional editing
6. Listening to Music and Audio Books
7. Taking personal photos and videos

The downsides I see in Z2 Play are:

1. Lenovo updates cycle is now unreliable with and unending wait period for new Android releases and bug fixes

The downsides I see in OnePlus 5 are:

1. No expandable storage
2. No water resistant coating
3. Jelly scrolling effect [I don't know how serious it is]
4. Corning Gorilla Glass 5 I hear is not that effective and is prone to scratches.
5. OnePlus is a new company and so don't know how durable the phones are

Yet, I seem to be tilted towards the OnePlus 5 :p

Any help from you guys n gals would be appreciated.

Also couple of things to be aware of with OnePlus.

1. Jelly scrolling effect in OP5. This is because of inverted display layout and OnePlus considers it normal/expected behavior. I haven't encountered it on my unit though and OnePlus 5T might be completely immune to it.

2. OnePlus seems to have built up a pretty rabid bunch of fanboy's just like Apple and there seem to be a lot many of them on their official forums. If you do ever run into a problem and have to complain on their forums, expect a lot of hostility from these lot or even threads getting closed.

I made a thread on their forums today about how I didn't like OnePlus's tactics of dealing with a new release and refuting information and rumors in order to be able to clear their old stocks. (Keeping mum is one thing and expected, but they did officially refute rumors about a November Launch event)

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...uying-the-oneplus-5-in-last-one-month.677625/

Apparently, the people over there didn't like it one bit and the thread got closed pretty fast. :rolleyes:

Its not like I was saying that I am somehow entitled to a new model and I don't even give a damn about the OnePlus 5T since it doesn't fit my requirements. Still the level of hostility towards a thread criticizing OnePlus is pretty amazing. This sort of thing seems to have happened in threads about the earlier jelly scrolling issue that I pointed out earlier.

Despite that I would still recommend the OnePlus 5T if its anything like the OnePlus 5 that I have. But this is still something you need to be aware of.

OK thank you! I think I should wait up then. It's going to be a long wait :p[DOUBLEPOST=1510579641][/DOUBLEPOST]I see there is also a Nokia 8 with similar specs and price range as the OP5 and OP5T. Anyone has used it? Any views?

Last edited:
Great...:cool: How do you like it?
I never had a flagship or a flagship killer phone. My propensity to keep dropping phones forced me to look for a robust phone which led me to buy a Moto X Force.
Due to Airtel signal problems at home, and the excellent coverage that Jio is providing I had to move to a phone with Gorilla glass 5 which landed me with 1+5T. (Moto is refusing is provide VoLTE firmware upgrade for the X Force even though there is great demand for it which forced me to look away from Lenovo). Here's my list greatest pet peeves / disappointments with the 1+5T when compared to X Force - a non flagship phone (though it costed a bomb at that time).

1. Removal of Do Not Disturb Feature: The idiots at 1+ thought that providing a manual switch for what was an automatic feature is an innovation. Now every night I have to set the phone to Priority mode and remember to turn it on in the morning, else I miss all calls from non-favourite contacts. Also, there is no option to set to priority mode for an hour or two. This again has to be done manually. https://www.greenbot.com/article/29...roid-marshmallows-do-not-disturb-feature.html
  2. Auto Screen-on on notifications: Come On - I just cannot live without it. I can hear a notification beep. The problem is I need to turn on the phone to see what type of notification it is. On the Moto X, it used to turn on for couple of seconds, enough for a quick glance.
  3. No Proximity Sensor: Whenever I needed I could just swipe my hand over the phone and the screen would display for a couple of seconds enough to know if I have any new notifications.
  4. No Standalone Voice Recognition Hardware: I could wake up the Moto X Force from a distance even with the screen turned off (similar to OK Google with the screen on) and dictate activities.
  5. No Twist Gestures: No hardware to turn on flashlight (double chop) and Camera (double twist - very useful).

I guess as I use it more and more I might either get used to what 1+5T offers or miss Moto X Force even more.

My biggest gripes are 1 & 2. Certainly, 1+ should fix the Do Not Disturb issue in double quick time.

I never had a flagship or a flagship killer phone. My propensity to keep dropping phones forced me to look for a robust phone which led me to buy a Moto X Force.
Due to Airtel signal problems at home, and the excellent coverage that Jio is providing I had to move to a phone with Gorilla glass 5 which landed me with 1+5T. (Moto is refusing is provide VoLTE firmware upgrade for the X Force even though there is great demand for it which forced me to look away from Lenovo). Here's my list greatest pet peeves / disappointments with the 1+5T when compared to X Force - a non flagship phone (though it costed a bomb at that time).

1. Removal of Do Not Disturb Feature: The idiots at 1+ thought that providing a manual switch for what was an automatic feature is an innovation. Now every night I have to set the phone to Priority mode and remember to turn it on in the morning, else I miss all calls from non-favourite contacts. Also, there is no option to set to priority mode for an hour or two. This again has to be done manually. https://www.greenbot.com/article/29...roid-marshmallows-do-not-disturb-feature.html
  2. Auto Screen-on on notifications: Come On - I just cannot live without it. I can hear a notification beep. The problem is I need to turn on the phone to see what type of notification it is. On the Moto X, it used to turn on for couple of seconds, enough for a quick glance.
  3. No Proximity Sensor: Whenever I needed I could just swipe my hand over the phone and the screen would display for a couple of seconds enough to know if I have any new notifications.
  4. No Standalone Voice Recognition Hardware: I could wake up the Moto X Force from a distance even with the screen turned off (similar to OK Google with the screen on) and dictate activities.
  5. No Twist Gestures: No hardware to turn on flashlight (double chop) and Camera (double twist - very useful).

I guess as I use it more and more I might either get used to what 1+5T offers or miss Moto X Force even more.

My biggest gripes are 1 & 2. Certainly, 1+ should fix the Do Not Disturb issue in double quick time.
I think u really need to watch some videos about oneplus on YouTube specially the ones which shows the features on oneplus phones.

I think u really need to watch some videos about oneplus on YouTube specially the ones which shows the features on oneplus phones.
Thanks for that suggestions. Is there any particular one or two to get me off to a quick start? I would love to get the Automatic Do Not Disturb feature working. I can learn to live without the rest and start enjoying what 1+ brings to the table.

You can use tasker and similar tools to achieve this.
Come on!!! After paying 38K for a phone it just should work out of the box. Using tools such as Tasker to achieve features natively built in OS is not acceptable. Think like a customer not like a tech geek or a developer (no, offence... I know you are only trying to help.)

Point #2 is available, you need to switch that on: settings --> display --> Ambient display

Coming from Moto X Pure I miss # 3 and #5 myself.

It does have proximity sensor. It just doesn't have glance software feature I think.

Lift to wake: With the OnePlus 5T you can have the screen wake up just by lifting the phone. To activate this feature, simply tap the "Lift up display" toggle in the display settings.

Ambient display: You can also set your OnePlus to wake up whenever you receive a notification. Activating it is very simple. Like the proximity wake option, just switch on the toggle in the settings menu. Rather than have a fully active screen, Ambient display mode is a black screen with white text/notifications.

Moto X Pure does not have an IR blaster or receiver. Secondly, how would an IR receiver even help to detect proximity and why would any manufacturer even setup a IR receiver on the front of the phone?
Moto X Pure has a proximity sensor and that is what it would be using for the feature.

Lift to wake: With the OnePlus 5T you can have the screen wake up just by lifting the phone. To activate this feature, simply tap the "Lift up display" toggle in the display settings.

Ambient display: You can also set your OnePlus to wake up whenever you receive a notification. Activating it is very simple. Like the proximity wake option, just switch on the toggle in the settings menu. Rather than have a fully active screen, Ambient display mode is a black screen with white text/notifications.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

You made my life so much easier now. If only, there is a way to get back the auto enable / disable do-not-disturb feature instead of the the hardware toggle....

I am still waiting for some good soul to guide towards those one or two great startup videos on the awesomeness of OxygenOS that I need to catch up on to appreciate the OnePus 5T.

Actually, it may be wiser to Google first :p

First link from the G http://www.droid-life.com/2016/02/01/moto-x-pure-edition-ir-sensors/

The phone has some IR wizardry.

Two features that most people coming from the Moto world have difficulty adjusting with a new android phone is not having the Moto Voice (the ability to wake up the phone without the phone screen being active) and the IR proximity feature combined with the notifications display. Actually the hardware features on the Moto phones are top notch (twist to open the camera, shake for the flash light etc apart from the moto voice and proximity sensor).

Back